Sennheiser HD700

THE-FUZZ15

Hey guys, 

If I wanted to use Sennheiser HD700's for games and movies on my PC, what would I need to power them with? Would a soundcard be enough?

your motherboard unless it's old as my grandpa

Wouldn't it be extremely quiet running from the mobo?

you probably want some kind of Amp + Dac for them but you could always try them with Mobo audioports.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

your motherboard unless it's old as my grandpa

the plug is not 3.5 it's big so he would need adapters 

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

the plug is not 3.5 it's big so he would need adapters 

if im not mistaken sennheiser ships 6.4 to 3.5 adapters with the hd700.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

The HD700 is amazing. I actually prefer the 700 than the 800.

Big chance you'd need an amp, but don't think about it just yet. Get it, try plugging directly. If it's not loud enough, then browse for an amp, it's not too late then. 

Big chance you'd need an amp, but don't think about it just yet. Get it, try plugging directly. If it's not loud enough, then browse for an amp, it's not too late then. 

really? everyone was always so disappointed with the HD700.  And by everyone I mean everyone at Head-Fi.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

really? everyone was always so disappointed with the HD700.  And by everyone I mean everyone at Head-Fi.

Dunno if it's a new rev. or something, but it sounds amazing. Tried it at Sennheiser's booth, side by side with the 800, Even at the same price, I'd still pick the 700, let alone with 1:2 price they are right now....

Will an amp only allow you to play them louder or does it improve sound quality completely? (Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to audio)

Will an amp only allow you to play them louder or does it improve sound quality completely? (Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to audio)

I would suggest something a bit cheaper than the HD700s if you're new to audio.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

I would suggest something a bit cheaper than the HD700s if you're new to audio.

Well I was thinking that if I got the HD700's I wouldn't need to upgrade at all and plus I have the opportunity to get a pair cheap.

Well I was thinking that if I got the HD700's I wouldn't need to upgrade at all and plus I have the opportunity to get a pair cheap.

What is cheap? You can always grab the HD650s or 600s. A lot of people seem to not like the sound of the 700s so I would suggest you at least listen to them somewhere if you can before you buy drop the money on them. What kind of music do you listen to?

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

a good deal on a headphone you might not like is still going to end with you ditching the headphones and buying another pair.. So test them somewhere...

but i was planning on buying them, but i read on a forum they need an amp or something to make them actual sound great, so keep in mind that you need to invest in a tube amp or something :) to make them come alive

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

a good deal on a headphone you might not like is still going to end with you ditching the headphones and buying another pair.. So test them somewhere...

but i was planning on buying them, but i read on a forum they need an amp or something to make them actual sound great, so keep in mind that you need to invest in a tube amp or something :) to make them come alive

Do you think the Asus xonar essence one will be appropriate?

A different DAC can alter how the sound is being decoded. An amp can give more power to drive the headphone, and also give some coloration on the sound. They both can alter the sound (for better or worse). AFAIK, higher end Sennheisers are quite sensitive to amp differences.

You can get the O2/ODAC combo for nice transparent sound. Alternatively, get the Aune T1 MK2. It got a pre-amp tube on its DAC circuit, so changing the tube = changing the sounds a bit. 

Most important part out of all that is your ears though. My brother can't tell a difference between an iPhone 4 and a $2000+ audio player, so to him, that extra $2000 means nothing. That's the tricky part. There's a chance that you go and get a few thousands of dollars worth of amp, but can't tell any difference. That's why if you wanna get an amp, better go with the middle-class ones, like those two I mentioned.

Dunno if it's a new rev. or something, but it sounds amazing. Tried it at Sennheiser's booth, side by side with the 800, Even at the same price, I'd still pick the 700, let alone with 1:2 price they are right now....

That's interesting, I was also under the impression that people were generally disappointed with the HD700's. I should try to get them for a test so I could compare them side by side with my HD650's and HD800's.

That's interesting, I was also under the impression that people were generally disappointed with the HD700's. I should try to get them for a test so I could compare them side by side with my HD650's and HD800's.

HD600 and 650 never appealed to me, dunno why. Sounds too flat for me, thus, 'less fun'.

Overall, HD800 is better than 700, in the sense of clarity, frequency separation, and the crazy wide soundstage. HD700 sounds very warm with smooth (not necessarily big, but smooth) bass. I like warm tone, that's why I love the 700 more than 800. 

I'd say the 700 and 800, being the top of the line, got very distinct sound signatures that you 'either like it or not'. 

Edit: there's also a possibility of amps. I think the 700 and 800 are very sensitive to what amp it's using (sensitive to sound coloration), so those people who gave bad reviews, maybe using an amp that the 700 'don't like'. Tried the 800 first time with an ALO amp (international or something), and second time with the sennheiser amp, along with the 700.

positive reviews of the 700 are very few and far between compared to negative ones IMO, mayflower just bought some the other day and can't stand them either

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

They are pretty disappointing.

send them to me so i can use them while my LCD-2's are getting fixed

I will send them to shearme afterwards 

:D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

send them to me so i can use them while my LCD-2's are getting fixed

I will send them to shearme afterwards 

:D

Audiopeelz review rotation? Am I inclooded?

More info plz.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I don't even care about the hd700's

I'm just disappointed @Lays never asked me if I could fix his lcd2's. :(

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I don't even care about the hd700's

I'm just disappointed @Lays never asked me if I could fix his lcd2's. :(

It's ok, tower. It's ok.  :(

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?