GTX 970 not as great as I thought :-(

I/O

Even still 1450 to 1600Mhz is like what maybe 2fps difference.

Lol what?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Even still 1450 to 1600Mhz is like what maybe 2fps difference.

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I will say this again, GL and have fun with your new card!! :D

I don't care about power consumption just performance for money. There are low noise R9 290 cards as well and I also could care less about heat I mean it's not like you have to hold the card in you lap while you play LOL.

That's the point, there aren't any quiet 290 cards. http://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/781674/faithh7/graphics-cards-comparison-table-31

They all suffer from coil whine which is normal for such a card with that power consumption, with low power consumption cards coil whine is quite rare.

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I will say this again, GL and have fun with your new card!! :D

I am just disappointed cause I bought into the hype and then seen LTT review on the 970 STRIX and was let down that it did not perform as everyone else is saying.

That's the point, there aren't any quiet 290 cards. http://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/781674/faithh7/graphics-cards-comparison-table-31

They all suffer from coil whine which is normal for such a card with that power consumption, with low power consumption cards coil whine is quite rare.

The Sapphire cards are really low noise.

You may wanna re clarify that statement, it's wrong.

COIL WHINE - NOT ALL DO.

Loud yes (esp above 60% fanspeeds) ,. but have never heard my Gigabyte 290-OC coil whine... (Yes I know what coil whine is, I had a 7950)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You may wanna re clarify that statement, it's wrong.

COIL WHINE - NOT ALL DO.

Loud yes (esp above 60% fanspeeds) ,. but have never heard my Gigabyte 290-OC coil whine... (Yes I know what coil whine is, I had a 7950)

It's not, coil whine is always but always there. It depends on which frequency your ears can hear. If it's 50K no human ear will hear that, it runs at 24K you might hear it but someone else won't hear it at all. Runs at 3K you hear it. A game running at 50000 fps will always whine, the load plays a role because a GPU doesn't whine at idle but only under load. You'll never get a 295x2 that doesn't coil whine. Years ago I used to buy used cards just to be sure I won't get one that doesnt whine, well yeah seller claimed it doesnt whine but it was whining horribly.

My Supernova doesnt whine at all until around 800W load.

About fan noise, what you might find quiet is not what I'll find quiet. See how many people sprayed around the reference 780 is quiet but it isn't.

The Sapphire cards are really low noise.

You've seen the 290x vapor-x at 60dBa earlier which you called quiet >.> Go buy one if you're so convinced about it.

It's not, coil whine is always but always there. It depends on which frequency your ears can hear. If it's 50K no human ear will hear that, it runs at 24K you might hear it but someone else won't hear it at all. Runs at 3K you hear it. A game running at 50000 fps will always whine, the load plays a role because a GPU doesn't whine at idle but only under load.

My Supernova doesnt whine at all until around 800W load.

About fan noise, what you might find quiet is not what I'll find quiet. See how many people sprayed around the reference 780 is quiet but it isn't.

Ahhh I see.. I do recall my screaming 7950 actually.... because of the 3000fps on Crysis's menu, and with that first bench before 3Dmarks Firestrike.

Cheers for the info.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You've seen the 290x vapor-x at 60dBa earlier which you called quiet >.> Go buy one if you're so convinced about it.

Just going off of this LTT video it's looks like they got an ultra great silicon lottery winner of a GTX 780 and that the R9 290 is just as fast as the 970. I might have to cancle and go with an R9 290 because it performs as good as a 970 and come with 3 free games for the same price as 970 in Canadian pricing.

k... well it costs the same or less, consumes less power outputs less heat is more reliable (If Nvidia didn't go backwards from the 700 series)) overclocks better due to the lower heat output it is often quieter it has better IO and it better in every single way. The never settle games are all pretty old and at best a $60 value anyways....

When do threads like this never turn into a troll thread? It just becomes a pissing match with various reviewer links thrown at each other. Either buy the card and be merry, or stick to what you have.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black | Corsair TX750v2 | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz @ 1.27V | Corsair H105 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 PC3-12800 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Axiom Signature III 240GB SSD | WDC 1TB Blue | Hitachi 750GB

I use a 'moron filter' on tech forums. If I don't respond to your post, considered yourself filtered out.

Says 290 is loud than posts video on R9 290 at varying speeds LOL. All cards are loud at or near 100% fan speed. Fact is that card probably never goes off idle or much off idle fan speed.

Says 290 is loud than posts video on R9 290 at varying speeds LOL. All cards are loud at or near 100% fan speed. Fact is that card probably never goes off idle or much off idle fan speed.

Why don't you just do this. Buy whatever product you want and do something that isn't shitting on other products for no reason?

There's unigine heaven running in the background, watch closely at 0:15 how the colors of that dragon is filling up and few secs later you see the stones. You're not going to run unigine with manual fan control. Ah no, the card doesn't sit at idle speed under full load. The lightning is quieter than the 290x vapor under full load; http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5540/8/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-oc-4-gb-review-geluidsproductie and runs warmer http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5540/7/sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-oc-4-gb-review-koeling

Watch their 780 strix video, that 780 is significantly quieter and the coil whine is much quieter and according to hardware.info the 970 strix is at 38 dBa and the 780 Strix at 52Ba so thats a 14 dBa difference which is 2.5x louder.

Why don't you just do this. Buy whatever product you want and do something that isn't shitting on other products for no reason?

When the hell was I shitting on products ? Just said that I am not as pleased as I when all the hype was pointing toward the 970 being faster tangibly than an R9 290. Fact remains as indicated in the OP video from LTT that OC for OC the R9 290x/non X and 970 are about even in performance.

Watch their 780 strix video, that 780 is significantly quieter and the coil whine is much quieter and according to hardware.info the 970 strix is at 38 dBa and the 780 Strix at 52Ba so thats a 14 dBa difference which is 2.5x louder. ...

Please back on topic I don't care about how loud you think the 290 is LOL.

When the hell was I shitting on products ? Just said that I am not as pleased as I when all the hype was pointing toward the 970 being faster tangibly than an R9 290. Fact remains as indicated in the OP video from LTT that OC for OC the R9 290x/non X and 970 are about even in performance.

There you go. All the reviews compiled in 1 post. http://www.overclock.net/t/1513723/various-nvidia-gtx-980-970-reviews

Base your decision however you see fit.

There you go. All the reviews compiled in 1 post. http://www.overclock.net/t/1513723/various-nvidia-gtx-980-970-reviews

Base your decision however you see fit.

Since I will always Opt to OC my GPUs to the max just before becoming unstable I am only considering OC to OC performance. I am glad I came across the LTT video in this thread as it indicates real world performance when OCing is added to the equation. OC for OC the 970 just does not impress as the old AMD cards are able to hold there own against it.

Since I will always Opt to OC my GPUs to the max just before becoming unstable I am only considering OC to OC performance. I am glad I came across the LTT video in this thread as it indicates real world performance when OCing is added to the equation. OC for OC the 970 just does not impress as the old AMD cards are able to hold there own against it.

It is really mind boggling that you think 1 example is wise to base a decision but hey its your money.

Yeah.... having a card that gives 0 cares about anything except performance and comparing it to a card that cares about everything except performance will do that...

Yeah.... having a card that gives 0 cares about anything except performance and comparing it to a card that cares about everything except performance will do that...

All the cards are fast. The Radeons have there up and downs and so does the 970. I like the 970 just saying that OC for OC they are not faster overall than the competions which pisses me off cause I was lead to belive the 970 was faster overall but it is only faster stock for stock ;-(