GTX 970 not as great as I thought :-(

I/O

Just going off of this LTT video it's looks like they got an ultra great silicon lottery winner of a GTX 780 and that the R9 290 is just as fast as the 970. I might have to cancle and go with an R9 290 because it performs as good as a 970 and come with 3 free games for the same price as 970 in Canadian pricing.

are you forgetting that nvidia cards especially the 900 series use way less power, make less noise, and output much less heat?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Are you seriously choosing free games over a better card?

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

But it overclock like a champ and beat stock 780 Ti/980. DSR, Physx, G-Sync, Shadowplay, MFAA, Gameworks, Ultra stable driver, Lower TDP, F@H like a champ.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

are you forgetting that nvidia cards especially the 900 series use way less power, make less noise, and output much less heat?

If you knew this guy, he only cares about fps, nothing else.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Finally saw the light huh

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I don't care about power consumption just performance for money. There are low noise R9 290 cards as well and I also could care less about heat I mean it's not like you have to hold the card in you lap while you play LOL.

Go with the 970. The R9 290 is going to run much hotter and consume much more power. But if you really want those free games, the choice is yours.

But it overclock like a champ and beat stock 780 Ti/980. DSR, Physx, G-Sync, Shadowplay, MFAA, Gameworks, Ultra stable driver, Lower TDP, F@H like a champ.

Did you even watch the video ? If you watched the video you will see that the 970 290 and 290x are all performance parity.

Get one of the binned Gigabyte G1 cards. Those will outperform any other 970.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Go with the 970. The R9 290 is going to run much hotter and consume much more power. But if you really want those free games, the choice is yours.

I don't see the point with power and heat LOL as long as the game runs good.

I'll just leave this here. This channel also has several more videos. Seems to me the GTX 970 is slapping the 290 around, not the other way.

Digital Foundry is awesome. I love their real-time comparisons ;)

Spoiler

Get one of the binned Gigabyte G1 cards. Those will outperform any other 970.

Ya by a miniscule 2 or 3fps LOL.

Look here. The 970 performs like a 780ti (same as a 290x)

And when you overclock it then its basically a GTX980

Spoiler

I don't see the point with power and heat LOL as long as the game runs good.

I personaly would pick 970 but if those games that go with 290 are games you wish to play then you are set. They are prety much the same performance altough I would say that 970 performs slightly better. Altough if you will OC you will get more performance out of it.

Ya by a miniscule 2 or 3fps LOL.

More like 10 fps.

Spoiler

Look here. The 970 performs like a 780ti (same as a 290x)

And when you overclock it then its basically a GTX980

Cooler running, GTX 980 perf with simple overclocking. If you're buying new right now, the GTX 970 is the solid choice. 3 free games be damned, I'd rather get a better card that doesn't waste as much power and generates less heat. :P

More like 10 fps.

They all get a 10fps avg boost when OCed the Gigabyte does not get an additional 10fps on top of that LOL.

They all get a 10fps avg boost when OCed the Gigabyte does not get an additional 10fps on top of that LOL.

Spoiler

Shouldn't put to much weight on LTT benchmarks... the overclocking makes them pretty much useless :/

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

My Gigabyte 970 absolutely destroys my 290 in everything. The only thing they come close in is Valley. All games i have played and other benchmarks it isnt even close.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Why are you linking to a 980 video we are discussing the 970 and 290 in this thread.

Shouldn't put to much weight on LTT benchmarks... the overclocking makes them pretty much useless :/

Um if you OC your cards then it would stand to reason to find out how well they OC. Hence why they OC the cards.

Plenty of info out there showing the 970 performs better.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?