Fps gradually decreases in games

KingDuder

Alright I'm somewhat of a newbie as this is my first week after building my computer so bear with me.  I have been playing Battlefield 3 for the past few days and I notice that I'm getting drops in my fps.  It is not an fps spike where my fps drops for just a second, it drops over time (15-20 minutes) to the point where the game is unplayable.  I start at a 80 fps average then down to 70, then 60, and so on.  I just checked it and there is no dust, and my GPU temp is in the 70s and my CPU temp is in the 60s.  I used MSI Afterburner and found out my GPU is using 99% and my CPU is using around 70%.  I don't know what to do.  I deleted then reinstalled my graphics drivers, ran virus scans, and I still dont know what else I could do.

My pc specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-4690

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 (3Gb)

MOBO: Msi z97m-g43

PSU: Corsair RM 650

RAM: G. Skill 8gb (2x4) @ 1600mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 Gb

Try to monitor GPU usage and heat if you can.

Edit: Sorry I was in a rush, I got an email that I had to reply to so I only read parts of your post... Didn't see that you already mentioned both of those. Sorry.

While playing a game, in MSI Afterburner, check the graph for "Core Clock" and see if it's dropping over time, but you say your temps are fine...Hmmm.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Sounds like throttling of some kind but I'm relatively new to the world of technology too.

My GPU usage stays between 97-99%.  My GPU heat is between 72-76 degrees and my clock speeds stay between 1100 mhz and 1200 mhz, usually staying at 1150 mhz.

Hmm, damn. This is tricky then, I'm stumped. Try doing a quick google.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

A few months ago I was having problems with Battlefield 4, my RAM wasn't being wiped correctly and ended up getting filled up over the course of about 15-30 minutes. My performance would gradually get worse until the game was basically unplayable.

Have you checked your RAM usage while playing Battlefield? I know its a slim chance that you have the same issue I did, but hey can't hurt (:!

As long as it stays somewhat consistant during your play, then it isn't the problem I was refering too.

Does your FPS drop like this on any other games? Or is it just battlefield?

I dont own many games.  The only games I own is Minecraft, Battlefield 3, Payday 2, and TF2.  Right now the fps drop is only really bad in battlefield,  on my other games I drop 5 fps in a couple hours but in battlefield, it is impossible to play more than 30 minutes.  Right now I'm thinking that battlefield is more intensive and may be stressing my components.

The Battlefield games are weird sometimes.  Have you tried reinstalling the game?  You could also try repairing the game.  Also your GPU usage should be at 99% when playing something like Battlefield because otherwise your just wasting computing power.

I'm gonna try reinstalling the game but before I do that, what do you mean by repairing the game?

First of all, if you want me to see your responses you need to click the quote button on my post when you respond.

In Origin, right click on Battlefield 3 and in the menu that appears select Repair game.  It might take a few minutes.

First of all, if you want me to see your responses you need to click the quote button on my post when you respond.

In Origin, right click on Battlefield 3 and in the menu that appears select Repair game.  It might take a few minutes.

sorry bout that its my first hour on the site i dont know much.  Repairing the game did not help, I'm gonna reinstall it, give my system some rest, then check back tomorrow

sorry bout that its my first hour on the site i dont know much.  Repairing the game did not help, I'm gonna reinstall it, give my system some rest, then check back tomorrow

No problem :)  welcome to the forum!

Ya I repaired the game, reinstalled it, and then there was no difference, I am still getting fps drops.  I still dont know what is the problem

what anti-virus do you use? if it happens to be Norton, that could be causing you issues as it likes to eat up system resources at inopportune times.

I dont have any viruses or anything like that but I do use Norton (cheapest) how the heck do i disable Norton being a resource hog?

Uninstall.

Then use a Free alternative AntiVirus, all of them are pretty much easier on resources.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My GPU usage stays between 97-99%.  My GPU heat is between 72-76 degrees and my clock speeds stay between 1100 mhz and 1200 mhz, usually staying at 1150 mhz.

70c is the throttling point for 600 series cards. Are you sure you aren't reading the max Core clock reached?

70c is the throttling point for 600 series cards. Are you sure you aren't reading the max Core clock reached?

is 70c really the throttling point?  Im certain that the degrees is always in the 70s when playing.

is 70c really the throttling point?  Im certain that the degrees is always in the 70s when playing.

I'm sure of it, when I used to oc the hell out of my 670's the temps would slowly rise to 70c ingame and I would see a major loss in performance.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

The first thermal throttle point is at 70C, then 80C, then 85C and lastly at 95C.

Try these steps:

1. If you have any other AAA game try to play it. See, if the temps still rising.

2. Set a custom fan curve in MSI afterburner to keep the temps down.
3. Send what happened after trying these