Am i the only one who isnt that into HL2?

XTankSlayerX

When I first downloaded TF2 last year, it was I believe 6GB or so (but I didn't play it). Now I go to download it on my new computer(s) and it's 16.7GB.

Ha, yea, it's wierd, but I think it downloads the majority of the Source Engine with it. I have 1,300 hours on it (Over 3 Years) and counting, I just love this game for some reason that I always go back to it.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

You should look into the mod Black Mesa - it's basically HL1 2.0.  Only downside, is when i last played it they had only just began working on the Xen part.

Haha, that video took me back.

I remember my friends dad was so into the game that he packed up his PC and brought it up to the cabin when we went that summer.

Good times!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm not into SP FPS games in general. So the sidegames for HL series are more interesting to me. Like TF2 and CS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's how you experience it. Everyone likes different games. I love half life 2 for the atmosphere, others don't.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Half Life 2 gets better as it goes along. The first couple of hours the pacing and tension isn't really there.

As far as technical innovation is concerned when it dropped ten years ago it was the first game with realistic physics modelling, and the first game with such good facial animation.

The gunplay itself is nowhere near as good as games like Battefield or Valve's own CS;GO. The guns don't recoil which kills the enjoyment a bit.

And no you are not the only one who doesn't like HL2, no game has universal popularity, like any artform tastes vary...

For me personally HL2 ep1 and HL2 ep2 are better games than HL2 itself, albeit shorter. And I think portal 2 is the best single-player game which Valve has done.

It's not a simple question to answer, there are quite a few factors in how the game is perceived now vs. when it first came out a decade ago.

Many of the people that criticize it now weren't old enough to read when it first came out, have never heard the sound of a 56k modem, let alone had an interest in PC gaming at the time.

HL2 was an excellent game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2/critic-reviews

However, since then, gaming has changed. Gaming has evolved, some will say. Others say that gaming has mutated.

It's wrong to flame people for not liking it as much as it was liked 10 years ago.

Some of us older guys romanticize it too much because we associate HL2 with a time when "bad PC port" was a combination of words no one was using, when expansion packs with actual value existed instead of premeditated content slicing into 5 diffierent DLC's for different collector editions.

Back then, PC versions were far from an afterthought, dedicated servers were as constant as gravity, in game purchases were just in the drawing board stage, DRM was focuses on CD/DVD and not your internet connection, etc etc, you get the idea.

It seems back then people were more tolerant of things that weren't exactly the way they wanted them. I have two friends that didn't like HL2 but they still appreciated the game. Everyone else loved it of course.

I am not saying that everyone is mandated to love HL2, I just hope the dislike stems from genuine lack of enjoyment in HL2 rather than being conditioned by today's AAA game standards.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

It's not a simple question to answer, there are quite a few factors in how the game is perceived now vs. when it first came out a decade ago.

Many of the people that criticize it now weren't old enough to read when it first came out, have never heard the sound of a 56k modem, let alone had an interest in PC gaming at the time.

HL2 was an excellent game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2/critic-reviews

However, since then, gaming has changed. Gaming has evolved, some will say. Others say that gaming has mutated.

It's wrong to flame people for not liking it as much as it was liked 10 years ago.

Some of us older guys romanticize it too much because we associate HL2 with a time when "bad PC port" was a combination of words no one was using, when expansion packs with actual value existed instead of premeditated content slicing into 5 diffierent DLC's for different collector editions.

Back then, PC versions were far from an afterthought, dedicated servers were as constant as gravity, in game purchases were just in the drawing board stage, DRM was focuses on CD/DVD and not your internet connection, etc etc, you get the idea.

It seems back then people were more tolerant of things that weren't exactly the way they wanted them. I have two friends that didn't like HL2 but they still appreciated the game. Everyone else loved it of course.

I am not saying that everyone is mandated to love HL2, I just hope the dislike stems from genuine lack of enjoyment in HL2 rather than being conditioned by today's AAA game standards.

This :) It was a great game. Every section would have something that would blow me away, something that hasn't been done before or something that hasn't been done as well before. Nowadays, you could say we've seen everything the developers can do that the publisher would allow them to implement. I even played HL2 Deathmatch competitively for a while.

I think I'm going to install it when I get home... 

You can't compare Battlefield and Half-Life 2...They're both FPS, but that's about where the similarities stop.

It's the story, the mysterious nature of Valve's storyline, did you ever play the first one?

i never played a hl game 8(

Honestly, I'm more of a Infestation: Survivor Story fan myself.

But HL-2 has good physics puzzles and a balance of smooth shooting experience plus different mechanics in defeating enemies(headshot zombies to also kill headcrab, covering antlion hole with a car...etc.).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

My friend didn't like HL2...well ex-friend now.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

shit i still gotta play that

i hope they didn't remove the Gaben room

Best Half Life 2 mod so far. Next best mod is Underhell. Only the first chapter is out for now, but it'll take you a good 10 hours or more to complete, depending upon difficulty. Highly recommend you try that too.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Best Half Life 2 mod so far. Next best mod is Underhell. Only the first chapter is out for now, but it'll take you a good 10 hours or more to complete, depending upon difficulty. Highly recommend you try that too.

double action is better, it's about as intense and fun as super smash

I haven't even played any HL, fixing that soon, just bought orange box.

for pc?

Yeah just played portal not all the way but it was pretty fun. I'll try to play hl 2 tommorow. It was on steam for $5 until tommorow

I didn't like Half-Life nor Half-Life 2. Though the CS mod and Sven Co-op made me feel like I got my money's worth out of HL.

Haven't ever really been able to enjoy linear corridor games, with a few exceptions like Marathon, Deus Ex series, the first Red Faction and Dishonored.

Don't like BioShock either for that matter.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Haven't ever really been able to enjoy linear corridor games, with a few exceptions like Marathon, Deus Ex series, the first Red Faction and Dishonored.

If you want non linear, wide & open, 404 of Ethan Carter will knock your socks off.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

HL2 was an excellent game and don't let anyone tell you otherwise: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-2/critic-reviews

I miss those days of old :-(

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I like like HL2 but I wouldn't say it's one of my favourites, maybe because I only played it recently and not back in the day. 

If you want non linear, wide & open, 404 of Ethan Carter will knock your socks off.

Already have that on my wishlist, but I'm not putting €20 towards a 2-3 hour story. My rule is a dollar per hour or better. (Of actual content, not emerging/ fooling around content)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.