Video game freezing and crash

Hi,

The short answer-my computer has been freezing on video games and after crashing the process cannot be closed even in task manager.

Recently (in the last month) my computer has been stuttering and leading to an eventual freeze on all computer gamesicon1.png. The stuttering can begin instantly or take several hours of solid gaming, they start as small stutters and sound loops but eventually the whole game crashes.
The second problem is once the games have crashed the application exits but in task manager the process is apparently still going on, even when you try to end it or the process tree. This then causes my computer to freeze every minute or so for 10-30 seconds and the only way to stop this is with a hard shut down. I have also done stress tests on GPU and PSU which have both caused my computer to suddenly turn off. Could it be a power issue?

My specs-
CPU-AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20GHz
RAM-2x2GB DDR3 and 2x4GB DDR3 (i tried both as i enitially thought this was a problem)
Hard Drives-Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (used for Applications and OS)
                   -Western Digital Blue 1TB (used for gameicon1.png and file storage)
GPU-Sapphire HD 7850 2048MB GDDR5
PSU-Winpower plus 650w
Motherboard-ASUS M4N68T-M V2
OS-Windows Homeicon1.png Premium 64-bit

Did you try a RAM test? Memtest86 or something like that? It could be the power I guess....

The cannot be closed in Task manager things leads me to believe that it's not power supply issue...

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

What games are they? It's probably the CPU.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I have done the ram tests (and have changed the ram while the problem was going on). I'm also cleaning out my CPU today and redoing the thermal paste and stuff. In terms of games I have being trying loads to find out the problem, The Walking Dead Game Series 2, Tomb Raider, Fifa 15, Fifa 14, Half Life 2 and even Democracy 3!

I have also done a cmos reset to see if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Hi there,

Have you been using your PC for gaming before or this is a new configuration? In other words, have you ever played these games without these issues? Do you experience any issues while just browsing or using some software?

Can you confirm that you do not have any temperature issues? I would try OS reinstall.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Thanks, the only recent change that has been made to my PC was the RAM and a new Hard Drive (this is because I assumed these were the culprits) but the problem was happening even before they were installed. This problem started randomly doing this a couple of months ago and there had been no hardware changes or significant software changes that i can remember.

I only experience this issue when playing 3D Video Games or whilst running a GPU stress test. When I run a PSU stress test the pc turns off.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a power problem as the highest i've ever seen my GPU or CPU go is mid 60s celsius.

Thanks for the help!