Cherry MX reds or blues?

yourdad165

Reds feel nothing like membrane...

out of all mechanical switches, they feel the closest to membrane, to me at least 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

out of all mechanical switches, they feel the closest to membrane, to me at least 

They may be the "closest" but they're still far off from membrane. I cringe when I use the terrible Dell membrane keyboards in my Computer Science class, there's some days where I consider hauling my K70 w/ red switches with me to school.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

reds are linear like membrane keyboards, thus they feel the closest to membrane, i have tried reds and was appalled by how close they felt to membrane compared to cherry mx brows 

Well you didn't feel right. Membrane have rubber domes, when you press it down the rubber dome resists first, then it just instantly bottoms out.

Reds are super smooth and light to press, they feel the same during the whole way down. 

Not even close to membrane, I can't even type properly on membranes because they're too heavy and inaccurate to press and i never bottom them out.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Once again, you didn't feel right. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

They may be the "closest" but they're still far off from membrane. I cringe when I use the terrible Dell membrane keyboards in my Computer Science class, there's some days where I consider hauling my K70 w/ red switches with me to school.

oh yes i feel the same way, i cant stand them i would rather use chicklet keyboard

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Okay, but like just typing normally I will screw up a lot?

If you do alot of typing its pretty much a consensus that blues are the way to go. However its ALL preference. I personally hate reds but other love them so you really have to try them out for yourself.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have a K70 with Cherry MX reds, and I do more typing than gaming and I love typing on it.

Okay, cool. I'm not really sure if I'd like it though, do you type perfectly on it?

i have used Reds for a couple years now they have quickly become my favourite they are smooth and activate with no force at all. they do take a good 1-4 weeks to learn how much force you need once you get that they are quite quiet

I like blues because I have a pretty heavy finger press and I enjoy the audible click.

I type almost as well with the browns but reds are just too light of an actuation for me.

System

Peripherals

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Isaac Newton

blue/brown, I don't like reds.

Reds are not for gamers IMO, blacks are better for that; I feel like they are too easy to press and don't bring anything to the table .

Not true, personal preference.

I don't like Black's, to heavy, I love reds.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

IMO, the browns are a great hybrid of the light sound of the reds, and some of the feel of the blues. They are a great starting switch, again IMO.

I use a QPAD MK-85 at home (MX red) and a QPAD MK-50 (MX blue) at work, exactly the same keyboard apart from the switch type, and I think they're both in the right place, when I'm typing, I prefer the MX blues by a long shot, but the reds are slightly nicer for gaming.

So I'd say it depends on what you're using it for:

If you're mostly typing: Blues

If you're mostly gaming: Reds

50/50: Blues, they're just that much nicer typing on that I'd put up with their slightly... (and this is subjective) sub par gaming performance

Some manufacturers will send out switch samples for a fairly low price if you want to try before you buy.

I have been using blues for a while now and I'm never going back. I love them so much. I find the reds are hard to type on when typing fast and I think the browns don't provide enough feedback. They almost feel like a dirty red for lack of a better way to put it. The blues are loud but I got used to it really quickly. Like any other form of background noise you start to tune them out after a while. If you are going to be typing a lot, I would personally try to avoid reds. If you will be typing some and gaming some, the browns are a nice in between, but if you will be typing more than you game, go blue all the way.

If you can wait longer this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E71W4O8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will let you try them out.
From personal experience, I am using reds and have had more typing errors than on membranes.  I don't accidentally press keys when gaming, but I sort of regret not taking blues because I just personally like their clicky feel and I think they would help prevent errors a little bit.

Neither are better, its all preferences. The reds don't have any feedback, they feel super smooth and are quite pleasant to type on. You only buy blues for the clicky feel and sound, else go for a red.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  •