AOC U3477PQU Review [Big pictures]

Volbet

I checked to see if this is out yet and eta has been pushed to 17/12/14

also the price has gone up 50 bucks

Its all about those volumetric clouds

For those of you from North America who want this monitor, it will be available from Amazon and Best Buy for $899.

Source: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/aoc_u3477pqu_launches_in_the_us/

Was expecting a better price... Disappointed. Great monitor nonetheless.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Was expecting a better price... Disappointed. Great monitor nonetheless.

I completely agree. The LG 34UM95-P will be on sale this week from Newegg for $880 (Black Friday sale) so you could also go with that. Personally I'm going to wait until there's a further price drop on either.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

Thx very much for excellent review.

I was impressed by LG um34 and wanted to buy it, but was concerned by the 21:9 and that I will miss additional high that 16:9 offers. Also I heard bad stories about back-light leakage and other screen problems. I hope AOC will be better. 

So I decided to buy BenQ bl3200pt with 2560x1440 resolution. It is great, size is good and looks natural. But I got into the problems with picture flickering in certain games... So I returned it.

I am now again thinking on buying 34", but I am still concerned how height will affect me. If you have some screenshot comparing 32" 16:9 and 34" 21:9 I would be grateful. Still AOC 34 is not available in Germany though.

Best,

K

Thx very much for excellent review.

I was impressed by LG um34 and wanted to buy it, but was concerned by the 21:9 and that I will miss additional high that 16:9 offers. Also I heard bad stories about back-light leakage and other screen problems. I hope AOC will be better. 

So I decided to buy BenQ bl3200pt with 2560x1440 resolution. It is great, size is good and looks natural. But I got into the problems with picture flickering in certain games... So I returned it.

I am now again thinking on buying 34", but I am still concerned how height will affect me. If you have some screenshot comparing 32" 16:9 and 34" 21:9 I would be grateful. Still AOC 34 is not available in Germany though.

Best,

K

The pixel height of the two monitors will be the same (1440 pixels), but of course the physical height will be different.

This is how the difference will look.

34-inch-21x9-vs-32-inch-16x9.png

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-32-inch-16x9

The green square is the 32" 16:9 monitor and the blue square is the 34" 21:9 monitor. 

I haven't had a problem with the backlight bleeding.

And welcome to the forum.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Still waiting on mine here in Sweden, should be here mid dec hopefully.

Was thinking a bit. If you for performance reasons wanna do less resolution, I guess the next step down(21:9) is 2560x1080 right? Does it work nicely just to downscale it to that resolution, any major differences? 

Still waiting on mine here in Sweden, should be here mid dec hopefully.

Was thinking a bit. If you for performance reasons wanna do less resolution, I guess the next step down(21:9) is 2560x1080 right? Does it work nicely just to downscale it to that resolution, any major differences? 

You can downscale the resolution with very few problems. Most games do suppot the 2560 x 1080 resolution nativly, but for some, you need to create a custome resolution in your graphics card driver.

You could also do 2560 x 1440, and have it strech the image. Of course you won't be playing in 21:9, but 2560 x 1440 is more widely supported.

I checked to see if this is out yet and eta has been pushed to 17/12/14

also the price has gone up 50 bucks

The price has been slowly creeping up for months and months now. Initially it was going to be £450, but now it looks set to launch at more likely £650+

For everyone that are looking for an alternative to the LG 34UM95 and the AOC U3477PQU, Philips is doing a 3440 x 1440 monitor aswell, the BDM3470UP.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=au&ctn=BDM3470UP/75

According to the place I bought my AOC monitor, it will be released during December.

Currently the listed price of the Philips BDM3470UP is about 17% higher than the price of the AOC U3477PQU.

The price has been slowly creeping up for months and months now. Initially it was going to be £450, but now it looks set to launch at more likely £650+

That sucks. Luckily the price haven't gone up here in Denmark. 

That sucks. Luckily the price haven't gone up here in Denmark. 

Which site did you get yours from and how much did you pay in Krone (presumably bought yours from a Danish retailer?)?

Sorry if you've already been asked this :S

Which site did you get yours from and how much did you pay in Krone (presumably bought yours from a Danish retailer?)?

Sorry if you've already been asked this :S

No problem at all.

I payed 5990 kr. and I got it from the retailer Komplett: https://www.komplett.dk/aoc-34-led-u3477pqu/821806 

No problem at all.

I payed 5990 kr. and I got it from the retailer Komplett: https://www.komplett.dk/aoc-34-led-u3477pqu/821806 

Damn, that's still pretty pricey.

It's amazing though that you've had this monitor a good while now and it isn't even really available yet... Must wonder what is going on production wise or why this is being held back so long. Lots of people waiting for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright got mine today. Oboy what a screen!! This is the perfect aspect/size, love it.

Though mine has some really bad bleeding :/ It's really easy to see when black but hard to see when there's something going on, so not sure how much it bothers me yet..

One thing though that maybe you have figured out, but is there a way to save the "Image Ratio" setting per input?

Now if I swap from DP to HDMI(PS4) it resets the image ratio for the HDMI input which I need to have at "Wide" and not "Full" since I want the black bars.

Might be a dealbreaker if I have to go in to the OSD everytime :/

Alright got mine today. Oboy what a screen!! This is the perfect aspect/size, love it.

Though mine has some really bad bleeding :/ It's really easy to see when black but hard to see when there's something going on, so not sure how much it bothers me yet..

One thing though that maybe you have figured out, but is there a way to save the "Image Ratio" setting per input?

Now if I swap from DP to HDMI(PS4) it resets the image ratio for the HDMI input which I need to have at "Wide" and not "Full" since I want the black bars.

Might be a dealbreaker if I have to go in to the OSD everytime :/

I'm sorry to hear that you have bleeding issues. I don't have any of those.

I don't know about the OSD settings. When I use my PS3, I just use the streched image. 

I don't have the time today, but I can look into it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Edit: @Selo. I have tried checking the OSD problem, and I have the same experience. I can't seem to find a solution at this moment, but I'll keep trying. if everything else fails, I'll send AOC an e-mail so they can answer it.

I'm sorry about the time it took me to write this, but life can be unpredictable.

I'm sorry to hear that you have bleeding issues. I don't have any of those.

I don't know about the OSD settings. When I use my PS3, I just use the streched image. 

I don't have the time today, but I can look into it tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Edit: @Selo. I have tried checking the OSD problem, and I have the same experience. I can't seem to find a solution at this moment, but I'll keep trying. if everything else fails, I'll send AOC an e-mail so they can answer it.

I'm sorry about the time it took me to write this, but life can be unpredictable.

No prob, I got one so you shouldnt need to do any testing regarding this for me :)

Sent AOC and email 2 days ago but havnt had a reply since.

Decided that the backlight bleed doesnt bother me that much. Overall really really happy with it, did a full day of video editing and programming, what a bliss! And gaming is awesome as hell!

Who would dare to buy one of these 34" displays now, when Freesync is just a month or two away with either new models or firmware upgrades?

Who would dare to buy one of these 34" displays now, when Freesync is just a month or two away with either new models or firmware upgrades?

*Slowly raises hand*

To be honest, I don't really care about Freesync. While I do play games on my PC, it's not my main usage. I mostly do programming and other work.

And the games I play are usually indie games, that probably won't benefit from Freesync.

I have also never played the waiting game. The next best thing is always around the corner.

Your point still stands of course. If Freesync is something you care abnout, then you might be better off waiting.

I do agree but free sync has no release dat atm. (I hope I'm wrong)

And the 390 AMD card is apparently going to be released in the summer of 2015.

And I need a new card to power this screen.

Someone with an nvidia card perhaps? It's really worth it at the current price point. Same panel as LG and better mounting options/stand. What more can you ask for?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I do agree but free sync has no release dat atm. (I hope I'm wrong) And the 390 AMD card is apparently going to be released in the summer of 2015. And I need a new card to power this screen.

Couldn't you afford the "e"? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Guys, I'll post this to other LG 34UM95 / 34UC97 posts, but here's the updated price chart in Korea. Slowly but surely the $$ are coming down. Remember that Korean Won has weakened by quite a bit vs. US $, so the value is better than ever.

As of today, you can grab the following in Korea for (not including 10% VAT):

• 34UM95: 890,000 won or $850 or so
  • 34UC97: 1,295,670 won or $1173 or so
  • AOC3477: 890,000 won or $850 or so

So compare this to your own "bargain" when buying from a US or an overseas seller. 

Guys, I'll post this to other LG 34UM95 / 34UC97 posts, but here's the updated price chart in Korea. Slowly but surely the $$ are coming down. Remember that Korean Won has weakened by quite a bit vs. US $, so the value is better than ever.

As of today, you can grab the following in Korea for (not including 10% VAT):

• 34UM95: 890,000 won or $850 or so
  • 34UC97: 1,295,670 won or $1173 or so
  • AOC3477: 890,000 won or $850 or so

So compare this to your own "bargain" when buying from a US or an overseas seller. 

While this might be cheaper for the US, there isn't much to save for countries which use the Euro or has a currency tied to the Euro.

The AOC U3477PQU would be 36$ more if imported from South Korea (payed for in Dollars), and the price would be about the same if payed for in Won. This is not accounting for shipping and duties.

This is of course caluculated as if I were to import it to Denmark, with a 25% VAT added. 

As you youself said, this is a better tip for the americans out there.

But thank you for the information.