AOC U3477PQU Review [Big pictures]

Volbet

Is this monitor only going to be released in the EU? If not, I think I've found my next monitor!

I simply don't know. I have looked at every store I can think of, both inside and out side the EU, and no one has the monitor for sale.

The only place I have seen it, is in stores in Scandinavia. My best guess it that it will be released elsewhere, since Scandinavia is a very small market.

I do not know if it will be released in North America. The monitor isn't listed on AOC's North American website: http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/519sw

But that might just be because the monitor isn't released yet. According to AOC it will be released in October.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I simply don't know. I have looked at every store I can think of, both inside and out side the EU, and no one has the monitor for sale.

The only place I have seen it, is in stores in Scandinavia. My best guess it that it will be released elsewhere, since Scandinavia is a very small market.

I do not knwo if it will be released in North America. The monitor isn't listed on AOC's North American website: http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/519sw

But that might just be becuas the monitor isn't released yet. According to AOC it will be released in October.

I see. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Cheers!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Great review, really beautiful screen. I really want this or the LG screen, just love the form factor; but its really too expensive for me right now. Btw, was wondering if there's any backlight bleed?

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

Great review, really beautiful screen. I really want this or the LG screen, just love the form factor; but its really too expensive for me right now. Btw, was wondering if there's any backlight bleed?

There is a little bit of backlight bleeding in the corners, but unless you looking for it, you won't see it.

Coming from a TN Samsung monitor, I can say that background bleed is much less of an issue on this monitor.

Wanted to say thanks for the review with tons of images. It seems the screen is slowly shipping to retailers now.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Looks pretty nice, review was well made... I like.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I am really thinking about getting one of these but I've heard AOC monitors have poor quality issues?, also since your using it for work how do you find it when using word doc's and excel?

one more thing

do you find the height lacks since its 21:9? I'm coming from 2 x 16:10 monitors

I'm looking at this or a u3011/u3014

I can pre order it in Australia but I am abit worried about getting on the band wagon for 21:9

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I am really thinking about getting one of these but I've heard AOC monitors have poor quality issues?, also since your using it for work how do you find it when using word doc's and excel?

one more thing

do you find the height lacks since its 21:9? I'm coming from 2 x 16:10 monitors

I'm looking at this or a u3011/u3014

I have never had a problem with any AOC monitor, but I have heard that they had quality problems in the past. 

The stand might a bit plasticy (except for the metal foot), but that doesn't really bother me 

I don't really work a lot with Word or Excel, since most of my work consists of programming and networking stuff.

That said, I have used both Word and Excel, just not extensively.

It is nice to be able to fit 4 A4 pages side to side on a single monitor, or 3 pages side to side, and 1 page for notes in a different Window (Though I use a second monitor for that).

KMR9hTu.jpg

In Excel it's just nice to be able to make the window smaller and still have the same room as I had on a 1080P monitor.

Of course in full screen you have so many cells to work with.

I'm not really missing anything in height. The hight of the monitor is the same as my a 27" 16:9 monitor, so it's the same as before. 

Edit:

I can pre order it in Australia but I am abit worried about getting on the band wagon for 21:9

That is of course something to think about. I mostly see 21:9 monitors as usefull for people that have a lot of windows open at the same time, and maybe for video/photo editiors.

While playing games on a 21:9 monitor is better, in my opninion, I still don't think it justifies the upgrade from a good 16:9 or 16:10 monitor.

Can I get a link to where you can preorder it? I'm trying to get some examples of prices to put into the OP.

Thanks for the great review! I like how you split he content into boxes to keep it from being a massively long post right away. 

A quick question, had you have the chance to test for any backlight bleed? Thanks!

Can this monitor be set to run as 16:9 1440p with black bars on the sides, similarly to how the LG monitor can be set to run in 1440p mode? My 34UM95 had bleeding issues so I returned it and was given my money back. Now I'm considering between buying another or picking this one up.

Thanks for the great review! I like how you split he content into boxes to keep it from being a massively long post right away. 

A quick question, had you have the chance to test for any backlight bleed? Thanks!

There is a tiny amount of backlight bleeding in the coners, but unless you are looking for it, you won't notice it.

I'm glad you liked the review. I know nothing worse than being met with a wall of text, so I formatted it I would like it.

Can this monitor be set to run as 16:9 1440p with black bars on the sides, similarly to how the LG monitor can be set to run in 1440p mode? My 34UM95 had bleeding issues so I returned it and was given my money back. Now I'm considering between buying another or picking this one up.

1080P and 1440P content usually run with balck bars on the side. Be it TV shows, Youtube videos and the like. Some games however, seem to strech across the monitor no matter what.

As said above, I haven't had an issue with backlight bleeding

Thanks a lot.

Wanted to say thanks for the review with tons of images. It seems the screen is slowly shipping to retailers now.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thank you for reading it. It really means a lot.

1080P and 1440P content usually run with balck bars on the side. Be it TV shows, Youtube videos and the like. Some games however, seem to strech across the monitor no matter what.

Thanks for the reply. I'm somewhat cautios because of the last part. I noticed this on my 34UM95 as well. However, when this happened there was a setting that made the monitor function as a (think 27 inch or so) 16:9 1440p monitor by forcing the black bars and having the monitor be recognized as 1440p by the PC. There was no stretching with this. Is this possible on the AOC monitor?

Thanks for the reply. I'm somewhat cautios because of the last part. I noticed this on my 34UM95 as well. However, when this happened there was a setting that made the monitor function as a (think 27 inch or so) 16:9 1440p monitor by forcing the black bars and having the monitor be recognized as 1440p by the PC. There was no stretching with this. Is this possible on the AOC monitor?

Ahh, like that. Yes, there is an option to force a resolution and aspect ration in the OSD. I just haven't played around with it yet.

Ahh, like that. Yes, there is an option to force a resolution and aspect ration in the OSD. I just haven't played around with it yet.

Do you mean the option found here? Does the 'wide' make it centralized 16:9 1440p monitor with black bars?

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2114246/flags/LL

Source:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1504668/various-aoc-u3477pqu-21-9-3440x1440-with-a-budget

Thanks in advance. This is really hepful. If it supports the option then I'll probably go with this over LG's model.

Do you mean the option found here? Does the 'wide' make it centralized 16:9 1440p monitor with black bars?

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2114246/flags/LL

Source:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1504668/various-aoc-u3477pqu-21-9-3440x1440-with-a-budget

Thanks in advance. This is really hepful. If it supports the option then I'll probably go with this over LG's model.

Yes, exactly that. You just set it to either 16:9, 16:10, 4;3, 5;4. You then just have to set the resolution in Windows (or your OS of choice)

That Overclockers article really show that I need to step up my game. That's a damn good article.

Edit: Hmm, for some reason I can't get this to work with Displayport. It works perfectly wit HDMI and DVI.

I'll look into it.

Edit 2: Apperantly it should work, if you set the Displayport mode to 1.1 support.

My computer just won't cooperate with that.

It might just be because Displayport offers automatic scaling. If you set Windows' resolution to 2560x1440 it will only show a 16:9 image, no stretching.

Can you test with a PS4/console does it center(1080) with black bars on the side?

Nice review! Have ordered the display but not expecting it until late oct..

Can you test with a PS4/console does it center(1080) with black bars on the side?

Nice review! Have ordered the display but not expecting it until late oct..

The display from my PS3 doesn't center. It stretches the image to fit the screen.

But as previously discussed, you can chose to have the monitor show black bars on the side, via the on-screen menu.

My PS4 in currently hocked up in my living room, so I haven't tested that. My speculation is that it will be the same.

When I get home, I'll post some pictures.

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: I'm again sorry for the horrible lighting in my office.

Full mode

I3paltC.jpg

16:9 mode

jU5zzyM.jpg

The display from my PS3 doesn't center. It stretches the image to fit the screen.

But as previously discussed, you can chose to have the monitor show black bars on the side, via the on-screen menu.

My PS4 in currently hocked up in my living room, so I haven't tested that. My speculation is that it will be the same.

When I get home, I'll post some pictures.

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: I'm again sorry for the horrible lighting in my office.

Full mode

I3paltC.jpg

16:9 mode

jU5zzyM.jpg

Ah great, those bars I'm absolutley fine with! Thanks for the pics!

And thanks :)

This monitor seems like a good buy: saving costs if you dont need multiple HDMI/Thunderbolt ports, which the LG has. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

This monitor seems like a good buy: saving costs if you dont need multiple HDMI/Thunderbolt ports, which the LG has. 

That is actually a really good point. It might have been worth mentioning what this monitor lacks, when compared to the LG  34UM95, since they are easy to compare.

Edit: Wrote it into the OP.

I've been waiting 4 months for this monitor to come out, can't wait for it to come to the US.

Thanks for the review!

Thank you for reading it.

I wish this was available when I got my AOC 27" 1440p monitor, which Is a great monitor too

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

@Volbet

this is out now in australia - pc case gear has it also

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29273

Thanks for the heads up. I'll edit it into the OP.

For some reason I still can't find it in Europe or North America. But I'll keep looking.