Xbox 360 still worth it?

askmax

Im thinking of buying an xbox 360 with a 15$ voucher GTA 5 Gears of war vengence and halo 4 for about 260 euro, I think its a pretty good deal. No console peasant shit please.

I probably wouldn't, either wait a year or not at all. It doesn't have any must-play games in my opinion, although Halo 3 was good.

Just so you know, you basically just walked into a Ford dealership and asked them if they think a Chevy is a good buy. (Not that there's anything wrong with Chevy...but there will be bias). 

With that being said...if you want to play games that are exclusive to the 360, then maybe...but 260 Euros seems like a high price to me ($330...when you can get an Xbox One for $399). You can find secondhand 360s for less than half the price. Ask around to see if your friends might be selling one if they wanted to upgrade.

You can get it cheap and there are plenty of games for it... Why not.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I wouldn't do it, knowing how microsoft just dropped the original xbox after releasing the xbox360 I wouldn't expect many more games to get release on it. But I guess if you're happy with the deal you're getting and don't plan on buying other games for it you should go for it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I wouldn't do it, knowing how microsoft just dropped the original xbox after releasing the xbox360 I wouldn't expect many more games to get release on it. But I guess if you're happy with the deal you're getting and don't plan on buying other games for it you should go for it.

Microsoft dropped support for the original Xbox so fast owing to the massive

costs it was incurring to produce and sell. Each console sold lost them a

sizable amount of money, and as a result the Xbox division was actually losing

a lot of money until several years into the Xbox 360's lifespan. Support for the

original Xbox Live service was also cut off as there were not enough active

players to warrant the cost it required to maintain.

Given the success of the Xbox 360 and the large number of active players

who utilise its online functionality, it is highly improbable that they will drop

support for it for a while yet. Whilst the next gen consoles have sold in high

numbers the older generation still dwarf them in size - they have a superior

library of games and are much cheaper to buy. 

As for OP's question - yes. The Xbox 360 still has a great library of games

to choose from, and is available for a very low price nowadays. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I purchased a broken xbox from ebay last week for £22 ($35) it has the 'Red ring of death'. Really easy fix, just bought the xbox 360 RROD repair kit from amazon and boom! It works, most of the RROD errors occur because of heat issues, which isn't surprising as console owners tend not to clean their dusty machines, like we do with computers. 

Being a "PC gamer" I was actually quite surprised at how well the 360 works taking into account its specs, I still can't over how GTA 5 even starts xD. However, is it worth buying a new one at the price they are currently... Not at all, if you're comfortable working on computers or/and electronics, I highly suggest buying a second hand console (working or broken) and then doing some general maintenance on it...

-Dust out the insides.

-Clean up the chips and heat-sinks

-Re-apply thermal paste

-Replace the 'x-clamp' with screws and washers (Included in the RROD repair kit) This will tighten down the processors better than the 'x-clamp' did. I found it quite funny that Microsoft kinda knew that they weren't secure enough as they were held in with spots of glue :L.

*Please note this is only my opinion and experience*

I purchased a broken xbox from ebay last week for £22 ($35) it has the 'Red ring of death'. Really easy fix, just bought the xbox 360 RROD repair kit from amazon and boom! It works, most of the RROD errors occur because of heat issues, which isn't surprising as console owners tend not to clean their dusty machines, like we do with computers. 

This RROD fix will not work for a long time, do not be surprised if it will die on you

anyway, I got mine for £45 and works great since then. I am planning to WC it, as I want to get some experience before a PC, and a waterblock cost £22, and it is extremely noisy so why not!

For £45 totally worth it, Forza 4 and horizon still fun games, and there are sme games for buttons for it

This RROD fix will not work for a long time, do not be surprised if it will die on you

I have good faith, again it's just my personal experience. The way I see it, it's already 7 years old so if it dies then it's probably because it's old... not because the fix didn't work. It runs perfectly fine. Again we could go over our personal experiences all day, but I believe that the amount of money saved is worth the 2 hours it took to fix it even if it is 'temporary' as you say.

I have good faith, again it's just my personal experience. The way I see it, it's already 7 years old so if it dies then it's probably because it's old... not because the fix didn't work. It runs perfectly fine. Again we could go over our personal experiences all day, but I believe that the amount of money saved is worth the 2 hours it took to fix it even if it is 'temporary' as you say.

the problem with the RROD is that the reason why it happens (3 ring version or 1 ring) is that the solder under the CPU/GPU melts.

At the creation of PS3 and Xbox 360 first gen, there was a big change in industry, from the good quality leaded solder to the lead free solder. Lead is an important part of the solder, it makes the connection good and long lasting. Companies did not had large experience n lead free solder, so the problem came, that the connection broke, both at PS3 (YLOD) and xbox (RROD)

The solution you use (= use screws, tighten the screws hard, overheat the system once) is basically pushes down the chips and melt the solder little bit. As it is the same solder, it will brake, and the chip can get damaged of the high pressure too. The only proper solution is to take off the chips and apply new solder balls for the socket, although it needs specialized tools and socket and knowledge, that are rather expensive.

Have fun, use it as long as it last, as for that amount of money you can get a good experience, but it is worth to get Falcon motherboard or later as this issue was fixed at them

I still have one to play Ninja Gaiden 2.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I mean if you really want to? i bought a Xbox 3 years ago WASTE OF MONEY!

I feel like there should be a coma right   ^ Here.

Because he had a hard drive.

nah, save some more $$$ and then just make a new pc if you dont already have one. i know that its the same thing youve heard a hundred times by now but consoles are just dumb for any price.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Im thinking of buying an xbox 360 with a 15$ voucher GTA 5 Gears of war vengence and halo 4 for about 260 euro, I think its a pretty good deal. No console peasant shit please.

Got it as a gift,finished Gta 5 and i haven't touched it till now.So yeah,it's not worth the money for that money you can buy a budget gaming pc with amd processor

Im not sure where you live that you can build a computer for less than 200$, but please enlighten us.

Im not sure where you live that you can build a computer for less than 200$, but please enlighten us.

Please do that right now!

Because he had a hard drive.