Random thought for the day 2 - Let's create a game!

xBlizzDevious

Good evening/morning/afternoon/whatever...

I've not had much work these last couple of weeks, and I've caught up on the 300 videos I was behind in my Youtube watch later list, and I've started to get bored of the games I have (so much so that I bought Titanfall the other day - it's OK so far...).

I finished a degree course a few months ago which involved programming and the team project that we did, involved programming in C# which I found to be great fun. I haven't done anything with programming since finishing that but I kinda got re-inspired to do some programming when Barnacules started his Codegasm series - especially since he chose to use the language that I already know a fair bit about. Unfortunately, I actually failed my degree because of those damned pesky databases and that stupid normalisation and relational algebra.

ANYWAYS... I love Minecraft, and Microsoft just bought Mojang (haven't though much about this yet, but I am kinda worried about what will happen) which could lead to disaster for Minecraft. So, I just had the sudden thought: "Why don't I try and re-create Minecraft in a different language and see if I could make it 'better'".

Well, I'm nowhere near a good enough programmer to just set aside a few weeks and re-create even an early version of Minecraft, so I'd start out very, very basic. But, I've got a problem. I don't really know where to start at all. In our team project, we created a game, but it was a very simple game that merely involved the moving of an image on a WinForms application with a few counters and ifs, whiles and switches (basically).

1. What would be the best way of producing an interactive scene? For example, if I go with DirectX, how would I integrate that into my program (using Visual Studio 2013 (free because I'm a student - or was... still works))?

2. How would I go about creating a 3D (or even just 2D to start with) world that I can move around and manipulate?

3. Any other tips for programming that I should take into account whilst creating something like a 3D game that I wouldn't have encountered with a simple database access/manipulation program or an extremely simple image-falling-down-a-screen game?

Sorry for the wall of text, and thank you in advance for any help. I hope that this may inspire me to go out and get a job in programming and learning enough stuff so that I can. Oh, and not necessarily in gaming, but just so that I can keep interested - because I struggle to focus on things that don't intrigue me.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I have done more programming that just the team project in the last year. I learned Java too in the previous year and have worked with web languages too: HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript.

EDIT 2: I will also add that I have NO ability to make textures, so I will be making things extremely basic and/or ripping them from other things. Mostly due to the complete lack of creativity that I have.

Oh and... @Pugs501

Is this a shower thought?

deep-shower-thought-more-at-www.piddle.m

This thought was while I was actually in the shower though! Haha!

Answer for 1 and 2. Use Unity 3D.

Unity3D is an environment for building games more easily. I was kinda hoping to start with the true bare bones and code what I can myself.

That's not to say that I won't play around with Unity3D, just that it's not all I would like to do.

Unity3D is an environment for building games more easily. I was kinda hoping to start with the true bare bones and code what I can myself.

That's not to say that I won't play around with Unity3D, just that it's not all I would like to do.

So you want to create your own engine? Unity makes it somewhat easier by just providing you with engine components but you code everything else yourself.

Hmm. I didn't know that. Well I've got it downloading just now. I'll look into it when it's done (and I've had some sleep - it's quarter past 4 in the morning).

I also mentioned using DirectX above, though I'm not saying that's what I want to use.

What would be the benefits and drawbacks to using each of these?

- Unity3D

- UnrealEngine 3 (or 4 if it's out now).

- DirectX

- OpenGL

- Whatever else there is?

Look Up Ogre3D, we're working with it at uni. It's just a graphics engine, so sound, physics and game mechanics is something you have to plugin or develop yourself, great fun!

EDIT:

Torchlight was developed in Ogre, and it's sort of adventure/first n third person focused, but 2.0 version is supposed to speed it up when working with large amounts of objects (RTS etc)