VMWare

Schmarvin

I'm about to start pushing out some applications off of one of my services because the service is old, I believe a Dell server, not sure though. Anywho, I've been thinking of replacing it with a newer server and installing VMWare to manage multiple virtual servers in order to better balance the load and resources of the server. What would be the minimum specs for a VMWare server?

Currently running the following on the old server:

Intel Xeon (older generation, before the E Series)

12GB Memory DDR2

4x Dell 146GB SAS 3GB/s drives

I'd like to get something with a newer with the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3 or E5 series

64GB Memory

Storage isn't really relevant as long as it is SASA 6GB/s

Budget is $8000

I'm about to start pushing out some applications off of one of my services because the service is old, I believe a Dell server, not sure though. Anywho, I've been thinking of replacing it with a newer server and installing VMWare to manage multiple virtual servers in order to better balance the load and resources of the server. What would be the minimum specs for a VMWare server?

Currently running the following on the old server:

Intel Xeon (older generation, before the E Series)

12GB Memory DDR2

4x Dell 146GB SAS 3GB/s drives

I'd like to get something with a newer with the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3 or E5 series

64GB Memory

Storage isn't really relevant as long as it is SASA 6GB/s

Budget is $8000

I like your budget. Let me spin something up for you. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Turns out i have to go, here's what i'd suggest grabbing: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859108099CVF

Grab some more RAM and throw it in there. and Bob's your uncle. You're ready to go. 

EDIT: I linked Newegg.ca 

Anyway grab this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859108152&cm_re=HP_ProLiant_DL360p_Gen8-_-59-108-152-_-Product

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

What would be the minimum specs for a VMWare server?

There are not really minimum specs, as long as the CPU supports VT-d it will work.

If your budget is so high, I would recommend looking at pre-build Dell servers, the quality and support will be far greater than anything you build yourself.

There are not really minimum specs, as long as the CPU supports VT-d it will work.

If your budget is so high, I would recommend looking at pre-build Dell servers, the quality and support will be far greater than anything you build yourself.

Me and Dell go way back on how much I despise their products, even on the business/enterprise side. So, if anything I may look into Lenovo, IBM is a bit out of reach unfortunately.

I don't know if I'd go with an HP based on my current experiences with them. Unless their business-class hardware is 100% better than their person/home devices.

I don't know if I'd go with an HP based on my current experiences with them. Unless their business-class hardware is 100% better than their person/home devices.

Their business class hardware is ten-fold better than their consumer/home products. Although when it comes to servers i usually recommend Dell first. I have a little bit more time now. So let me get you a link to a decent dell. 

Rack or Tower?

Their business class hardware is ten-fold better than their consumer/home products. Although when it comes to servers i usually recommend Dell first. I have a little bit more time now. So let me get you a link to a decent dell. 

Rack or Tower?

I'd prefer rack, so I can just shove it in my cabinet. But a tower would be fine.

I'd prefer rack, so I can just shove it in my cabinet. But a tower would be fine.

Awesome, give me a minute, i'll get something configured for you. Any brand preference?

Here's what i'm suggesting you buy;

http://www.thinkmate.com/system/rax-xs8-2260

The following part options are what i recommend you change when ordering: 

CPU: Instead of 2x Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 v2 1.80GHz 10MB Cache (80W)

I suggest you grab 2x Eight-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 v2 2.00GHz 20MB Cache (95W)

The reasoning behind this $1500 change in CPU's should be somewhat self explanatory. When using virtualization, I at least always recommend more cores, over fewer faster cores. This upgrade while doubling the amount of cores, also has a higher frequency. 

Memory:  to 8x16GB PC3-14900 1866MHz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM. 

Although you mentioned in your original post you 64GB was what you were looking at, i'd suggest going with more, for "future-proofing". I use that term very loosely. Essentially what i'm getting at is that you'll benefit from more RAM, and later on down the road, as DDR4 has just come out, the prices of ECC DDR3 DIMM's will go through the roof as DDR2 ECC DIMM's have. Thus making it more beneficial for you to get more RAM upfront. As you said your budget is $8K so you have loads of room to play, even after the upgrades i'm suggesting.

Chassis: Thinkmate® RAX-2308 2U Chassis - 8x Hot-Swap 3.5" SATA/SAS - 740W Redundant Power, The reasoning behind that upgrade is that the first chassis doesn't include a second PSU for redundancy. I HIGHLY suggest making sure your PSU is redundant. If you are running a business, i'm sure you would prefer to deal with things in the morning when you normally get to work, rather than at 3'o'clock in the morning. 

Storage: Up to you, i've left plenty in the budget for you to grab whatever you think you'll need for storage, including a decent RAID card, let me know what you need for storage and i'll give you some options in the RAID card dept.. 

Network Card: I suggest grabbing one of the 4-port NIC's. Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 Quad Port (4x RJ-45) - that one to be exact. Definitely worth the $350. You could even step up to a 10Gb NIC set, and network your entire network 10Gb, but that's for another day, as you would be spending a couple grand on a Switch, and all the rest. 

Rails: You know the drill, and what your cabinet can handle. 

UPS: Up to you. 

OS: I didn't chose one, as you said you'll be using VMWARE. 

Warranty: Thinkmate® Three Year Warranty with Advanced Parts Replacement and RSL - What i suggest. Get the onsite if you want it. 

When you get into storage, i'd suggest grabbing a decent RAID card, ask me if you're not sure. Also grab a battery to go with it. 

Summary of what i suggest: 

Configured Price: $5,582.00 Selection Summary Processor

2 x Eight-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 v2 2.00GHz 20MB Cache (95W)

Motherboard

Intel® C606 Chipset - Dual Intel® Gigabit Ethernet - 8x SATA/SAS - IPMI 2.0 with LAN

Memory

8 x 16GB PC3-14900 1866MHz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM

Chassis

Thinkmate® RAX-2308 2U Chassis - 8x Hot-Swap 3.5" SATA/SAS - 740W Redundant Power

Optical Drive

Slim 8x DVD-RW / 24x CDR Combo (SATA)

Network Card

Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 Quad Port (4x RJ-45)

Mounting Rails

Quick-Release Rackmount Mounting Rails - 26.5" to 36.4" (Included) (MCP-290-00053-0N)

Operating System

No Windows Operating System (Hardware Warranty Only, No Software Support)

Warranty

Thinkmate® Three Year Warranty with Advanced Parts Replacement and RSL

Any questions, concerns, or comments from other users are welcome. 

So you're looking at just under $6K for the server, all ready to go minus drives. $2000 will be more than enough for a decent RAID card, and HDD's.

Here's what i'm suggesting you buy;

http://www.thinkmate.com/system/rax-xs8-2260

The following part options are what i recommend you change when ordering: 

CPU: Instead of 2x Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 v2 1.80GHz 10MB Cache (80W)

I suggest you grab 2x Eight-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 v2 2.00GHz 20MB Cache (95W)

The reasoning behind this $1500 change in CPU's should be somewhat self explanatory. When using virtualization, I at least always recommend more cores, over fewer faster cores. This upgrade while doubling the amount of cores, also has a higher frequency. 

Memory:  to 8x16GB PC3-14900 1866MHz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM. 

Although you mentioned in your original post you 64GB was what you were looking at, i'd suggest going with more, for "future-proofing". I use that term very loosely. Essentially what i'm getting at is that you'll benefit from more RAM, and later on down the road, as DDR4 has just come out, the prices of ECC DDR3 DIMM's will go through the roof as DDR2 ECC DIMM's have. Thus making it more beneficial for you to get more RAM upfront. As you said your budget is $8K so you have loads of room to play, even after the upgrades i'm suggesting.

Chassis: Thinkmate® RAX-2308 2U Chassis - 8x Hot-Swap 3.5" SATA/SAS - 740W Redundant Power, The reasoning behind that upgrade is that the first chassis doesn't include a second PSU for redundancy. I HIGHLY suggest making sure your PSU is redundant. If you are running a business, i'm sure you would prefer to deal with things in the morning when you normally get to work, rather than at 3'o'clock in the morning. 

Storage: Up to you, i've left plenty in the budget for you to grab whatever you think you'll need for storage, including a decent RAID card, let me know what you need for storage and i'll give you some options in the RAID card dept.. 

Network Card: I suggest grabbing one of the 4-port NIC's. Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 Quad Port (4x RJ-45) - that one to be exact. Definitely worth the $350. You could even step up to a 10Gb NIC set, and network your entire network 10Gb, but that's for another day, as you would be spending a couple grand on a Switch, and all the rest. 

Rails: You know the drill, and what your cabinet can handle. 

UPS: Up to you. 

OS: I didn't chose one, as you said you'll be using VMWARE. 

Warranty: Thinkmate® Three Year Warranty with Advanced Parts Replacement and RSL - What i suggest. Get the onsite if you want it. 

When you get into storage, i'd suggest grabbing a decent RAID card, ask me if you're not sure. Also grab a battery to go with it. 

Summary of what i suggest: 

Configured Price: $5,582.00 Selection Summary Processor

2 x Eight-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2640 v2 2.00GHz 20MB Cache (95W)

Motherboard

Intel® C606 Chipset - Dual Intel® Gigabit Ethernet - 8x SATA/SAS - IPMI 2.0 with LAN

Memory

8 x 16GB PC3-14900 1866MHz DDR3 ECC Registered DIMM

Chassis

Thinkmate® RAX-2308 2U Chassis - 8x Hot-Swap 3.5" SATA/SAS - 740W Redundant Power

Optical Drive

Slim 8x DVD-RW / 24x CDR Combo (SATA)

Network Card

Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T4 Quad Port (4x RJ-45)

Mounting Rails

Quick-Release Rackmount Mounting Rails - 26.5" to 36.4" (Included) (MCP-290-00053-0N)

Operating System

No Windows Operating System (Hardware Warranty Only, No Software Support)

Warranty

Thinkmate® Three Year Warranty with Advanced Parts Replacement and RSL

Any questions, concerns, or comments from other users are welcome. 

So you're looking at just under $6K for the server, all ready to go minus drives. $2000 will be more than enough for a decent RAID card, and HDD's.

Yea, thanks for that. Though, I don't believe I need dual eight-core xeons. lol Quad-cores are just as fine.

Better save quite a bit of budget for the annual VMware licence as it can get complicated depending on how many cores you have per CPU and how many CPUs you have for example. There are other free solutions you can use.

Yea, I like VMware, especially being able to use vSphere. Other free alternatives don't give enough features. I could probably find cheaper alternatives though.

What features do you need? Free alternatives have advanced features such as clustering and high availability that you won't get with VMware unless you pay alot of money for.

I need remote management for multiple virtual private servers (VPS) and the ability to organize them. Plus, I'd like the ability to remote backup. Essentially, I also need to be able to remote in and manage security settings as well.

Yea, thanks for that. Though, I don't believe I need dual eight-core xeons. lol Quad-cores are just as fine.

Yea, I like VMware, especially being able to use vSphere. Other free alternatives don't give enough features. I could probably find cheaper alternatives though.

I didn't know what you needed, You didn't really outline extremely well. :P Quad cores works, i'm just suggesting for longer life.