Monitor not displaying anything.

HirtheryDurthery

I know it was pretty stupid to do this but I decided to unplug the DVI cable that was plugged into my monitor from PC and replaced it with this xbox 360 one to test if the damn thing worked. It worked so later I plugged my PC back in through the same DVI cable that was plugged in (it was still turned on) and my monitor was not showing anything. I noticed the device unplugged noise you get when you unplug a USB drive and that when I unplugged the dvi cable and when I plugged it back in. My monitor just wouldn't detect anything being connected into it and would go in to power saver mode. Sometimes it would not go into power saving mode and just pop up a message saying it was not detecting a signal. I thought it could have been the monitors dvi port problem so I plugged the xbox back in but it still worked. I got another dvi to dvi cable and plugged my PC through that but there was no difference. Sorry for my not so great English and my little knowledge on this stuff. Also I am not sure if this is important but my specs are:

• i5 4670k
  • GAZ87HD3
  • Quadro 2000
  • 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance

I didn't put full specs but I think thats the only part that really matters. All the GPU and CPU fans are working fine. I don't think booting from the integrated graphics is an option as I disabled it through the BIOS when I installed the graphics card into the PC.

obvious I know... but have you tired rebooting your PC?

Yeah I have.

This should be in the troubleshooting section.

Oh, should I close this thread and re-open it in troubleshooting? 

you would half to ask a mod i think

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Hm, its not really letting me delete the thread or anything.

Don't worry about it, a mod will move it if necessary.  I was just pointing it out for your own information and for future reference.

back to the topic... have you tried clearing CMOS?

Have you tried making sure that your monitor is looking for the right input. Sometimes the auto detect doesn't work and you need to select the input manually via the monitor

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

you could try enabling onboard graphics and seeing if itll show from the dvi on the mobo.  also try manually going to the dvi input on your monitor.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Id just assume the Monitor is looking for the HDMI feed from the Xbone, and you should be able to press the menu and switch input to DVI but make sure you shake your mouse / tap the cursur keys on your keyboard to ensure the feed just inst in sleep mode. 

Clearing the cmos for this seems extreme and I would avoid that advice! 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

So I ended up resetting the CMOS to try boot through integrated graphics and nothing happened. That was yesterday, today I unplugged the GPU and plugged the monitor in through integrated graphics using VGA cable and it worked! Now I will try use the DVI cable in the motherboard and see if that works.

So I ended up resetting the CMOS to try boot through integrated graphics and nothing happened. That was yesterday, today I unplugged the GPU and plugged the monitor in through integrated graphics using VGA cable and it worked! Now I will try use the DVI cable in the motherboard and see if that works.

DVI cable worked. Is my graphics card broken? I can't really test it as the rest of my family are Mac users with no upgradable computers...

Do you have another PCI-E slot on your motherboard you could try?

(for future reference, ALWAYS post your motherboard model with a spec list. the four items you listed are important, but the motherboard definitely is a part "that matters")

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Do you have another PCI-E slot on your motherboard you could try?

(for future reference, ALWAYS post your motherboard model with a spec list. the four items you listed are important, but the motherboard definitely is a part "that matters")

Actually yes I do, thanks I will try that in a second.

Unrelated to this topic but now when I go on Chrome on google.com it says that there is an encryption error or something which it didn't show before. My computer I think is fairly clean when it comes to malware.

Just plugged in GPU to other PCIe slot. Nothing is displayed. I might attempt to get hold of a mini display port to DVI adapter for monitor to test if that works...

Do you happen to have access to another PC where you can try the Quadro? If no display on a different computer, then you know the GPU is dead. It may have been complete coincidence that it died at the same time you were trying your Xbox.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Do you happen to have access to another PC where you can try the Quadro? If no display on a different computer, then you know the GPU is dead. It may have been complete coincidence that it died at the same time you were trying your Xbox.

I am afraid I don't really have access to one right now. I might be able to in a few days.

My GPU still heats up when I feel the back where the ports are and the fan goes on. Could that be a sign that the GPU is still alive? It would really suck if it was broken...

So I have another update. I did the same stupid thing again, sorry. But this time when I was running my PC on integrated graphics. So I ended up plugging the xbox in again, yeah I started playing just for fun since a few friends play it. Anyways when I start up my PC now the monitor doesn't detect anything but when I replug the cables, unlike when I was using the GPU, the monitor does display the main screen. However, it is in a blue colour. This made me wonder about whether it was actually the GPU that was broken or not.

I've been having this issue as well. Before I say anything else I'll post my specs:

AMD FX 8150 @3.6ghz

Gigabyte 900FXUDA3 mobo (I think that's it's name)

Seasonic 860watt 80 plus platinum PSU

Corsair h70 CPU cooler

Sapphire R9 290

The problems started happening after I replaced the fans on my h70 CPU cooler from the stock ones to cooler master sickle flow fans. I then looked on Tom's hardware and they said it was probably my PSU being incompetent, so I bought a new one yesterday. My old one was a lite power 700. I had an old Gigabyte HD 7850 which I replaced in June for my r9 290. There were no issues with power until now, even when I overclocked, even though my old PSU could only output 526 watts.

I put my new PSU in this morning, and everything is wired up correctly, so that isn't the issue. After booting up, I got the same message on my monitor saying no signal. This error occurred on dvi and hdmi, even after trying different cables and using different dvi ports. It isn't the monitor's problem as it works over hdmi with my ps3 and laptop. I'm honestly getting quite frustrated atm as I haven't been able to use my computer for 2 weeks now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I have already read all the posts in this thread. Sorry about the really long post haha :/

I've been having this issue as well. Before I say anything else I'll post my specs:

AMD FX 8150 @3.6ghz

Gigabyte 900FXUDA3 mobo (I think that's it's name)

Seasonic 860watt 80 plus platinum PSU

Corsair h70 CPU cooler

Sapphire R9 290

The problems started happening after I replaced the fans on my h70 CPU cooler from the stock ones to cooler master sickle flow fans. I then looked on Tom's hardware and they said it was probably my PSU being incompetent, so I bought a new one yesterday. My old one was a lite power 700. I had an old Gigabyte HD 7850 which I replaced in June for my r9 290. There were no issues with power until now, even when I overclocked, even though my old PSU could only output 526 watts.

I put my new PSU in this morning, and everything is wired up correctly, so that isn't the issue. After booting up, I got the same message on my monitor saying no signal. This error occurred on dvi and hdmi, even after trying different cables and using different dvi ports. It isn't the monitor's problem as it works over hdmi with my ps3 and laptop. I'm honestly getting quite frustrated atm as I haven't been able to use my computer for 2 weeks now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I have already read all the posts in this thread. Sorry about the really long post haha :/

try reseating the GPU and/or clean the pci port and card connectors

let us know how it goes

So I have another update. I did the same stupid thing again, sorry. But this time when I was running my PC on integrated graphics. So I ended up plugging the xbox in again, yeah I started playing just for fun since a few friends play it. Anyways when I start up my PC now the monitor doesn't detect anything but when I replug the cables, unlike when I was using the GPU, the monitor does display the main screen. However, it is in a blue colour. This made me wonder about whether it was actually the GPU that was broken or not.

could be a bad cable, as the pins can break or not connect properly sometimes

try reseating the GPU and/or clean the pci port and card connectors

let us know how it goes

I took it out and put it back in (I did this before too when I had to plug in the new CPU power cable), I cleaned out the pci-e slot and the dvi port, but still the same issue. I even took the whole card out and put my old one back in, and the problem still persisted. Now I'll try putting the old card in one of the lower slots. (The r9 290 is massive and doesn't fit in the lower ones unless I take out the hard drive cage) I'll report back once I've done that.

I took it out and put it back in (I did this before too when I had to plug in the new CPU power cable), I cleaned out the pci-e slot and the dvi port, but still the same issue. I even took the whole card out and put my old one back in, and the problem still persisted. Now I'll try putting the old card in one of the lower slots. (The r9 290 is massive and doesn't fit in the lower ones unless I take out the hard drive cage) I'll report back once I've done that.

Alright so I was taking out the metal backplates on the PCI slots, those ones at the back of the case, and cos I have a stupid case, you have to physically tear them off; they're attached by two metal bits, and of course I cut my finger doing it lol. Anyway I put the GPU in there, and STILL THE SAME PROBLEM!! My only guess now is that it's a motherboard problem, which would be very annoying. As a side note, I got my computer sometime near the beginning/ middle of 2012, and the only things I have upgraded since then have all been recently, ie the new GPU, fans, and PSU. I think now I'll just go to a computer shop to see what can be done, but otherwise, thanks for your help :)

could be a bad cable, as the pins can break or not connect properly sometimes

I don't really think it would be as I have tested it with multiple cables when my GPU wasn't working (still isn't by the way). I will test it in a minute though.

Tested it, there was no difference even with a different cable. Also I forgot to mention but the monitor is very old (good 6-8 years). If its a problem with the monitor I would just replace that but I need to be sure its a monitor problem.