Arc Mini R2 or Define Mini

yas1320

Hi Guys,

I have been looking for a new case for couple of weeks now.  I have decided to go for a Fractal design case.  However, cannot decide between Define Mini and the Arc Mini R2.  Need your suggestion please.  If you have had this case please vote and please give me your feedback, pluses and minuses etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yas1320

It depends on which design because the interior is the same.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Do you prefer sleek and silent or high airflow?

Excellent question, which I was just just thinking about mansoor_. I prefer it to be silent, although I would obviously like it to have good airflow. However, I will not be overclocking. I was just thinking as the define mini is all closed off and padded, will it still have good airflow?

It depends on which design because the interior is the same.

Yes, it pretty much looks the same inside.

Excellent question, which I was just just thinking about mansoor_.  I prefer it to be silent, although I would obviously like it to have good airflow.  However, I will not be overclocking.  I was just thinking as the define mini is all closed off and padded, will it still have good airflow?

The airflow will be sufficient unless you have an air cooled sli or crossfire configuration, but if you wanted to overclock you would be able to push further with the arc midi. I have the arc midi r2 and use a ultra low rpm fans at the front of the case and it is whisper silent, fortunately both have integrated fan controllers.

Yes, it pretty much looks the same inside.    

I have the Arc Mini R2 and I love it and you would but still, if you get the Define Mini you'll love it as much as I love my Arc Mini. Because the Define Mini is a 'silent' case it will raise heat up by like 1-2 degrees C, but nothing big.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

The airflow will be sufficient unless you have an air cooled sli or crossfire configuration, but if you wanted to overclock you would be able to push further with the arc midi. I have the arc midi r2 and use a ultra low rpm fans at the front of the case and it is whisper silent, fortunately both have integrated fan controllers.

I have the Arc Mini R2 and I love it and you would but still, if you get the Define Mini you'll love it as much as I love my Arc Mini. Because the Define Mini is a 'silent' case it will raise heat up by like 1-2 degrees C, but nothing big.

Thanks guys for your input, very helpful.

decisions, decisions!  :D

@yas1320

if you are performance oriented, the arc mini r2 would be the choice. airflow

considerations in the define are a bit restrictive and can be a PITA for open cooler

graphics cards. they do share similarities, but the define hasn't had the R2

treatment: updated SSD mount on mobo tray, frees up HDD cages.

@yas1320

if you are performance oriented, the arc mini r2 would be the choice. airflow

considerations in the define are a bit restrictive and can be a PITA for open cooler

graphics cards. they do share similarities, but the define hasn't had the R2

treatment: updated SSD mount on mobo tray, frees up HDD cages.

I definitely like the fact R2 has the SSD mounts on the mobo tray.  In terms of the fans on the R2 are they quite loud?

@yas1320

nope at 12v they are barely noticeable with close proximity (less than 10cm away).

most complain that they are quite, but not big on airflow. they are fine for getting a

system together and later upgrading. fine choice.

watch the etailers for sales or find it on partspicker and set the alarm for $65.

@yas1320

nope at 12v they are barely noticeable with close proximity (less than 10cm away).

most complain that they are quite, but not big on airflow. they are fine for getting a

watch the etailers for sales or find it on partspicker and set the alarm for $65.

great stuff airdeano, really appreciate it.  Thanks again.

I have the Define Mini, but I think the Arc (R2) is the better case, loads of water cooling options and fully removable HDD cages. . . Plus better airflow.

In terms of silence, a case really is only as silent as it's loudest component, So how much more silent the Define is over the Arc is really down to what you choose to put in either system.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Thanks MPX309, I have never thought about it the way you put it. It sounds logical, it is definitely the types of components you put in the case, which will make it silent.

@yas1320

Currently at £52.98 including shipping at ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/580648-fractal-design-arc-mini-r2-micro-atx-case-fd-ca-arc-mini-r2-bl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CjwKEAjwhqShBRDS95LciqqaonISJADj1rganlXfP6fWP5DTVSg1e-X30Zn-CMpLt_xo7Wtw4DMTkhoCw1nw_wcB

Thanks MPX309, I have never thought about it the way you put it. It sounds logical, it is definitely the types of components you put in the case, which will make it silent.

Yeah part of me wishes I had the R2 Arc instead now, as without modding I've gone as far as I can go with the define really. . .  still if you don't intend to have anything more than a 120 AIO or air cooler then maybe the define will be the right choice, but personally for me if I had to choose again I'd pick the Arc. Also worth noting there is very little space behind the mobo tray in the define, which can make routing a bit difficult.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Yeah part of me wishes I had the R2 Arc instead now, as without modding I've gone as far as I can go with the define really. . . still if you don't intend to have anything more than a 120 AIO or air cooler then maybe the define will be the right choice, but personally for me if I had to choose again I'd pick the Arc. Also worth noting there is very little space behind the mobo tray in the define, which can make routing a bit difficult.

I have heard about the limited routing space behind the motherboard. That's one of the few reasons I am leaning towards the ARC 2.