SLI vs Single GPU

Go to solution Solved by Applepienation,

Use SLI if you have the money and want the performance. A single GPU won't give you ultra at 60+FPS for the next 3 years. 2, almost definitely will.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/7X6zpg

Here's an example build for $2750. I saved some of the budget for extras, such as a microphone. Some things, like the case and motherboard I chose less for the actual component and more just to say "This is a good price for this component". Of course if you want a different case, go ahead.

Unfortunately the budget wouldn't support Haswell-E and 2 GTX 980s AND aftermarket fans with enough budget left over for extras, so I was for ced to lower it to a 4790K. In games a 4790K and a 5820K or 5930K will perform very similarly, but if you intend to make youtube videos the extra cores and threads would have helped with rendering. I also tried to put in a 500GB SSD instead of a 256, but was again forced to cut back. Regardless, the 256gb drive is more than enough for a couple games and any software you might need, while the 2tb drive will suffice for just about anything else you need, unless you intend to keep un-compressed backups of all your videos.

And remember, this has 2 of what are basically the best gaming cards in the world right now, so if it doesn't get you 60fps at ultra at at least 1080p in 3 years, then nothing would at this time.

You could wait for AMDs response to Maxwell and see what that brings, but that won't be for awhile and we can't say how it'll compare. I would also wait until some more GTX 980 aftermarket coolers are released if you are concerned about sound. The reference cooler is good, but there are certainly better options.

The CPU will suffice for 3 years easy. Games still don't use all the threads of an i7 so you won't have to worry about it getting outdated. I would recommend overclocking as it will help later on.

Hello, I'm new to the computer build theme and I still can't get the answer for this......

SINGLE GPU VS SLI

I know that SLl doesn't perform that well, and it doesn't give you 2x of the performance increase. It does run hot and make a lot more trouble than single gpu.

BUT, this is not the case I'm worring about. I want to make a computer that can last 3 years every game on ultra setting with 90+ fps.

I kind of want to buy dual gpu and show it off but for the long run, after I saw dual 500 series and 400 series (which is 3years old gpu) perform really poor on Battlefield 4.

I do not want to waste $1000+ for dual gpu and doesn't get more than 100 fps in 3 years. I do have money to upgrade the gpu in 2 years but my parents wont let me do it.

It is better to go for single powerful gpu and consider changing it after while (which will be pain in the ass because my parents wont let me do it easly) or just yolo it and go for dual sli.

I'm really afraid of buying a gpu and getting outdated. I know, you guys will think like "well, I guess you never bought a computer components because your scared of your stuff getting outdated" and yeah, that's true. I took a year to buy Gtx760 because I was scared that If i buy Gtx780, next gen gpu such as 900 series will just eat it up even it's 960. Gtx670 use to be one of the best gpu but right now, it's worse than Gtx760 which is almost $100 cheaper.

Please be gentle, english is not my first language and I'm new to the computer building things.

Also, Is it better for me to use $3000 right now and use it for 3 years or use less money and upgrade it later on.

If you have time to do so, please pull out a spec that can last long atleast 3 years 90+ fps on ultra settings. Including microphone that can be use for Youtube.

I hate stock fans so I would love to replace every case fans with Corsair fans (least 4 fans just for the case). 

I want to have white LED light but I do not want fans with LED lights.

If you are veteran builder or Youtuber, please pull out a specs in $2500~$3000 that can record HD video with 80+ fps for 2 years(at least)

Use SLI if you have the money and want the performance. A single GPU won't give you ultra at 60+FPS for the next 3 years. 2, almost definitely will.

Here's an example build for $2750. I saved some of the budget for extras, such as a microphone. Some things, like the case and motherboard I chose less for the actual component and more just to say "This is a good price for this component". Of course if you want a different case, go ahead.

Unfortunately the budget wouldn't support Haswell-E and 2 GTX 980s AND aftermarket fans with enough budget left over for extras, so I was for ced to lower it to a 4790K. In games a 4790K and a 5820K or 5930K will perform very similarly, but if you intend to make youtube videos the extra cores and threads would have helped with rendering. I also tried to put in a 500GB SSD instead of a 256, but was again forced to cut back. Regardless, the 256gb drive is more than enough for a couple games and any software you might need, while the 2tb drive will suffice for just about anything else you need, unless you intend to keep un-compressed backups of all your videos.

And remember, this has 2 of what are basically the best gaming cards in the world right now, so if it doesn't get you 60fps at ultra at at least 1080p in 3 years, then nothing would at this time.

You could wait for AMDs response to Maxwell and see what that brings, but that won't be for awhile and we can't say how it'll compare. I would also wait until some more GTX 980 aftermarket coolers are released if you are concerned about sound. The reference cooler is good, but there are certainly better options.

The CPU will suffice for 3 years easy. Games still don't use all the threads of an i7 so you won't have to worry about it getting outdated. I would recommend overclocking as it will help later on.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

If you're new start with a single GPU. Less heat, noise, compatibility issues, overall hassle and SLI shenanigans IMO.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

90+ FPS on Ultra would depend a lot on the game, but an SLI setup should manage it no problem. Very few games are made to really push single/dual GPU setups, so that shouldn't be a problem. Would also depend on resolution. 1080p is guaranteed to run really smoothly, but 1440p at 90+ FPS on a dual GPU setup might be asking for a lot. 

Dual 970 is probably the best value right now. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

sli 980's and a 4790k would work nicely in a build. I doubt it will do 90 fps on any game for the next three years though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Starts off with ultra settings with 90+ fps.

And now you need 100+ fps in 3 years.

But then you change again to 90+ 3 years w/ ultra settings.

Ends off with 80+ in 2 years.

Dual SLI is not 2x performance. But it's like 1.8x times. It's good in the long run.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Dual SLI is not 2x performance. But it's like 1.8x times. It's good in the long run.

it also depends on the pcie speed performance, if you were running 16x/4x speed in sli, then the performance increase may not be much over one gpu. 

it also depends on the pcie speed performance, if you were running 16x/4x speed in sli, then the performance increase may not be much over one gpu. 

Well, 1.8x is considering that you have a good MB.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

What resolution will you hope to be running for the next 3 years? Will you be able to upgrade along the course of the next few years or do you want to do a one time purchase and be over with it? Assuming you want 1080p/1440p, I would recommend a single gtx 970, great price/performance, and if you find you need more power to buy another and SLI them, but if one works fine then thats even better!

I know that SLl doesn't perform that well, and it doesn't give you 2x of the performance increase. It does run hot and make a lot more trouble than single gpu.

2 way SLI performs great...

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Well, 1.8x is considering that you have a good MB.

Crossfire(motherboard doesn't support sli) would suck for me, crossfire speed would be 16x/4x speeds so the performance increase might not be much. So yeah, if you have a good motherboard that pcie speeds are fast for sli then it would have  a great performance increase over one gpu.

Starts off with ultra settings with 90+ fps.

And now you need 100+ fps in 3 years.

But then you change again to 90+ 3 years w/ ultra settings.

Ends off with 80+ in 2 years.

I know you understand what i'm saying. Stop whining, if your not gonna help me out just don't leave a comment.

90+ FPS on Ultra would depend a lot on the game, but an SLI setup should manage it no problem. Very few games are made to really push single/dual GPU setups, so that shouldn't be a problem. Would also depend on resolution. 1080p is guaranteed to run really smoothly, but 1440p at 90+ FPS on a dual GPU setup might be asking for a lot. 

Dual 970 is probably the best value right now. 

What resolution will you hope to be running for the next 3 years? Will you be able to upgrade along the course of the next few years or do you want to do a one time purchase and be over with it? Assuming you want 1080p/1440p, I would recommend a single gtx 970, great price/performance, and if you find you need more power to buy another and SLI them, but if one works fine then thats even better!

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I would just go for single Gtx970/980 and make another purchase later on. I do not like iffy purchase. Thank you so much for helping me out and have a good day

SLI is garbage.

get the best single card you can have,

Gordan Mah Ung of MAXIMUM PC preaches this alot.... listen, kiddies. 

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I know you understand what i'm saying. Stop whining, if your not gonna help me out just don't leave a comment.

No, in fact, I did not understand it. What am I supposed to say if you're asking for some unreasonable fps at a unspecified resolution. I don't know if you're asking if you can run 90+ fps on 720p, or 4k surround. And you didn't even specify why you needed to run it at some random fps, or if you overclocked your monitor to that specific refresh rate. There is NO REASON for a game to run at that specific fps, it only needs to be at 60, or whatever refresh rate your monitor is running at. You were very misleading with your post, you NEVER specified the resolution, and you were jumping all over the place with your post. How am I supposed to say anything when you say "I'll have the money but my parents won't let me buy it" Am I supposed to recommend something that will be good until 2 years, or something that will last more than 2 years. You are being very rude. 

No, in fact, I did not understand it. What am I supposed to say if you're asking for some unreasonable fps at a unspecified resolution. I don't know if you're asking if you can run 90+ fps on 720p, or 4k surround. And you didn't even specify why you needed to run it at some random fps, or if you overclocked your monitor to that specific refresh rate. There is NO REASON for a game to run at that specific fps, it only needs to be at 60, or whatever refresh rate your monitor is running at. You were very misleading with your post, you NEVER specified the resolution, and you were jumping all over the place with your post. How am I supposed to say anything when you say "I'll have the money but my parents won't let me buy it" Am I supposed to recommend something that will be good until 2 years, or something that will last more than 2 years. You are being very rude. 

Again, if you not gonna help than just stop commenting please. If your not sure, than you can ask on the comment like "refresh rate of monitor" you were being rude at the first place whining with 100fps and 80 and stuff. You never told me that you don't understand it. It just sound like your whining

Again, if you not gonna help than just stop commenting please. If your not sure, than you can ask on the comment like "refresh rate of monitor" you were being rude at the first place whining with 100fps and 80 and stuff. You never told me that you don't understand it. It just sound like your whining

1. It seems like you don't understand what I'm trying to say. You are being very rude. People are free to comment on something they're interested in, it's what this forum is for. "If you not gonna help than just stop commenting please" Again, you can't force people not to comment on a thread you made them comment on. And your grammar... You should work on that. 

2. You NEVER SAID the refresh rate of the monitor OR the resolution. If it wasn't obvious enough sherlock, I was asking you to get a more reasonable question with some background settings. WHY you exactly need to achieve such a weird number, or WHAT resolution you are playing at, because you could get "whatever random fps that you can make up at the time w/ ultra settings" on 360p with a single gpu, but you can't get that on a 4k surround setup no matter what GPU setup you have. 

3. I was whining when I said "100fps and 80 and stuff"? OF COURSE I'm going to be confused if you specify different numbers every time, I can't possibly know what to answer with. Try to answer your own question. You won't be able to.

4. If you're going to argue with me, you should actually read what I'm saying, because you're going to lose if you don't. And double check what you wrote, because it makes you seem like someone who doesn't know what's going on. Or maybe you are. I bet you didn't even read my second post, maybe that's why you seems so clueless. 

1. It seems like you don't understand what I'm trying to say. You are being very rude. People are free to comment on something they're interested in, it's what this forum is for. "If you not gonna help than just stop commenting please" Again, you can't force people not to comment on a thread you made them comment on. And your grammar... You should work on that. 

2. You NEVER SAID the refresh rate of the monitor OR the resolution. If it wasn't obvious enough sherlock, I was asking you to get a more reasonable question with some background settings. WHY you exactly need to achieve such a weird number, or WHAT resolution you are playing at, because you could get "whatever random fps that you can make up at the time w/ ultra settings" on 360p with a single gpu, but you can't get that on a 4k surround setup no matter what GPU setup you have. 

3. I was whining when I said "100fps and 80 and stuff"? OF COURSE I'm going to be confused if you specify different numbers every time, I can't possibly know what to answer with. Try to answer your own question. You won't be able to.

4. If you're going to argue with me, you should actually read what I'm saying, because you're going to lose if you don't. And double check what you wrote, because it makes you seem like someone who doesn't know what's going on. Or maybe you are. I bet you didn't even read my second post, maybe that's why you seems so clueless.

Oi, u not gonna help than stop commenting. And take a chill pill jesus

Oi, u not gonna help than stop commenting. And take a chill pill jesus

"Oi"

"u not gonna help"

"than"

The grammar in that.