NEED RESPONSES ASAP PLEASE!

Dive5885

So I'm cleaning my cards out for the new thermal paste that is coming tomorrow ( noctua nt-h1 )

I decided to have to cards clean and ready when the new paste comes and I noticed the Memory thermal pads look like crap... 

What should I do...?

Clean everything and replace it with the noctua nt-h1 or just leave it and just replace the thermal on the gpu core...?

Please help!!!

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate it!

post-68968-0-59333700-1411531729_thumb.j

post-68968-0-72878900-1411531738_thumb.j

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

NEVER put paste in replacement of the pads.

So what would you recommend then?

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

So what would you recommend then?

You need to buy new thermal pads if you're going to replace them. Contact the maker of your card and ask for the thickness of them.

You need to buy new thermal pads if you're going to replace them. Contact the maker of your card and ask for the thickness of them.

what would happen if I just put it back like it is now ?

what would happen if I just put it back like it is now ?

It'll be pretty fine if you can line it back up without moving them.

It'll be pretty fine if you can line it back up without moving them.

would it be okay to add a very very small amount of thermal on the ones that look like they need it ? 

Smaller than a grain of rice amount. 

Just to be safe or am I risking problems ?

It would be recommended to replace every one of those thermal pads. But as the above poster stated, NEVER replace pads with paste.

would it be okay to add a very very small amount of thermal on the ones that look like they need it ? 

No.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

As AlwaysFSX said, never never put thermal paste on the memory and vrms, it's not only bad for temps but it can kill the graphics card.

There is a exact spacing between the cooler's contact points and the memory/vrm, the thermal pads must be that size, if you get a thicker one it can put strain on the card, if you get a thin one your temps are going to suck, it needs to be the correct size.

You can use the current thermal pads until you find a  suitable replacement, they look like they are on the crappy side, but that's what the AMD reference cooler usually brings.

As AlwaysFSX said, never never put thermal paste on the memory and vrms, it's not only bad for temps but it can kill the graphics card.

There is a exact spacing between the cooler's contact points and the memory/vrm, the thermal pads must be that size, if you get a thicker one it can put strain on the card, if you get a thin one your temps are going to suck, it needs to be the correct size.

You can use the current thermal pads until you find a  suitable replacement, they look like they are on the crappy side, but that's what the AMD reference cooler usually brings.

Alright well I guess I will just stick with the original ones 

Don't do it, it creates a gap and prevents heat to transfer.

I will just leave the original ones on. 

Alright well I guess I will just stick with the original ones 

Yeah, the problem is thermal compound needs to be used in a very slight amount, just to cover the small imperfections on the contact between the cooler and CPU/GPU, making sure it's a good seal, where air won't bother and heat will be transferred as best as possible.

The VRMs and memory on a GPU are not touching the cooler actually, there is a space (of even a good couple of millimetres sometimes) between them; the pads are thick (compared to the very thin cape of thermal paste on the GPU), and they fill in for the gap between the cooler.

The problem with using thermal compound there is that it won't fill in for the gap, it will start leaking and falling in other parts of the card (as it liquefies when heated); also the memory/VRM must not be in direct contact with electric conductors, most compounds are conductive or become conductive after some time; frying and shorting all the card.

Yeah, the problem is thermal compound needs to be used in a very slight amount, just to cover the small imperfections on the contact between the cooler and CPU/GPU, making sure it's a good seal, where air won't bother and heat will be transferred as best as possible.

The VRMs and memory on a GPU are not touching the cooler actually, there is a space (of even a good couple of millimetres sometimes) between them; the pads are thick (compared to the very thin cape of thermal paste on the GPU), and they fill in for the gap between the cooler.

The problem with using thermal compound there is that it won't fill in for the gap, it will start leaking and falling in other parts of the card (as it liquefies when heated); also the memory/VRM must not be in direct contact with electric conductors, most compounds are conductive or become conductive after some time; frying and shorting all the card.

I understand. 

I just started to worry when I saw the pads on the memory but I didn't have issues before and I don't plan on OC the cards. 

I Just felt like it was time to replace the paste on the cards. 

There a few years old and the past was dry like a desert. 

Well i'm only replacing the main card. 

Not sure if I should do the second card or not ?

I understand. 

I just started to worry when I saw the pads on the memory but I didn't have issues before and I don't plan on OC the cards. 

I Just felt like it was time to replace the paste on the cards. 

There a few years old and the past was dry like a desert. 

Well i'm only replacing the main card. 

Not sure if I should do the second card or not ?

I'd suggest you get a couple of different pads, you can get them on websites that sell water cooling stuff (like frozenCPU, etc), they have different sizes (they are not that many) and they are usually very cheap ( no need to go premium here).

Then without cutting the pad too much, make test fit, if it's flexing the cooler/card even by a slight bit, it's too thick, if you can get it out of the gap (using some kind of tool to reach it), or even move it, then it's on the smaller side. Once you find the right size, make the cuts right and put them in all the of memory.

They usually go by the name of Thermal conductive adhesive, transfer tape, double sided thermal pad, etc.

I'd suggest you get a couple of different pads, you can get them on websites that sell water cooling stuff (like frozenCPU, etc), they have different sizes (they are not that many) and they are usually very cheap ( no need to go premium here).

Then without cutting the pad too much, make test fit, if it's flexing the cooler/card even by a slight bit, it's too thick, if you can get it out of the gap (using some kind of tool to reach it), or even move it, then it's on the smaller side. Once you find the right size, make the cuts right and put them in all the of memory.

They usually go by the name of Thermal conductive adhesive, transfer tape, double sided thermal pad, etc.

I think for now I will Reuse the original ones and hope it works out. 

I honestly can't afford to get new pads at the moment.

So I just hope the old pads will work 

Thanks to one of my best friends... 

He gave me thermal pads for the gpu!

What do you guys think ?

post-68968-0-75069800-1411542615_thumb.j

Thanks to one of my best friends... 

He gave me thermal pads for the gpu!

What do you guys think ?

Good luck, I hope it works?