Recent Topics

Photo

1155 vs. 1150

haswell ivy bridge 3770k 4770k overclocking de-lidding delid processor cpu motherboard

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic
TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I'm building a new rig (my first) this summer for gaming and doing some overclocking. I was going to buy Haswell until I saw how bad it's thermal performance was. There are a lot of 3770k's going cheap on ebay at the moment, even new ones. What should I do? Are the new motherboards too good to miss?

1. Get a new Haswell 4770k for £300 (and possibly delid it which I feel uncomfortable with) 

2. Get a N.I.B Ivy Bridge 3770K for £210 and sacrifice having the newer 1150 mobo features?

Using a generic 8 yr old Toshiba laptop: Intel core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Jet engine fan. Old desktop system:

Spoiler

ALXAndy
ALXAndy

CO Zombie Mods

• 2,030 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

3770k and a decent Z77 as they're cheap as balls right now.

I'm a caring understanding nineties type. You can call me c**t.

Nexus
Nexus

• 524 posts
  • LocationScotland

If you can get a 3770k and mobo for cheap then go that way. I know that they are close to the same price in the uk atm.

I would not go second hand on any components personally, just due to lack of warranty.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | 

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Will I be missing out on any good features for the new Z87 motherboards?

Using a generic 8 yr old Toshiba laptop: Intel core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Jet engine fan. Old desktop system:

Spoiler

Puneetasouras
Puneetasouras

• 475 posts
Go for haswell if you have the money but z77 is very good all so you wont be missing out on that many features

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

If you can get a 3770k and mobo for cheap then go that way. I know that they are close to the same price in the uk atm.

I would not go second hand on any components personally, just due to lack of warranty.

I know, there are some used 3770k's for as low as £175, but I thought it would probably be better to go for a new £210 one. there's a £90 price difference.

Spoiler

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Go for haswell if you have the money but z77 is very good all so you wont be missing out on that many features

Really? I wont be able to overclock it past 4.6Ghz which is really a lot lower than I normally like to OC for others.

Spoiler

gts250ftw
gts250ftw

• 338 posts

where the hell is a 3770k 210$?!

Puneetasouras
Puneetasouras

• 475 posts

Really? I wont be able to overclock it past 4.6Ghz which is really a lot lower than I normally like to OC for others.

4.6 ghz are you using a custom watercooling loop

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

4.6 ghz are you using a custom watercooling loop

For a 4.6Ghz overclock, I know for a fact that an AIO watercooling loop is enough for the Sandy and Ivy Bridge i7's. for Haswell, I'd feel comfortable with a 4.4ghz OC on an AIO set up.

Spoiler

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

where the hell is a 3770k 210$?!

This is in the U.K unfortunately. £210 (pounds) not dollars. 

Spoiler

Bumpynoggin
Bumpynoggin

• 52 posts
  • LocationPerth, Austalia
I'm I the same position as you. I'd still go with haswell. I didn't think the temps were that different to be honest. I may be wrong but ill take a couple hundred MHz lower OC to be on the latest chipset.

I wouldn't upgrade from Ivy Bridge or maybe even Sandy Bridge, I'm coming from a mid range first gen i7 OEM computer.
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
- Albert Einstein

gts250ftw
gts250ftw

• 338 posts

This is in the U.K unfortunately. £210 (pounds) not dollars. 

oh damn...lol its still like what 275usd:? :/ heh 

I'm I the same position as you. I'd still go with haswell. I didn't think the temps were that different to be honest. I may be wrong but ill take a couple hundred MHz lower OC to be on the latest chipset.

I wouldn't upgrade from Ivy Bridge or maybe even Sandy Bridge, I'm coming from a mid range first gen i7 OEM computer.

but why would it have higher temps since it has a lower tdp? Oo less surface area to dissipate the heat or sumn? ? irdk lol...

• 270 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
Take it as a reminder that Haswell will apparently be better for OC
Anyone correct if I'm wrong
CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Puneetasouras
Puneetasouras

• 475 posts

For a 4.6Ghz overclock, I know for a fact that an AIO watercooling loop is enough for the Sandy and Ivy Bridge i7's. for Haswell, I'd feel comfortable with a 4.4ghz OC on an AIO set up.

Then go with haswell if your think it would be better for you :)

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Budget is more of a concern for me unfortunately. Here are my options:

1. Go for Ivy Bridge 3770k and a Maximus V Extreme for £435 

2. Get the Haswell 4770k and a mid-range MSI GD65 Gaming Ed for £450

So, Newer processor with mid-range Motherboard or last gen processor with highest-end motherboard?

Spoiler

Bumpynoggin
Bumpynoggin

• 52 posts
  • LocationPerth, Austalia

but why would it have higher temps since it has a lower tdp? Oo less surface area to dissipate the heat or sumn? ? irdk lol...

I didn't know haswell has higher temps to be honest.
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
- Albert Einstein

• 270 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Budget is more of a concern for me unfortunately. Here are my options:

1. Go for Ivy Bridge 3770k and a Maximus V Extreme for £435
2. Get the Haswell 4770k and a mid-range MSI GD65 Gaming Ed for £450

So, Newer processor with mid-range Motherboard or last gen processor with highest-end motherboard?

Well you should go with number 1 because as far as I know there's not a lot of difference between 3rd and 4th generation and 3770k is still quite powerful
CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

TheDigitalRealm
TheDigitalRealm

SC - Venator

• 2,306 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Check out bit-tech's review: http://www.bit-tech....0k-cpu-review/8

"From here, though, the temperatures increased rapidly and we reached our limit of 4.7GHz using 1.257V and a scorching temperature of 98°C, and that's using a Corsair H100i, which we know to offer the best cooling short of a custom water-cooling kit."

Spoiler

Nexus
Nexus

• 524 posts
  • LocationScotland

Try more like 320usd at the current exchange rate.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: haswell, ivy bridge, 3770k, 4770k, overclocking, de-lidding, delid, processor, cpu, motherboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users