Considering chaning OS to Linux

Anyone know what it's like to use Ubuntu (currently my choice, but can be swayed) instead of Windows? I'm planning on setting up a dual-boot, but the end goal is to eliminate the need for Windows entirely. The programs I use most often are:

Starcraft 2 (supposed to work well with Wine)

CS:GO (just came out on Linux)

Dota 2

MS Office (I'm okay with Open Office for Linux)

Teamspeak (checked, they have a Linux version available)

Steam (with CS:GO and Dota 2)

Netflix (not sure if I need Wine w/ Silverlight or can use an HTML5 for DRM)

Really I don't do much that's taxing, at all. I have quite a few other things that I want to do, but I just want to see if I can get by with just Linux.

I'm fine with using the console as long as it's only to get things set up. I don't want to have to be using it to continually troubleshoot.

Hell just jump in and play with it.  You can run it in a vm for awhile that way you can quickly jump back to windows for anything you need.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

@Lotus

Ubuntu, and consequently Mint, have minor problems with their latest versions... You need to set the software sources first so that you can get the programs onto your system...

I'd suggest getting Mint with the Cinnamon window manager if you want an experience close to Windows...

The change is doable, but it depends on your needs. Personally I couldn't do it for my main rig (my notebook, HTPC and server don't use windows), games, applications, every little detail can make you switch back, for example getting called by a couple of friends in skype and having issues on multiple-people calls thanks to the poopy Linux skype client; or not being able to properly configure peripherals (gaming keyboards/mouse usually don't provide Linux software support). It's the little things that set back the experience.

If your PC use is just browsing, those basic games and light general tasks, then you might adjust to it nicely.

For example, my sister only has a notebook, and I insisted her on trying different OSs until one day she ask me to please uninstall windows and leave her with the latest version of Zorin (OS), she is very happy with her system, she works with it and play light games, all compatible with it. As you can see the change is doable, but it depends on your needs.

+1 for Ubuntu and Mint, two of the more user friendly Linux variants.

Personally, I like Ubuntu better than Mint. Play around with what variant you like more.

If needed: load them up in VirtualBox to help you learn the OS, this also gives you the chance to get the 'look' and 'feel' of each distro.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I hate Ubuntu. I only recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Windows > Xubuntu > Lubuntu

Zorin OS? Looks good.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I tryed installing Ubuntu on my rmbp but trying to install the wifi drivers defeted me and I gave up

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I tryed installing Ubuntu on my rmbp but trying to install the wifi drivers defeted me and I gave up

14.04 does not have the latest broadcom wireless AC drivers by default. I believe 14.10 should fix this by including an updated broadcom wireless kernel module.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Anyone know what it's like to use Ubuntu (currently my choice, but can be swayed) instead of Windows? I'm planning on setting up a dual-boot, but the end goal is to eliminate the need for Windows entirely. The programs I use most often are:

Starcraft 2 (supposed to work well with Wine)

CS:GO (just came out on Linux)

Dota 2

MS Office (I'm okay with Open Office for Linux)

Teamspeak (checked, they have a Linux version available)

Steam (with CS:GO and Dota 2)

Netflix (not sure if I need Wine w/ Silverlight or can use an HTML5 for DRM)

Really I don't do much that's taxing, at all. I have quite a few other things that I want to do, but I just want to see if I can get by with just Linux.

I don't use netflix, but my dad does

I installed pipelight for him on Ubuntu, works just fine

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I don't use netflix, but my dad does

I installed pipelight for him on Ubuntu, works just fine

Netflix should work on Ubuntu with Chrome on HTML5 sometime this or next month. A security patch for ubuntu should be out about now. All that is left is for Netflix to validate the updates, and all should be good.

Netflix should work on Ubuntu with Chrome on HTML5 sometime this or next month. A security patch for ubuntu should be out about now. All that is left is for Netflix to validate the updates, and all should be good.

Hmm I didn't know that, thanks

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Elementary OS.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

+1 for Ubuntu, used it as my daily driver at my university. But for playing games I still use Windows.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD

I plan on switching over to Ubuntu myself once Netflix lifts their Linux user-agent filtering.

In your case basically everything you've listed should be easily possible on Ubuntu.

getting neflix to work can be hard i had it working on my linux mint 16 system but it wont run on my linux mint 17 system i do know chrome will stream it soon with HTML5 so id put on chrome beta and just wait but if you want here is how to do it with the wishy woshy work around.

1. http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html

2. http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

getting neflix to work can be hard i had it working on my linux mint 16 system but it wont run on my linux mint 17 system i do know chrome will stream it soon with HTML5 so id put on chrome beta and just wait but if you want here is how to do it with the wishy woshy work around.

1. http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa-for-netflix-desktop-app.html

2. http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/pipelight-use-silverlight-in-your-linux.html

I would use this work around instead. It allows for native HTML5 playback without WINE or Silverlight.

If you want a really nice UX then try Elementary

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Well, I went with a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. Currently posting from Ubuntu 14.04, but haven't really done anything with it yet. Currently going through updates and making sure I have all the needed drivers. Next comes Steam, the Wine and SC2.

Here are some n00b questions:

Q1: If I am using Wine, do I have to find a decent anti-virus? This really hadn't even occured to me until now.

Q2: What generally do people first do with Linux? With Win8.1, I know exactly the stuff I want, but what about Ubunut?

Q3: Does Ubuntu not have a taskbar style thing where I can see what main processes are running without having to hit alt-tab? It's kind of frustrating alt-tabbing between everything when I just want to use my mouse to quick-swap between running software.

Q4: Where is the Ubuntu version of Win8 Device Manager? I just want to double check everything.

edit: Found out Q3. those tiny little arrows were new to me. Such a tiny detail to signify so much.

edit2: I think my wi-fi keeps going out due to overheating. I have my actual card out and a tiny usb dongle from a raspberry pi in because I knew it was compatible with linux, and now it only lasts like 5 minutes then it seems to do nothing. Seriously, where are some non-generic drivers? Where is a device manager so I can see what Ubuntu recognizes and is currently using by way of drivers?

Well, I went with a dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. Currently posting from Ubuntu 14.04, but haven't really done anything with it yet. Currently going through updates and making sure I have all the needed drivers. Next comes Steam, the Wine and SC2.

Here are some n00b questions:

Q1: If I am using Wine, do I have to find a decent anti-virus? This really hadn't even occured to me until now.

Q2: What generally do people first do with Linux? With Win8.1, I know exactly the stuff I want, but what about Ubunut?

Q3: Does Ubuntu not have a taskbar style thing where I can see what main processes are running without having to hit alt-tab? It's kind of frustrating alt-tabbing between everything when I just want to use my mouse to quick-swap between running software.

Q4: Where is the Ubuntu version of Win8 Device Manager? I just want to double check everything.

edit: Found out Q3. those tiny little arrows were new to me. Such a tiny detail to signify so much.

edit2: I think my wi-fi keeps going out due to overheating. I have my actual card out and a tiny usb dongle from a raspberry pi in because I knew it was compatible with linux, and now it only lasts like 5 minutes then it seems to do nothing. Seriously, where are some non-generic drivers? Where is a device manager so I can see what Ubuntu recognizes and is currently using by way of drivers?

For Q4:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/31618/how-can-i-find-my-hardware-details

If you want something graphical, I suggest you look at hardinfo. You'll need to install it first:

sudo apt-get install hardinfo

You then just run it from the same terminal with hardinfo. I don't know that it has a menu location by default.

But it can give you slightly more information (boots, available kernels, etc) than the other options, as well as giving you similar lists of PCI and USB hardware like the first two commands.

It also provides some simple benchmarking. I think the developers aim to make it a replacement for Sandra (a popular Windows hardware information gathering tool).

It even has options to output a nice report that you can send to somebody (though it can easily be too much information).

GF1jw.png

I already found that actually. Things are BLANK on it, and there's no way that should happen. It says I have zero usb deviecs. Found network interfaces, but it still doesn't have the functionality I want of checking to see what driver is currently being used for each hardware.

Something is definitely happening, network interfaces goes blank after a while when my network connection just dies. Only way to fix it is to disable, then re-enable wifi. It's a huge pain right now.

I use Arch Linux for every thing but Dircect X gaming. It's the only thing that force me to have Windows on the side. Steam is our hope here. After trying out many distros arch have become my favorite distro. It can be a rocky start as your first distro though! But if you follow the beginners guide I bet you can do it!

If you have a extra SSD or HDD just laying around, dust it off and install Linux on that.

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs