AV receiver help

SuperShires

Im wanting to buy a AV receiver surround sound system, the Pioneer HTP072:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DO02QCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2L5YTSCNLWWPH&coliid=IXI63XDUPG1OM

Im just wondering will I be able to connect my PC to it and output it to my TV but the sound play out of the surround sound? also what would be the best way to hook it all up?

PC to receiver via HDMI and receiver to TV via optical? or optical from PC to receiver and HDMI from receiver to TV?

Also note the speakers will be mounted on my wall and I would prefer the speakers to be small and discrete rather than big bulky speakers, and the main use of this setup would be for movies

Also this will be placed in my room (fairly small room) and im just wondering should I go for something different or just buy this as the reviews seem pretty solid.

Thanks.

Im wanting to buy a AV receiver surround sound system, the Pioneer HTP072:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DO02QCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2L5YTSCNLWWPH&coliid=IXI63XDUPG1OM

Im just wondering will I be able to connect my PC to it and output it to my TV but the sound play out of the surround sound? also what would be the best way to hook it all up?

PC to receiver via HDMI and receiver to TV via optical? or optical from PC to receiver and HDMI from receiver to TV?

Also note the speakers will be mounted on my wall and I would prefer the speakers to be small and discrete rather than big bulky speakers, and the main use of this setup would be for movies

Also this will be placed in my room (fairly small room) and im just wondering should I go for something different or just buy this as the reviews seem pretty solid.

Thanks.

HDMI to receiver, the receiver then has an HDMI output that connects to the TV.

If you have an newer TV it should have ARC (Audio Return channel), meaning you wont need an optical out from your tv to the receiver when watching over the air channels, cable, etc.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

HDMI to receiver, the receiver then has an HDMI output that connects to the TV.

If you have an newer TV it should have ARC (Audio Return channel), meaning you wont need an optical out from your tv to the receiver when watching over the air channels, cable, etc.

is there any benefits to choose HDMI over optical?

is there any benefits to choose HDMI over optical?

Yes, Optical will only carry DD 5.1 DTS 5.1 and 2ch LPCM.

If you want Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD Master Audio, or full 7.1: you need HDMI

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Yes, Optical will only carry DD 5.1 DTS 5.1 and 2ch LPCM.

If you want Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD Master Audio, or full 7.1: you need HDMI

Alright thanks for the help

Alright thanks for the help

It's worth noting that with HDMI, at least on my reciever, I have to have it hooked up as a third monitor, instead of passing through one of my existing monitors, in order to be able to get TrueHD or any of the other formats, as well as anything above 96000k to pass through. It's because my monitors are 16:10, and it doesn't recognize that resolution, and so doesn't think the other monitors are capable of those sound formats or whatever. 

I hooked up a TV and mounted it over my monitors to correct the issue (I had it laying around and wasn't using it at the moment anyway) since my receiver doesn't really have much in the way of a display and shows everything onscreen instead. If I had one that had a more information-rich display, treating it like a third monitor might be a valid option. 

If you're not watching blu-rays on it, or even if you are but don't have fairly high end speakers, an optical cable may be simpler and less hassle with no real loss in sound quality, but YMMV there. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC