X99 build plan - Please spot any stupidities!

Hi everyone,

My new PC itch is getting really strong, and with a i7-2700k rig working absolutely fine (Window 7 Ultimate and OSX 10.8), I figure that it's X-99 or go home.  Devil's canyon is tempting price wise, but I just don't see the benefit when we are talking only a ~ 15% clock increase, no more cores and modest IPC gains.  While I did build the above PC from scratch, it's only the second I've ever done, and the other was about 10+ years ago with an Athlon 64, so I'm hardly a frequent tinkerer.  As it is going to cost such a large chunk of money, I wondered if anyone would mind telling me if any of my choices are really stupid!

And, yes, this is total overkill, but I want something that, if I don't have a penny to spend on my PC, will last 5 years while putting up a good fight.  That might include some CPU intensive 24/7 runs that might be for days on end, as I have done some maths problems that have required that in the past.  It also needs to be strong for gaming, video rendering, or pretty much whatever I decide to throw at it.  Budget is not unlimited, but if it gives good performance and value, I will consider it.  I also would like to eventually run OSX on it as well, but understand that this will not be possible at the moment.

I also want it to look great and have the idea of an all black and white build - but then again it doesn't matter if it looks pretty if it doesn't work.  So here goes:

Case:  Corsair 780T, white.  I do also have a soft spot for the Lian Li aluminium cases, especially after owning a OG Mac Pro, but this would save money and has decent radiator options.

Processor:  i7 5960X

Motherboard:  ASUS X99 Deluxe - am a bit worried about possible reliability and would prefer an EATX, but features are great, and matches colour scheme.

Memory:  Any 4 Dimm 32Gb kit 2400-2600Mhz, black or white heatsinks, so I have slots free for the future.

GPU:  Dual GTX 980s in SLI - Tempted to get dual Titan blacks instead, but that would be much more, and I haven't seen anything to persuade me that the double precision would matter to me.

Cooler:  Ideally the Swiftech H220x, but impossible to find in my country (UK), and I wonder if the pump would keep up with two GPUs added to the loop in future, so might plump for a H100i or the like.

SSD:  1TB Samsung 850Pro.  Willing to pay the extra if the reliability is as predicted.

HD:  Have a couple of almost new 4TB WD Greens that will keep the budget down a bit.

Monitor:  ASUS ROG swift.  As a rule, can't stand ROG stuff, but the res, quality and G-sync have won me over.

Keyboard:  Looking for something with MX blues.  Might get the K-70 RGB if not too overpriced here.

Any face palm-inducing choices in the list?

David

The I7-2700k can last you 5 more years if you just OC it properly (4.3-4.4GHz is enough) 

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

i would suggest getting a 5930K

400 bucks for 2 more cores isnt worth it, unless you do content creation, but you dont want titans, so thats out of the question

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

X99 is a waste for gaming 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

X99 is a waste for gaming 

Upgrading that CPU is a waste

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Upgrading that CPU is a waste

Much agreed

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Based on items picked and you wanting titan blacks.. You just threw things together. Stick with a 4790k setup. Unless your budget is unlimited, this is the worst step to take.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Totally agree that the 5960X would be a waste for gaming, but the point is that the 8 cores is the reason for the new build to start with.  I just figure that kitting it out to do everything is a good idea.

Didn't we just hear about DX11.3 or DX12 leveraging moar cores? 

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

i would suggest getting a 5930K

400 bucks for 2 more cores isnt worth it, unless you do content creation, but you dont want titans, so thats out of the question

Well... almost 200 bucks for more PCI-E lanes isn't exactly worth it, especially since he isn't doing 4-way SLI/CF. Why not the 5820k? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TDHpg

No OS or Optical Drive in this build

Managed to get 2400 MHz RAM in 2 DIMMS

5820K sounds like all you need. No reason to add all that extra price.

The 780T wasn't on there, but the 760T was close in price.

850W should be enough room for some overclocking for you, but you can always add extra for fun!

Were you looking at something like this?

Well... almost 200 bucks for more PCI-E lanes isn't exactly worth it, especially since he isn't doing 4-way SLI/CF. Why not the 5820k? 

It's completely about the extra cores, but gaming GPUs aren't the only use of PCIe lanes.  What if I want to add a Xeon Phi or a high-end raid card in the future?  

Damn, you're getting almost the exact same build that I have just posted about and needed some help with haha! scary. Going with the x99-ws tho.

It's completely about the extra cores, but gaming GPUs aren't the only use of PCIe lanes.  What if I want to add a Xeon Phi or a high-end raid card in the future?  

You could run the gpus at 8x/8x, then you have plenty of lanes to spare. Besides, if you were going to add a expensive raid card or whatever, you should be able to shell out for a Asus X99-E WS board w/ the plx chip. Those motherboards were made to work with expensive add-in cards.