Cooling solution for 4690k

Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

Noctua NH-D15

Dark Rock Pro 3

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

I personally recommend to stay clear of AIO's, as the possibility of it leaking is something i personally don't want in a rig which has cost a lot. Also, the coolers i mentioned are around the same price as the H100i, and perform better.

Hey guys! Growl here! was wondering if you guys got any suggestions on a nice air or water cooling solution for an I5-4690k running at around 4.7Ghz. i managed to get it clocked at 4.7GHz but my water block i have no is not worthy of even a 4.5GHz clock under full load lol

I am currently using a CoolerMaster Seidon 120v, it's good, but it's not able to keep up with the amount of heat(clocks in at just below 90c in intel's stress testing program!) the voltage is even clocked in at 1.275v for 4.5GHz, 4.7Ghz i gotta up it to 1.32v lol

Any ideas on what would be ideal for cooling this beast? preferrably i want to keep the temps at least below 80c :)

My case is a ThermalTake v3 Black Edition and my motherboard(currently) is an Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty Killer Motherboard. i do indeed plan to upgrade to a 4790k and a Asus Maximus Hero VII when i can so i want the cooling solution to be future proof for a while(at least until i get a job for some fancy custom loop stuffs) the case im kind of looking at for future is the Corsair Obisidian Series 750D. again, any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Growlith1223

EDIT: if this is the wrong section for this can anyone move it to the correct board? lol

for AIO solutions, your best bet is probably either the H100i or the Switech H220x. I personally use the H220 on my machine which is a 4690k and I have it at 4.6ghz at 1.305 volts and idle im around 25c. Load when I did aida64 for 6+hrs never saw it go above 65c.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I'm at 1.17v @4.3 on my Phanteks PH-TC14PE temps stay under 70 so I'm sure I could push it to 4.5ish 

Noctua NH-D15

Dark Rock Pro 3

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

I personally recommend to stay clear of AIO's, as the possibility of it leaking is something i personally don't want in a rig which has cost a lot. Also, the coolers i mentioned are around the same price as the H100i, and perform better.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

for AIO solutions, your best bet is probably either the H100i or the Switech H220x. I personally use the H220 on my machine which is a 4690k and I have it at 4.6ghz at 1.305 volts and idle im around 25c. Load when I did aida64 for 6+hrs never saw it go above 65c.

The H220 X is what I'm looking to upgrade, I'd also recommend, also the H105 is great as well

Budget?

If you only need some opinions, the Kraken x61 is pretty good.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Noctua NH-D15

Dark Rock Pro 3

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

The Cryorig looks really nice actually. have you had any experience with it? it looks a bit bulky(kind of expected though ha) the Noctua seems like the best bet for me however.

I've seen the h220x it actually looks very nice, i like the little window it has on it to show you the liquid actually moving lol. although that price is a little overboard. probably should have mentioned it but im kind of wanting something that's around the price of about $120-130?

The Cryorig looks really nice actually. have you had any experience with it? it looks a bit bulky(kind of expected though ha) the Noctua seems like the best bet for me however.

Not had any personal experience with it unfortunately. The company, Cryorig is relatively new to the CPU cooler market, but instead of starting off with cheap, budget friendly coolers they jumped in the high end and have made some damn fine products, the R1 Ultimate is comparable to the Noctua NH-D15. Check some reviews of it on google, it's a nice looking cooler with great performance.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Not had any personal experience with it unfortunately. The company, Cryorig is relatively new to the CPU cooler market, but instead of starting off with cheap, budget friendly coolers they jumped in the high end and have made some damn fine products, the R1 Ultimate is comparable to the Noctua NH-D15. Check some reviews of it on google, it's a nice looking cooler with great performance.

Ah, only thing im worried if i go for air cooling is the possibility of the drooping because of the massive coil lol. spacing im not worried about, i've measured the case i have and it has a fairly big amount of room for it. I might just go for the R1 ultimate and when i can i'll be going for a custom loop :) thanks for the suggestions everyone!