Netflix says it will not turn over subscriber data to CRTC

MoonSpot

Something(s) stink here, and I don't think it's just the CRTC.  I don't necessarily believe the claims that the CRTC are asking for private information, since they seem to be asking for an aggregated number of subscribers, growth rates, demographic information etc.  in order to discuss and ascertain the future direction(s) of "television" in Canada.  I happen to think that netflix is abusing the term private here, but not entirely sure as I am not "in the know" on this story as of yet.

That said, I've no idea why the CRTC can't just look at netflix's quarterly reports and do the math to get most of the information themselves.  I do understand netflix's paranoia considering that Rogers/Shaw are partnering to launch their own streaming service, and they've been in bed with CanGov sticking it to Canadians for ages with their monopolies.

It is important to note that Netflix is in Canada on a special allowance and is not afforded any rights or privileges that a company who has and is meeting the legal requirement of doing business in Canada has.  Part of this, I suspect, is the requirement that "X%" of the programing made available be Canadian content, which I suspect is the real issue netflix has with the request.

To be frank, I think both sides are full of $h!7.  There are no heroes, just PR adverts.

Anyone been following this closely?

Globe & Mail

CBC

I did not know Netflix had to Respect the law that "X"% of content on it must be Canadian. Is that why Canadian Netflix sucks?

I thought they just had issues with lisenses to stream to Canada and they had a free pass like YouTube.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

They also said they will support net neutrality, so take this with a grain of salt.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I love my country, but sometimes I wish they would remove their heads from their derrière.

Hopefully we can swap out our current leader in the upcoming election.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I did not know Netflix had to Respect the law that "X"% of content on it must be Canadian. Is that why Canadian Netflix sucks?

I thought they just had issues with lisenses to stream to Canada and they had a free pass like YouTube.

That is the stupidest law I've ever heard. 

This kind of action is taken in many countries where they don't want american products/services to dominate, but to make it a percentage severely limits the total service Netflix can provide especially when Canada isn't a major exporter of media entertainment...

Canada's "X amount of content needs to be Canadian" rule is such bullshit. 

Most Canadian content has always been pure shit. I despise subsidizing the production of TV garbage, but I have little choice in that. 

That is the stupidest law I've ever heard.

This kind of action is taken in many countries where they don't want american products/services to dominate, but to make it a percentage severely limits the total service Netflix can provide especially when Canada isn't a major exporter of media entertainment...

I know it affects TV and Radio. But dang, it sucks that Netflix has to as well.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Canada's "X amount of content needs to be Canadian" rule is such bullshit. 

Most Canadian content has always been pure shit. I despise subsidizing the production of TV garbage, but I have little choice in that. 

I was told some time ago that this was due to over-restrictive licensing policies of the States and other places.

As I was told this by a Rogers (an ISP, for those that don't know) higher-up during a high-school "workplace orientation" event, I did not buy that explanation for a single second.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Edited OP.  Originally stated that part of the issues is that neflix needs to meet a degree of Canadian content, when I meant to say that I suspect the issues are in part due to the Canadian content requirement(I myself am trying to get a handle on whats up).

Subsidizing the arts happens everywhere the states are no exception, and that's a policy animal I do not think we're well equipped to tackle.  In my view, if everyone providing entertainment media in Canada has to adhere to the same rules, then it's a level playing field from a policy perspective and the complainants about it (from providers) is more aliened with whining then a market issue.  But I am no expert.

The CBC article was recently updated with some pretty big wording changes.  Private information changed to private confidential corporate information, which I find more then a little interesting.  However CBC itself has vested interests here so....

I am still unable to find precisely what CRTC requested of netflix, unedited video of the hearing itself would be ideal.  still looking but am a bit busy/unfocused (will update if/when found).

for what it's worth...

Canadian Netflix had dexter available before us Netflix did, made my month long stay while working up there entertaining.

The crtc sits squarely in the pockets of the telcos, so, go Netflix simply by virtue of shaking things up.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

maybe @LinusTech should just syndicate the LMG programing to netflix to help them meet their Canuck content requirement.  The extra cheddar may even cover the insurance on the lambo :P