GTX 970 / 980 for Video Editing / Gaming

JamiePine

Obviously the GTX is never going to be a Quadro, but is it worth getting the 970 over the 780? I think I'm decided on Nvidia with this one too, so I would say AMD cards are off the table. I will be gaming, but mainly recording gaming. I will be editing in Adobe Premiere and After Effects and obviously doing a ton of rendering. 

Here is my build: (IGNORE the motherboard / case incompatibilities, I've been over this a thousand times here... it WILL fit. haha) http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LC4TFT

Main questions:

- If I were to get a 970 would I be able to add a quadro in the future to boost video editing capabilities?

- Is it even worth getting the 980? or perhaps two 270s in SLI? 

- If I were to have (and if it would even work) two 970s in SLI, PLUS a Quadro what sort of power supply would be recommended getting at this point? Bare in mind I can only get MAXIMUM two GPU cards now.. something like the Quadro would be added in the future.

- Is the above question even freaking worth it? 

Thanks guys :)

1) Yes it can, as I believe Edzel's PC (video editor at LTT) uses a Quadro, a Titan Black and some other GPU all in one rig.

2) Price/performance ratio? No.  2 970's in SLI?  If you want to why not :P

3) I won't get anything less than 850w for it (including the power needed for a Quadro)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I would go with a single Palit GTX 980 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NPRGUQI and maybe add one in the future if you find the need. If you plan to possibly have SLI 980's with a Quadro also then you will want at least a Corsair RM1000 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FLVIQQ8 which will allow enough power for the 3 cards plus any overclocking headroom for your whole system.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

• 4 weeks later...

@JamiePine

There seem to be some misconceptions as to the capabilities of the Quadro cards. Just so you know before you go in, a GTX970 for ~$360 will completely dominate a Quadro K2200 for ~$450. Quadro's do not offer the performance value of the consumer lines, what they do offer is validation, 10 bit color, slim form factor (up to a K4200), low heat output, and tons of reliability.

Basically what I am saying boils down to this, if you buy one 970 soon and you have a 10 bit monitor, then a Quadro would be a good choice to drive the monitor, but will not substantially increase rendering times. If you do not have a 10 bit monitor and have no intentions on buying one, a second 970 will be a much better choice.

All of this is assuming you are not planning on getting a K4200 for ~$900 or higher in the Quadro line.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my work PC, with a Quadro K4000.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 7 months later...

Enable CUDA acceleration in Adobe Premiere Pro, maybe a 780 ti or two would be a better option than a 970 or 980.