Best Headphones for Dubstep/EDM/Gaming/ect..?

N00BYSL4Y3R

Hi newbie here,
Ive been searching headphones to listen my electronic music and gaming, found out about the sennheiser hd8 Dj with their bass, metal construction and all. But I dont know, I saw people said that the hd600/650 are better and all. But im not sure if they have boomy bass or.. whatever Im trying to say... you see, I very like bass but want sound quality at the same time. I see hd8, people say they are great and all but others say hd 600 or other headphones. do they even compare with bass? Im just.. Lost xD

So I was wondering if the LTT comunity can help me to make the right choice? or even suggest some others headphones to look for?

Im mostly just listening dubstep/edm stuff on my computer so I dont care if the whatever headphone you say is good to travel or not.. and sometime I listen some heavy metal and epic orchestral stuff but I really enjoy them when I do but 90% is just pure elctronic with some vocal. not sure if its help you to know what type of listener I am but whatever xD   I just want to enjoy my music at the best I can!

All help will be greatly apreciated :D

oh and, if so, sorry if my english is not perfect :P

Edit:

One thing I forgot to mention, I like headbang my head (or whatever it is called xP) so need something that stay well in my head and be confortable for long time of use too if possible :P
(I hope Im not demanding too much...)

The real problem is that the HD600, and 650 are both 'traditionally' good headphones. Which means clear and accurate sound production is their #1 priority. They are amazing for stuff like vocals and classical, but anything really bass heavy can get a little lost. They are better headphones overall, but for what you are looking for the HD8 is probably more up your alley. The 600 and 650 might be a little better in games because they have an open design and thus have a larger soundstage, but the HD8 will most likely let you enjoy your music more.

The real problem is that the HD600, and 650 are both 'traditionally' good headphones. Which means clear and accurate sound production is their #1 priority. They are amazing for stuff like vocals and classical, but anything really bass heavy can get a little lost. They are better headphones overall, but for what you are looking for the HD8 is probably more up your alley. The 600 and 650 might be a little better in games because they have an open design and thus have a larger soundstage, but the HD8 will most likely let you enjoy your music more.

yeah, that what I was thinking about the hd 600/650 but was unsure... not really for my taste of music... Thanks for the replie

yeah, that what I was thinking about the hd 600/650 but was unsure... not really for my taste of music... Thanks for the replie

Have you given any thoughts to planar magnetic headphones? You'd get great bass and an open soundstage with something like a HiFiMan HE400 at a price below the HD650. I'd imagine it's be the best of both worlds for bass heavy music and gaming. You may want to avoid headbanging though.

Have you given any thoughts to planar magnetic headphones? You'd get great bass and an open soundstage with something like a HiFiMan HE400 at a price below the HD650. I'd imagine it's be the best of both worlds for bass heavy music and gaming. You may want to avoid headbanging though.

The problem with that is that this requires him to get a good amp/DAC if he wants to get the most out of those headphones, I think the HD8s are still his best choice.

Get a HE400. They do wonders on dubsteps. Minus point, it's a bit heavy and quite high clamping force, but may be a plus if you move your head around much.

And yeah, most cases, you'd need a separate amp for that. Get tube amps, and the HE400 will sounds better on the lower frequencies. Or, if you're conserving money, get the Lepai 2020+. It's actually a speaker amp, and will most likely fry regular headphones, but planars like HE400 can take much more current than the regular (dynamic driver) headphones. It's $25. It got a bit of a hiss, but easily drowns when a song start. 

I will check those one thanks

Get a HE400. They do wonders on dubsteps. Minus point, it's a bit heavy and quite high clamping force, but may be a plus if you move your head around much.

And yeah, most cases, you'd need a separate amp for that. Get tube amps, and the HE400 will sounds better on the lower frequencies. Or, if you're conserving money, get the Lepai 2020+. It's actually a speaker amp, and will most likely fry regular headphones, but planars like HE400 can take much more current than the regular (dynamic driver) headphones. It's $25. It got a bit of a hiss, but easily drowns when a song start. 

yeah for amp, I was thinking about the Asus xonar stx or the Objective 2, what do you think of those? will it work with the HE400?

The problem with that is that this requires him to get a good amp/DAC if he wants to get the most out of those headphones, I think the HD8s are still his best choice.

I was thinking to have  the asus xonar stx or objective 2 anyway

I don't think that necessarily true. I've run my pair of HE400s off a Galaxy S3 with decent success, but you can't go wrong with a good dac/amp to back that up   :)

yeah for amp, I was thinking about the Asus xonar stx or the Objective 2, what do you think of those? will it work with the HE400?

I'm currently running mine off a Mayflower ODAC/O2 and it's quite good, although it's very revealing, maybe too much so. I would perhaps recommend a tube amp (the Aune T1 dac/amp has a good price to performance ratio, especially with the right tubes). Just to take the edge off.

I maybe stereotyping, but I'm a bit skeptical about soundcard's amp (compared to a dedicated amp). Most middle to high end soundcards got enough voltage in it to drive high impedance headphones (as often advertised, 'can drive up to 600 ohms headphones'). With planars, the impedance is not that high, but they need a good and stable supply of currents (amperage), and that's what I'm skeptical about soundcards (can they supply the good and stable currents needed)

I had the Xonar DG (with its much acclaimed 'built-in hedphone amp'), and it gave a white flag when trying to drive the HE400. Whenever the volume is more than 50%, the sound started to 'sway' (distort), especially in songs with lots of kicks. Mobile devices are usually able to give a stable current, but not enough amount (i.e. the kicks are not tight and punchy enough)

O2 should got more than enough juice to drive HE400. I'm currently using the Aune T1 for my HE400. Like I said before, tube devices give a bit of warmer tone to HE400, so if you like warmer tone (especially in vocals), tubes are the way to go....

O2 should got more than enough juice to drive HE400. I'm currently using the Aune T1 for my HE400. Like I said before, tube devices give a bit of warmer tone to HE400, so if you like warmer tone (especially in vocals), tubes are the way to go....

How are you liking that T1 btw? What tube did you pair with it?

How are you liking that T1 btw? What tube did you pair with it?

It's good. I like this one better than the E10, which I've been using before I got the T1. It's warm, in trade of wideness (more wideness in E10). When I want to listen to wide sounds, usually I pair it with the Lepai 2020+. So T1's audio out to Lepai. Lepai got quite wide sounds, but sacrifice a bit of warmness (compared to T1's amp)

I'm using the Genalex gold lion E88CC. Ordered a different tube from ebay, but haven't arrived yet.

Ok, HE 400 are really interresting but because im not always alone when I listen to my music and dont want the sound of my gameplay to echo in my mic while talking to my friends, I might need a closed headphones more often than an open one. maybe one day for an open one... Do you have others suggestions guys?

Still be careful of using a headphone with a speaker amp. Don't wanna fry your ears or your headphones. I think the HE400 are still kindda bulky... if you're extra-sensitive to comfort, that might be a problem.

Open headphones don't leak out sound THAT much. Unless you're going 120db on your headphones you'll be fine.

The DT770 880 990 all have bass. 770 and 990 has some extra treble as well.

The Mad Dog is a nice choice - it's comfy for a planar magnetic headphone, it's got a fun sound signature. (It can rain on the bass too.) It's closed ish, it doesn't have that huge soundstage, but still. They don't let sound in, they don't let sound out. I really enjoyed it, I think it'd be a blast with your taste in music. But, you can't buy it on Amazon. Hope you live in the US. It's cheaper than HE-400 if you get both new. I don't like the look of the Mad Dog though. But I guess I'd get around that once they're on my head.  :P

y nobody try mad dawg in dis forum y

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Have a look at the NAD Viso HP50. Highly bassy if you think that's really what you're looking for.

Personally, I think the 650's are perfect for electronic music, as electronic music doesn't really need a bass boost - just accuracy - and the rolled off treble helps tame the highs a tad.

I wish more reviews of the HD8 DJ would come out, because we really can't consider Linus credible unless he does some reviews of some audiophile staples, and he's the only one who's said something good about them AFAIK.

when I listen to my music and dont want the sound of my gameplay to echo in my mic while talking to my friends

You really shouldn't worry about that. Headphones != speakers.

Denon AH-Dxxx or fostex TH-x00 headphones
king of electronic imo

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

It's good. I like this one better than the E10, which I've been using before I got the T1. It's warm, in trade of wideness (more wideness in E10). When I want to listen to wide sounds, usually I pair it with the Lepai 2020+. So T1's audio out to Lepai. Lepai got quite wide sounds, but sacrifice a bit of warmness (compared to T1's amp)

I'm using the Genalex gold lion E88CC. Ordered a different tube from ebay, but haven't arrived yet.

I can agree with that. I went from the stock 6922 to a 7308 and the first thing I noticed was an increase in soundstage. I'd like to see how your experiences are after your new tube comes in.

Ok, HE 400 are really interresting but because im not always alone when I listen to my music and dont want the sound of my gameplay to echo in my mic while talking to my friends, I might need a closed headphones more often than an open one. maybe one day for an open one... Do you have others suggestions guys?

Hah, open headphones leak sound, but not THAT much sound  :P

Still be careful of using a headphone with a speaker amp. Don't wanna fry your ears or your headphones. I think the HE400 are still kindda bulky... if you're extra-sensitive to comfort, that might be a problem.

Open headphones don't leak out sound THAT much. Unless you're going 120db on your headphones you'll be fine.

The DT770 880 990 all have bass. 770 and 990 has some extra treble as well.

The Mad Dog is a nice choice - it's comfy for a planar magnetic headphone, it's got a fun sound signature. (It can rain on the bass too.) It's closed ish, it doesn't have that huge soundstage, but still. They don't let sound in, they don't let sound out. I really enjoyed it, I think it'd be a blast with your taste in music. But, you can't buy it on Amazon. Hope you live in the US. It's cheaper than HE-400 if you get both new. I don't like the look of the Mad Dog though. But I guess I'd get around that once they're on my head.  :P

y nobody try mad dawg in dis forum y

I'm all for the Mad Dogs for affordablity, but I'm finding the Alpha Dogs to be more interesting http://mrspeakers.com/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-headphones/ I would love to try a pair out of either. The Alpha Dogs mainly for the pressure valve. Maybe I should be recommending them more, but alas I haven't tried them  :(

I can agree with that. I went from the stock 6922 to a 7308 and the first thing I noticed was an increase in soundstage. I'd like to see how your experiences are after your new tube comes in.

Hah, open headphones leak sound, but not THAT much sound  :P

I'm all for the Mad Dogs for affordablity, but I'm finding the Alpha Dogs to be more interesting http://mrspeakers.com/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-headphones/ I would love to try a pair out of either. The Alpha Dogs mainly for the pressure valve. Maybe I should be recommending them more, but alas I haven't tried them  :(

I've tried the Alpha Dogs. But the Mad Dog wins in terms of price/performance by a mile... I think of the Alpha Dogs as a neutral Mad Dog with good soundstage (considering it's closed) and a little bit more detail. The valve looks like a pain to adjust though... I'd be careful.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I've tried the Alpha Dogs. But the Mad Dog wins in terms of price/performance by a mile... I think of the Alpha Dogs as a neutral Mad Dog with good soundstage (considering it's closed) and a little bit more detail. The valve looks like a pain to adjust though... I'd be careful.

The mayflower versions are a lot cheaper though and very similar.

Ah Mayflower, don't ever change!  :lol:

Maybe so. I have not tried them myself, I cannot comment. I just remember really enjoying the Mad Dog for what it is though. The Mayflower version needs to be at a pretty high level to match the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog in my eyes.

Maybe so. I have not tried them myself, I cannot comment. I just remember really enjoying the Mad Dog for what it is though. The Mayflower version needs to be at a pretty high level to match the Mad Dog and Alpha Dog in my eyes.

The Alpha dog is a bit different if that's their closed 3D printed one. But the Mad Dog there are only so many ways to mod the same headphone. So much of the money for the Mad dogs goes into aesthetics instead of the actual sound so I doubt they sound that different. Granted I've never tried the Mad dogs.

The Alpha dog is a bit different if that's their closed 3D printed one. But the Mad Dog there are only so many ways to mod the same headphone. So much of the money for the Mad dogs goes into aesthetics instead of the actual sound so I doubt they sound that different. Granted I've never tried the Mad dogs.

How much money goes into aesthetics?  :blink:  The Mad Dogs don't look good at all. Looks like a Fostek with words printed over it, a little silly tbh.