Gaming only System Advice

Hi Guys

Ok I have some questions regarding a gaming PC, there are components I need to buy and there are components that I already have.  First I am building a Gaming PC only and it is only going to be used for Gaming. No Editing, Steaming, Photoshop or anything else (JUST GAMING).

I have £500 or $700 US dollars to spend

I Do NOT need

Power supply

Case

Hard Drive

DVD drive

Windows 7 DVD

WHAT I NEED

Motherboard

Ram

CPU

GPU

Questions I need answered

Q1. Should I go AMD or intel?

Q2. Can I combine AMD Cpu with Nvidia Graphic card?

Q3. which system would you say is better from the 3 setups below???

Q4. Dose mixing components of AMD and Nvida cause problems??? for example issues with graphic card like Physix or frame rate or etc??? 

Setup 1 ( Intel)

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor 

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

MSI Z97 PC Mate Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

GIGABYTE WindForce GeForce GTX 760 OC Rev 2.0 2048MB GDDR5

Setup 2 (AMD)

AMD (Piledriver) FX-8350 4.00GHz (4.20GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 8-Core Processor

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Dual-X OC AMD Graphics Card - 3GB

Setup 3 (AMD + Intel GPU)

AMD (Piledriver) FX-8350 4.00GHz (4.20GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 8-Core Processor

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard

MSI Twin FrozR GeForce GTX 770 OC 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Please let me know what you think and if you have any recommendations

Thanks a lot fellow gamers J

Q2. Can I combine AMD Cpu with Intel Graphic card?

Intel does not make graphics cards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Brothermoss

AMD makes cpu's apu's and graphics cards. Intel only makes CPU's and SSD's (to my knowledge).

What you do need, an SSD to cut those load times WAY the hell down. You can use and Nvidia or AMD graphics card with intel or AMD cpu's/apu's.

My suggestion is setup 1, with an SSD for at least the OS and 1 or 2 games. with an HDD for other games where you don't care about loading screens. Also with a GTX 970 if you can save up that much.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1. its AMD or nvidia intel... don't do graphics

2. you can combine a AMD cpu with an nvidia graphics card

3. probably setup 1 (i like intel cpu's)

4. It can but most likely wont 

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

With your budget, I'd say that the second setup is the best of the three and is pretty decent. The only thing I'd change is the GPU. It'd be better to get an AMD R9 285 if possible. While it may not seem better and lacks a reason for existence on first glance, it's actually pretty damn great for the budget gamer. Check the Jayztwocents video on it. Plus, among other things, you can run games with Mantle for a great performance boost.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

You'll run into problems with setup #2 and #3 because I don't think 760G chipsets support the high power demand of the FX-8350. At the very least, you'll need a bios reflash, which will be either difficult (requires a laptop and a usb disk and special utility) or next to impossible (requires a temporary compatible CPU to do the reflash)

@Brothermoss

AMD makes cpu's apu's and graphics cards. Intel only makes CPU's and SSD's (to my knowledge).

What you do need, an SSD to cut those load times WAY the hell down. You can use and Nvidia or AMD graphics card with intel or AMD cpu's/apu's.

My suggestion is setup 1, with an SSD for at least the OS and 1 or 2 games. with an HDD for other games where you don't care about loading screens. Also with a GTX 970 if you can save up that much.

Intel does not make graphics cards.

1. its AMD or nvidia intel... don't do graphics

2. you can combine a AMD cpu with an nvidia graphics card

3. probably setup 1 (i like intel cpu's)

4. It can but most likely wont 

sorry what i meant was Nvidia graphic card not Intel 

hmm 

why do you guys think setup 1 is better???

I'd go for the second setup, but it isn't Intel who produces the GeForce GPUs, Nvidia does. 

AMD makes CPUs and GPUs, though Intel only makes CPUs and Nvidia only makes GPUs (only CPU/GPU wise).

Anywho, the reason as to why I would pick the 3rd setup is because it has a decent GPU and CPU, along with some nice RAM. 

Can't comment on the motherboard as I have minimal knowledge about AMD features and boards. 

1. If you have a high budget than an Intel build would be more suited, though if it were to be very small than an AMD CPU would be a much better decision (except in competition for the G3258).

2. As I said before, no Intel GPUs. But I'm sure you mean GTX cards (GeForce), and yes, you can use an AMD CPU with a Nvidia GPU. 

4. Mixing components will not affect performance, that's if they have approximately the same amount of performance. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

hmm 

Intel in most cases have better performance and an i5 4960k is probably the best you could go before overkill for just gaming

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

hmm 

Because Intel is currently the leader in CPU's. AMD's cpu's might have faster clock speeds and more cores, but they aren't as efficient or powerful (I think). And in some upcoming games, a stronger cpu will be more important (star citizen comes to mind). Not to mention z97 motherboards being farther along technology wise than AMD's (for various reasons, at least to my knowledge, m.2., sata express, pci-e 3.0, etc...)

To be honest, a 4790k would be awesome if you could afford it, most people would say it's overkill but I tend to disagree since coming generations of games will (hopefully) use hyperthreading to a better extent, and having a stonger cpu would allow for better performance and what not.

With your budget, I'd say that the second setup is the best of the three and is pretty decent. The only thing I'd change is the GPU. It'd be better to get an AMD R9 285 if possible. While it may not seem better and lacks a reason for existence on first glance, it's actually pretty damn great for the budget gamer. Check the Jayztwocents video on it. Plus, among other things, you can run games with Mantle for a great performance boost.

You'll run into problems with setup #2 and #3 because I don't think 760G chipsets support the high power demand of the FX-8350. At the very least, you'll need a bios reflash, which will be difficult.

thanks guys for your help, it seems to me you guys think the setup 3 would be a bad idea?

:)

Because Intel is currently the leader in CPU's. AMD's cpu's might have faster clock speeds and more cores, but they aren't as efficient or powerful (I think). And in some upcoming games, a stronger cpu will be more important (star citizen comes to mind). Not to mention z97 motherboards being farther along technology wise than AMD's (for various reasons, at least to my knowledge, m.2., sata express, pci-e 3.0, etc...)

To be honest, a 4790k would be awesome if you could afford it, most people would say it's overkill but I tend to disagree since coming generations of games will (hopefully) use hyperthreading to a better extent, and having a stonger cpu would allow for better performance and what not.

Intel in most cases have better performance and an i5 4960k is probably the best you could go before overkill for just gaming

thats great thanks for your ideas, i am a student so money wise i am always on a budget :-)

Setup 3 is revolting to me. I don't like to mix and match, but hey, to each their own. Setup 2 would be great if you changed the motherboard. I didn't catch the needed BIOS update first glance.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.6 GHz Motherboard: MSI SLI Plus Krait Edition RAM: 16 GB (2x8) 1866 MHz Kingston Black Fury Series GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT S340 (Black) Storage: Intel 730 Series SSD (240 GB), Seagate Barracuda (1 TB) Display: LG 24MP55 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB for gaming (1st Player Fire Dancing for typing) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Corsair Gaming 2100 Vengence 7.1 Headset Operating System: Windows 10

thats great thanks for your ideas, i am a student so money wise i am always on a budget :-)

Yeah I know the feeling. You would be fine with a 4690k though. and z97 would be broadwell capable if you for some reason needed more in the future. Also probably have great resale value etc..

How much of a stretch is it to get these parts? I know a lot of people will disagree, but you can always turn the settings down on games to maintain FPS on cheaper hardware if you're stretching yourself too thin. Heck, I still run a core i7 920 and pair it with an R9 270.

A1. If you want to save money, go with the AMD CPU's. If u want to have a CPU that is stronger but is more costly, Intel is the way to go.

A2. Yes, AMD CPU's and Nvidia Gpu's (or the other way around) will definitely work together. I have a FX-8320 with a Gtx 770 and it work perfectly fine. The only problem with this mix match up is that if you decide to go with an AMD CPU, you will have a slower output video signal with your graphics card to your monitor because of AMD motherboards slower pci-express output. (I barely notice the difference)

A3. In my opinion, i would have to go with setup 3 because both nvidia and amd components in the build are good.

A4. No errors, i can think of.

How much of a stretch is it to get these parts? I know a lot of people will disagree, but you can always turn the settings down on games to maintain FPS on cheaper hardware if you're stretching yourself too thin. Heck, I still run a core i7 920 and pair it with an R9 270.

TBH that as much as i can afford at this time i have been delaying a build for a while so the prices would come down i even sold my ps3 to have some more cash so yea i dont think i can go about what i already have

A1. If you want to save money, go with the AMD CPU's. If u want to have a CPU that is stronger but is more costly, Intel is the way to go.

A2. Yes, AMD CPU's and Nvidia Gpu's (or the other way around) will definitely work together. I have a FX-8320 with a Gtx 770 and it work perfectly fine. The only problem with this mix match up is that if you decide to go with an AMD CPU, you will have a slower output video signal with your graphics card to your monitor because of AMD motherboards slower pci-express output. (I barely notice the difference)

A3. In my opinion, i would have to go with setup 3 because both nvidia and amd components in the build are good.

A4. No errors, i can think of.

i personally dont know why people do not combine AMD and Nvidia and have not been able to find a lot of info on it but i guess it becuse people think it would cause problems 

i like setup 3 but i am worried about possible problems and ending up some random errors and crashes no one has heard of 

also to people like me who aint got lot to spend i think its a bit risky 

:-)

just replace that 760 by gtx 970 in ur set up 1

iif it exeeds budget consider this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $644.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 13:28 EDT-0400

if ur use is gaming only ,  locked i5 with cheap mobo is way better than any overclocked amd and similar in price

just replace that 760 by gtx 970 in ur set up 1

iif it exeeds budget consider this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $644.96

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 13:28 EDT-0400

if ur use is gaming only ,  locked i5 with cheap mobo is way better than any overclocked amd and similar in price

yea thanks that pretty much the conclusion i got so far 

but i might wait till December in hopes of further price drops