Laptop under $700 with long battery life & good/decent performance?

Go to solution Solved by SirNumbers,

Unfortunately, it has to be Windows 7. Forgot to mention that. My bad. Otherwise, that'd have been the route I took anyway. 

A battery pack could fix the Ativ's life issue.

I think this Lenovo Thinkpad will work. It has a 6 cell battery (7+ hour long life), i5 mobile processor, two video displays (VGA & HDMI), 3 USB ports, comes with Windows 7 Professional, a DVD Reader/CD Writer, etc etc.

Thanks for the help though. It was a pain actually finding something that fit all the criteria.

Ohh i dont know why I had in my head that it had to be a Ultra slim laptop. Good choice anyways :)

I'm much more into desktops, and I don't use mobile devices. I have been tasked with finding a laptop for an older person with the requirements mentioned in the title. 

Basically, he will only ever have it plugged into a power source for 9 hours at a time (i.e. when he's asleep). He needs it to last all day on that, doing whatever (basic work things involving spreadsheets, databases, & the internet, plus general web browsing and whatnot). 

I figured with that budget, he can get something pretty good. Note that obviously cheaper is better and that you don't need to hit $700, but it being zippy (i.e. fast) is very much preferred while hitting the other two requirements.

Having an SSD (speed) & HDD (storage) would be preferred as well, but only if there's a way to make that manageable from his side (i.e. two different volumes won't confuse him).

Any help is appreciated since I don't know of a website or place to help reliably search for something like this, and I'm not good enough with Google to do it.

Other requirements are that it is not a 2-in-1 (tablet thing), and that it is not touch screen.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm really not a apple fan, but the Mac Book air sounds perfect for you http://amzn.to/1tVYI8F . or the Samsung Ativ but the battery life is 5.5 hours http://amzn.to/1uzuCps

Unfortunately, it has to be Windows 7. Forgot to mention that. My bad. Otherwise, that'd have been the route I took anyway. 

I think this Lenovo Thinkpad will work. It has a 6 cell battery (7+ hour long life), i5 mobile processor, two video displays (VGA & HDMI), 3 USB ports, comes with Windows 7 Professional, a DVD Reader/CD Writer, etc etc.

Thanks for the help though. It was a pain actually finding something that fit all the criteria.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ohh i dont know why I had in my head that it had to be a Ultra slim laptop. Good choice anyways :)

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles