Looking to buy First Camera HELP

Hi everyone! I'm currently trying to become an online model/fitness model.

And I've been taking pictures with my webcam and iPad only. The pictures aren't the best quality and I really need to buy a camera, but I don't know what to get.

I've done very little research on cameras and don't really know what would be a good choice.

I need something with a flip-screen to take lots of selfies, and I want it to be compact, and have excellent picture quality. I'll be mostly taking pictures outside in daylight and at the gym.

I'm not super rich, I can drop around 400-500 max on this right now and possibly upgrade to a much higher quality camera later.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT

Alright so I did some more research and looking around and learned a little more about DSLR Cameras.

I probably won't be taking many selfies in the gym with the camera. 

Instead, I want a DSLR with a flip screen still for taking selfies still but I also want to take photography pictures of myself for building up a portfolio (Either with a tripod or an assistant to photograph me, and also scenic pictures.

Something that takes excellent pictures and video (for possibly making youtube videos in the future).

I've narrowed my choices down to the Canon T3i/Canon T5i and the Nikon D5300.

Can anyone please let me know if these are good options and if so, possibly explain a little about the importance of lenses and if I also need to invest in them and what would be a good recommendation.

Still very new to photography, so to sum up I just want crystal clear images for selfies + taking regular pictures and video. Thanks!

And I've been taking pictures with my webcam and iPad only. The pictures aren't the best quality and I really need to buy a camera, but I don't know what to get.

I've done very little research on cameras and don't really know what would be a good choice.

I need something with a flip-screen to take lots of selfies, and I want it to be compact, and have excellent picture quality. I'll be mostly taking pictures outside in daylight and at the gym.

I'm not super rich, I can drop around 400-500 max on this right now and possibly upgrade to a much higher quality camera later.

For your needs I would go against getting a DSLR. They're big and bulky and generally aren't great as selfie cams. I'd recommend a Sony a5000 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=a5000 It has great features for the price and you're more likely to end up using it for other things since it's easier to take around than a DSLR.

What kind of camera are you looking for?
There's such a wide range, it'll help if you narrow it down a little. There's basically three types, DSLR, Mirrorless (more compact), and the regular digital camera.

Would something like this do you?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_n2

Or would you use it for more than just selfies?

Haha, really?

I don't think that camera would be too welcome at the gym...let alone for taking selfies...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha, really?

I don't think that camera would be too welcome at the gym...let alone for taking selfies...

Yea! I don't know about you, but I use my RED EPIC to take selfies :P

*sigh* I should really read more carefully. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Yea! I don't know about you, but I use my RED EPIC to take selfies :P

*sigh* I should really read more carefully. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Haha, no worries. The mental picture of someone trying to hold a DSLR with one hand while curling a dumbbell with the other to take a selfie was hilarious.

Just curious, why the T3i over say the D3200 (or 3x00, they put out so many so often I can't remember what number they're on)?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha, no worries. The mental picture of someone trying to hold a DSLR with one hand while curling a dumbbell with the other to take a selfie was hilarious.

Just curious, why the T3i over say the D3200 (or 3x00, they put out so many so often I can't remember what number they're on)?

The D3300 doesn't have a flip out screen where as the T3i does. T3i's kit lens is also a tad bit better in terms of quality. 

The D3300 doesn't have a flip out screen where as the T3i does. T3i's kit lens is also a tad bit better in terms of quality. 

Ah they still reserve that for the 5000 series eh?

Huge part of me wants a DSLR again. But. The need is just not there.

Do you think a compact camera or a mirrorless would be better for the OP?

I tend to think a mirrorless, while giving huge advantages in quality and options, is still pretty bulky for the intended use.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Ah they still reserve that for the 5000 series eh?

Huge part of me wants a DSLR again. But. The need is just not there.

Do you think a compact camera or a mirrorless would be better for the OP?

I tend to think a mirrorless, while giving huge advantages in quality and options, is still pretty bulky for the intended use.

Yep, 5200 and up I *think*. But not the D7X00 series.

Mirrorless cameras are getting better and better. With their electronic view finders, I think Nikon and Canon are in trouble. They aren't limited by how fast the physical shutter is. The Panasonic GH4 (A MFT Camera) shoots in a 40FPS (still photos) "burst" mode. Although there is no AF, that it stupidly fast because they aren't limited by a physical shutter. 

Anyway, that was a little off topic. Yes, MFT have their GREAT advantages (as mentioned above) although there are some disadvantages. Because it is a 2x crop factor, you have to apply that to the aperture as well as the focal length. So to get a F2.8 type experience you need to be shooting at F1.4 I believe. So you have to invest more into your gear to get certain effects. 

@GhostDoll GodSlayer Just curious, but when you say you want to take "selfies", are you talking about the typical selfies taken at arms length? Is this for your portfolio? To be honest, if I were looking for a model, I wouldn't be too impressed with a portfolio full of selfies...

On the other hand, if you want "model" or "action" shots, I would probably go to craigslist or your local college and hire a photographer. You should be able to find one in your budget.

Or, invest in a basic DSLR. You can set it up on a tripod and timer or get one of your friends to take the photo. You can be the one to set up the shot and theme.

Don't discount the used market... If you live I the USA, check out www.keh.com They have a good selection and thier "bargain" grade items would be rated "excellent" on other sites.

Good luck!

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

And I've been taking pictures with my webcam and iPad only.

tumblr_mlikjai7pB1s2yegdo1_400.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

Nikon pretty much stopped using articulating screens, since it's not there clientele basis.

@Williamchan87 The new Nikon 750 has an articulating screen and it is one of their higher end cameras.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Panasonic GF3 is a good option. Has a flip out screen, is small and has good image quality.

@Williamchan87 The new Nikon 750 has an articulating screen and it is one of their higher end cameras.

You are right it hasa articulating tilt screen, but not the articulating screen i was talking about, which can be viewable from the front of the camera so you can do selfies, but a tilting screen gives better angles where a person can view the screen, which of course is a nice compliment to the system, I'm actually looking into maybe buying the D750

I read the guide and it was very informative but it doesn't mention any specific model names, can you please be more specific, I want a professional opinion on what exactly would best suit my needs! Anything $850 and under should be in range. Thanks! (I don't understand camera specs or know very much about the features, that's why I'm asking xD) Thanks!!!

I would recommend a Sony RX100 because it delivers overall a great package for that sort of money. A decent DSLR with lens is expensive

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

It does. I use it once in a while.

EDIT

Alright so I did some more research and looking around and learned a little more about DSLR Cameras.

I probably won't be taking many selfies in the gym with the camera. 

Instead, I want a DSLR with a flip screen still for taking selfies still but I also want to take photography pictures of myself for building up a portfolio (Either with a tripod or an assistant to photograph me, and also scenic pictures.

Something that takes excellent pictures and video (for possibly making youtube videos in the future).

I've narrowed my choices down to the Canon T3i/Canon T5i and the Nikon D5300.

Can anyone please let me know if these are good options and if so, possibly explain a little about the importance of lenses and if I also need to invest in them and what would be a good recommendation.

Still very new to photography, so to sum up I just want crystal clear images for selfies + taking regular pictures and video. Thanks!

Here is the conflict, Canon has better video capabilites, but nikon might be what you ar looking for if you are taking pictures, canon jpeg engine etc tends to make the skin and environment more cool (whitish-blue), nikon on other hand makes the picture more warm (yellow-orange).