EVGA could lose out on quite a bit of money due to trying to cut costs in putting together GTX 970/980 cards

DeViLzzz

...... Except it obviously is cutting corners. Why do they not just straight up say that they did this to save costs? And the fanboyism over in that thread is unbearable.. as well as the response from the EVGA guy.

Really put me off buying any of their products to be perfectly honest.

How is it cutting corners? Were you in the conference room when they were reviewing and finalizing the cooler design? Every company is going to try and save cost where they can. But that doesn't mean they cut corners here and gave us a "cheap" lesser performing cooler. Look at the damn numbers. It performs just the same as other brands.

Like I said, no matter what, some of you will still complain. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Its not really cutting corners if it performs similarly to the competition.

How is it cutting corners? Were you in the conference room when they were reviewing and finalizing the cooler design? Every company is going to try and save cost where they can. But that doesn't mean they cut corners here and gave us a "cheap" lesser performing cooler. Look at the damn numbers. It performs just the same as other brands.

Like I said, no matter what, some of you will still complain. 

You both miss the point completely, if it performs the same that's fine but that doesn't change the fact there's an extra heatpipe in there that doesn't need to be there. That's what I mean by cutting corners.. in terms of wasting raw material.

I'm not meaning cutting corners in terms of raw performance.

I think people have the right to be concerned and condemn practices like this as it is our job to keep these companies in check, give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

You both miss the point completely, if it performs the same that's fine but that doesn't change the fact there's an extra heatpipe in there that doesn't need to be there. That's what I mean by cutting corners.. in terms of wasting raw material.

I think people have the right to be concerned and condemn practices like this as it is our job to keep these companies in check, give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

So you think they are cutting corners by giving you EXTRA heatpipes? 

So you think they are cutting corners by giving you EXTRA heatpipes? 

That don't work and increases the bill of materials cost.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It would cost much more to change the design than to use the coolers they already have. 

It costs more money for EVGA to remove that heatpipe for 970s than to just reuse the cooler. It is smarter as a business to spend what you need to and not extra.

It's called over designing. Companies do this all the time with all kinds of components to ensure it can handle what it was designed for and then some. Clearly the EVGA engineers concluded that the extra heat pipe does need to be there. Would you rather they exclude the 3rd pipe and have the cooler less capable to dissipate heat? 

EVGA has done absolutely nothing wrong here. The problem is people think they know better than the design engineers who developed and tested the product and think they have the authority to call out what they believe is a "bad design", when in fact it's a perfectly good design.

I feel bad that EVGA has to put up with people, who don't understand, picking apart their cooler design when in fact it was designed that way for a functional reason and to give those people a better product.

That don't work and increases the bill of materials cost.

Oh, you know this for sure? Having an extra heat pipe on the cooler does not increase it's ability to dissipate heat? 

It DOES work. And, obviously it does not increase the bill of materials, not by much, since the EVGA ACX variants are among the lower priced 3rd party cards on the market. 

This is nothing short of someone bringing attention to something they don't fully understand and causing a knee-jerk, sensationalized reaction from everyone else who also does not understand. People love controversy and drama, especially when it involves a well-known company. Unfortunately, people also seem to ignore the facts - even when the facts are presented to them several times over.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I never heard about that story can you give me a link to the article because i am thinking of getting a asus strix 970

Is just those 2 cards, the R9 290 and R9 290X, Asus used the very same GTX 780 cooler, and the surface making contact with the GPU was in offset with the GPU, temps were kind of poor and the lack of cooling in one side of the GPU could generate problems in the future. I saw a bunch of pics showing it back at launch, and a couple of reviews talking about it.

The rest of their cards are great, specially the Nvidia ones.

Id be moe worried about the "fan profile" tham the heatpipe after what i experienced with my 750 Ti.

The 280x has the same cooler that the 780 and 780ti used from Asus.

I doubt that as the 280x is a 7970 and uses the same cooler as a 7970 which came out back when the 580 was a thing.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."