Old HDD to new PC.

AldrinTheGreat
Go to solution Solved by AldrinTheGreat,

ok, thanks people :)

I have an old 500gb WD caviar green with os and stuffs in it from my old pc. im just wondering if i can use it for my upcomming build.

will the OS run?

No, you can use it if you format the drive. But you cannot move hard drives between computers and expect them to run like that 

@AldrinTheGreat

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You can use it for your new build yes, But you wont be able to run the OS no. You will need to reinstall windows and start fresh for the best performance. Backup your important files :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

No. Back up everything of significance from that drive (pictures, songs, documents, videos, etc.) and reinstall Windows on that drive.

If you try to run it Windows will give you the middle finger, I believe during installation it records the motherboard model and S/N (or something like that) and checks that they match on each boot.