Best M-Sata SSD for laptop?

TheGloriousLeader
Go to solution Solved by hojnikb,

Does that affect the Msata drive as well? And it said it's a firmware issue with a supposed fix on the way. And will the crucial use more power than the Samsung drive?

It affects all EVO based (and 840 vanilla aswell). Although firmware fix is planned, we don't known when its gonna come out nor what is the actual cause of this (there are lots of speculation, that TLC nand itself causes bad read speeds due to cells loosing charge faster than normal MLC cells).

So yeah. Until firmware fix comes out and proves to fix the problem, i would stay the heck away from this.

Power usage should be around the same. Unless you have a really lowpower system, ssds dont have much of an impact on battery life anyway.

I'm looking to upgrade the ssd in my laptop. It's only 128gb so I'd like to upgrade to 512gb. The two drives I've looked at are the samsung evo 840 and the crucial m550. Both are priced similarly  ($270 and $280 respectively) but I haven't been able to compare the two since there aren't very many reviews of the 840. I've been leaning more towards the Evo since I haven't had any issues with my current Samsung products. 

840 EVO.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I'd go the EVO aswell. I beleive the Crucial also has a slower write speed too.

Intel 530 could be worth a look too.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

I don't think it comes in the 500gb variant. And the 240gb model costs $40 less than the Evo. 

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

840 EVO.

Read above ^^

You too..

C'mon people, stop recommending flawed drives.

And crucial doesn't have slower write speeds, they are actually faster. EVO just uses tricks for faster burst writes, but in sustained it stays behind crucial

Does that affect the Msata drive as well? And it said it's a firmware issue with a supposed fix on the way. And will the crucial use more power than the Samsung drive?

It affects all EVO based (and 840 vanilla aswell). Although firmware fix is planned, we don't known when its gonna come out nor what is the actual cause of this (there are lots of speculation, that TLC nand itself causes bad read speeds due to cells loosing charge faster than normal MLC cells).

So yeah. Until firmware fix comes out and proves to fix the problem, i would stay the heck away from this.

Power usage should be around the same. Unless you have a really lowpower system, ssds dont have much of an impact on battery life anyway.