Intel i5 4690 overlock

Luc-Jeez

Hey guys, anybody here has a i5 4690 overclocked? 

At what ghz and with what voltages? let me know down below :D

And with what cooler?

Luc

Asus Gtx 770 I Asus Z97-A I Intel i5 4690 I Corsair CX750M I Corsair 300R I 840 EVO 250 GB I WD Blue 1 TB I Razer Deathadder I CM Storm Quickfire TK I Dell Ultrasharp U2414H.

Is yours a 4690k instead of just a 4690? If so, great, otherwise you cant overclock it like a 4690k. That K is super important for overclocking.

So 

Is yours a 4690k instead of just a 4690? If so, great, otherwise you cant overclock it like a 4690k. That K is super important for overclocking.

So you say that I can't overclock my i5 4690? I don't got a K lol.

Asus Gtx 770 I Asus Z97-A I Intel i5 4690 I Corsair CX750M I Corsair 300R I 840 EVO 250 GB I WD Blue 1 TB I Razer Deathadder I CM Storm Quickfire TK I Dell Ultrasharp U2414H.

A K means you have a unlocked multiplier. This means you could overclock the cpu without messing with your other components. Without it, the only way of overclocking is by tuning bclk, the baseclock. This will overclock EVERYTHING! From memory to qpi/uncore. There's way less headroom and is generally not recommended, especially for first time overclockers. Also tuning bclk may not really work for some cpu/mobo combinations at all. Really its a complicated mess and I'm not even sure you can do it.

Bottomline, without a k series processor, youre kind of screwed for overclocking.

So 

So you say that I can't overclock my i5 4690? I don't got a K lol.

no K no overclock :3 unless your a wizard... there might be an exception :P 

no K no overclock :3 unless your a wizard... there might be an exception :P

Exception being.. a few but not all motherboards will allow a non-declocking turbo function.

Meaning my 4690 is 3.9Ghz CONSTANT, even under load, no single core declocks at all.

Apart from that feature, not withstanding the BCLK overclock that you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've been dying to see someone do an overclock guide of the 4690k with the Gigabyte z97 bios. I still can't figure that bios out, soooooo many different options and it seems like whenever I see someone do it, their using a 4790k, and the options they have seem different from mine >.<

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just look for VCore and the Multiplier for the CPU (the thing that K-series will let you change but is fixed on non-K intel CPUs). You only have to worry about those 2 numbers on an unlocked K-series intel processor. First, you need 3 kinds of software. Realtime CPU Core temperature monitoring, something to double check that the Cores are actually running at the speed you set them to, and a stress testing program. I use CPUID for temp monitoring and CPU checking (HWMonitor and CPU-Z respectively), and Prime95 for stress testing. So first you stress test your system with Prime95 and check temperatures after a minute or two (5+ if water cooling) to see what your temps are. If they're above 70, I'd recommend stopping. Then, raise your multiplier by 1 and check stability with Prime95. If Prime95 runs for ~5 minutes and you don't crash, you're good and can keep raising your multiplier. If you crash, then raise your VCore by a smidgen (don't go above 1.275 to be really safe, 1.325 is usually safe but for sure generates really high temps and can lead to other problems). Keep doing this (raising multiplier, until crashing, raising VCore until stable) until you start hitting temps over 70-75 when stress testing on prime95. Once that happens, you need to stop. Any higher temps and you've gone too far. Some people even consider 70-75 too high, so it's always your preference, but that's usually a safe temp when under a prime95 load. The end desirable result is the highest CPU Multiplier with the lowest Vcore that's stable within acceptable temperature ranges.

edit: again, this is for K series only. You can't do this without an unlocked multiplier.

I've been dying to see someone do an overclock guide of the 4690k with the Gigabyte z97 bios. I still can't figure that bios out, soooooo many different options and it seems like whenever I see someone do it, their using a 4790k, and the options they have seem different from mine >.<

Just look for VCore and the Multiplier for the CPU (the thing that K-series will let you change but is fixed on non-K intel CPUs). You only have to worry about those 2 numbers on an unlocked K-series intel processor. First, you need 3 kinds of software. Realtime CPU Core temperature monitoring, something to double check that the Cores are actually running at the speed you set them to, and a stress testing program. I use CPUID for temp monitoring and CPU checking (HWMonitor and CPU-Z respectively), and Prime95 for stress testing. So first you stress test your system with Prime95 and check temperatures after a minute or two (5+ if water cooling) to see what your temps are. If they're above 70, I'd recommend stopping. Then, raise your multiplier by 1 and check stability with Prime95. If Prime95 runs for ~5 minutes and you don't crash, you're good and can keep raising your multiplier. If you crash, then raise your VCore by a smidgen (don't go above 1.275 to be really safe, 1.325 is usually safe but for sure generates really high temps and can lead to other problems). Keep doing this (raising multiplier, until crashing, raising VCore until stable) until you start hitting temps over 70-75 when stress testing on prime95. Once that happens, you need to stop. Any higher temps and you've gone too far. Some people even consider 70-75 too high, so it's always your preference, but that's usually a safe temp when under a prime95 load. The end desirable result is the highest CPU Multiplier with the lowest Vcore that's stable within acceptable temperature ranges.

edit: again, this is for K series only. You can't do this without an unlocked multiplier.

Guessing this answer is related to the text above this.

Cos the OP cannot OC his CPU like a K-CPU because he doesnt have one. (In case your answering OP, but didn't read his OP)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Linus overclocked Edzel's Xeon which is a not K part

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Has been already stated he could use the BCLK method, and the risks involved, in previous posts above.

Linus overclocked Edzel's Xeon which is a not K part