The BlackBerry Z10 review, about 2 years later

This is kind of a long one, took me quite a bit to write due to the ADHD, it was strong. I have this post on my website/blog, but I'd thought I'd share it with you guys on the LTT Forums. I'm not very used to writing reviews, so sorry if it isn't up to standards. It might also be a tad bit boring.

The BlackBerry Z10, the first ever BlackBerry 10 smartphone from BlackBerry, previously Research in Motion. That’s a lot of BlackBerry in a sentence. Being the first of its kind, the device is not without its quirks, but this little guy is not one that you should be taking for granted! The Z10 doesn’t pack much of a powerful punch but it is just enough to impress and perform.

I’d really like to skip the specifications of the BlackBerry Z10 but that wouldn’t be right for a review even if it’s this late right? So here you go! It’s nothing to drool on really.

• 4.2″ 720p IPS LCD Display
  • 16GB Internal (Expandable to 64GB w/ Micro SD)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon Dual Core 1.5 GHz Krait chip
  • Adreno 225
  • 1,800 mAh Battery
  • 8 MP rear facing & 2 MP front facing
  • 1080p video recording @ 30fps
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 4.0

So really, this device doesn’t have all the beef that it needs to go head to head with the big boys in terms of specification, I’ll give you that. What is important though, isn’t all about what’s under the hood, it’s the interface that runs on it. Like Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10 works surprisingly well on low specs, only difference is that it’s usable.

Let’s set the ground rules on what BlackBerry 10 is, and isn’t right now. It is a brand new iteration of BlackBerry OS, revamped from ground up to improve the overall BlackBerry experience and give it an update, cause BlackBerry OS felt like a very dated OS, even with OS7. For a brand new OS, BlackBerry 10 is actually quite good and a pleasant experience. What it isn’t is an Android device or some end all be all best OS in the world type of thing. This OS is young and obviously can’t compete with the likes of iOS and Android. BlackBerry fans, face it. Rest of the world, understand.

BlackBerryHubPOP-e1411296730810.png

BlackBerry 10 took what BlackBerry was all about and gave it a new face. Back when I was on the iPhone or any Android powered device, I was visiting apps after apps after apps to consume all my media and information and communicate. Now, with BlackBerry 10’s new BlackBerry Hub, I have all my text messages, emails, BBM, Whatsapp, notifications all in one..well hub. I can easily read the things that comes in, or if I’m in a hurry, pinch the hub to show only my important emails and messages. This hub of information saves me time when I need to consume all there is to consume. The hub is also the one stop shop when you need to contact someone, because everything goes into the hub, you can compose a text, IM or email directly from the hub. It’s just magical.

Did I mention this thing is a beast to communicate with due to its awesome keyboard? I didn’t? Well with BlackBerry 10 in place, BlackBerry has received a new upgrade or improve in terms of their touch keyboards. BlackBerry was king of their physical keyboard, I am now proud to say BlackBerry has now win my heart with the keyboard on BlackBerry 10. I have to say, my best typing experience on a touch keyboard was with SwiftKey, now it has been pushed down to my #2 keyboard with the introduction of BlackBerry 10’s new touch keyboard. Auto-correct is not like iOS’s terrible system, word prediction gets it right almost every time, and the software even remembers where you normally hit keys and moves the contact point of that key. So for example, if you often hit o instead of p and correct your mistake, it’ll slightly shift the contact point of p closer to o! This is what I call remarkable! The system of swiping up your word prediction is also very intuitive and makes one-handed use even easier.

Now, the new OS is great. Albeit with its obvious drawbacks. Although it is an OS that promotes productivity, that can be hindered by what you do. If your work depends on certain apps that are ONLY available of iOS or Android, you’re pretty much out of options. But BlackBerry has Android Runtime and has support for Android apps you say? Yes this feature exists and it is really great that I can run apps that aren’t available on BlackBerry but available on Android. However, this experience is not without its flaws. Not all Android apps run smoothly on BlackBerry 10. It is definitely run, or attempt to, but sometimes it’ll just crash or work so jittery that it’s unbearable. For the most part it is quite an ok experience, though you’ll notice you’ve hit an Android app if you feel slight lag. It isn’t 100% smooth in terms of experience but it works, some better than others.

Second drawback is with battery life on the Z10. It isn’t shall we say, a contender. It has a tiny 1,800 mAh battery, though replaceable, still puny in today’s standards. Sadly, the Z10 doesn’t make up for the tiny battery with ‘super power efficient OS’ or some other gimmicks either. It’s just plain small. I get it, first BlackBerry 10 device, first generation stuff isn’t always the greatest. However, BlackBerry has been in the game long enough to know that a first generation device that holds the ‘comeback’ responsibility must be able to compete with the norm. Processing power and other aspect is on par, just the battery. The Z10 was the turning point for BlackBerry and sadly they didn’t come in with a big enough boom. The battery will last you a day if you behave, but any sort of moderate use just drains the battery right down to 0 in half a day for me. Your mileage may vary, but #ProTip turn off WiFi when you’re outside and not using it. I’ve noticed on numerous occasions where my Z10 just kept prompting logging in to a WiFi hotspot and draining massive amounts of battery, not to mention heating up.

2012-12-28-09.46.30-300x168.jpg

This phone is awesome! It has a solid metal body! Oh wait..that’s the HTC One M8, my bad. Sadly, the Z10 comes in a plastic body. If you get the black one though, you have this weird but nice soft matte rubbery feeling back. Overall the plastic construction doesn’t disappoint. Fancy brushed aluminium finishes or foe plastic leather is not present on the Z10 but the plastic for the most part feels very solid. BlackBerry doesn’t disappoint when it comes to build quality in the past, and they certainly didn’t disappoint me this time round. The soft matte black back the Z10 has is prone to scratches given the nature of its material, but it’ll only show deep scratches, mine has a gash on the side having dropped the phone numerous times. The rest of the body will show little to no scratches as the plastic feels very solid and will only show deformations and dents if it lands on the corner. Nothing that is noticeable from the distance though, you really have to squint to notice. It doesn’t slip out of your hand easily and one-handed use is splendid. Be warned though, dropping this on asphalt or rocky surfaces might chip your sides, like it did mine.

Wow, the ADHD on this post is strong guys. ANYWAYS, in conclusion, yes finally right? OK OK, in conclusion, the BlackBerry Z10 is a fantastic device, for once, a full touch device from BlackBerry didn’t make me want to rage quit with their phenomenal keyboard and typing experience is wonderful. Though the device is not without its flaws, it is still a wonderful device to use and productivity doesn’t lack with this one. This is my review of the BlackBerry Z10 after almost 2 years of use. It has served me very well and we will see if it’s replacement can beat the satisfaction I’ve had using this wonderful device. This is my review of the BlackBerry Z10, about 2 years later. With how promising this is, and the massive improvements in the later models like the Q10 and Z30, this Canadian company surely deserves attention for whats coming next. Look out for the BlackBerry Passport, a bizarre concept that might just blow your mind, rumored to be released in the coming months. With that, I rest my case here.

It reads fine! Maybe some paragraphing would help break the text up a little more. Nice review.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Two months ago I stopped using my Curve 9320 and bought a Iphone 4.

I've never hated something so much in my entire life.

Needless to say I ordered a Q10 yesterday which should be here on Tuesday. Whilst the Z10 did interest me I hate touch screens for typing on, so the Q10 was the best option for me as it has the biggest keyboard yet made by BB but also has a touch screen.

All of the time Blackberry are still around and still make phones with keyboards on I will stick with them. My lady already has the Q10 in black and I absolutely love typing on it. I've ordered myself a white one :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I own a Z10 and I must say that I have very little complaints about it other than the screen is not too durable, I went just over a week without a screen protector and still regret that to this day due to the scratches. Not many but enough to annoy me every once in a while. The other issue is the same that Windows phones suffers from, that is lack of apps. I don't mean games, or productivity but apps that are new and interesting. Before this phone I had a tourch, it was great. Loved the keyboard, that was something that took some getting used to with the Z10. No keyboard was a major issue at first but after about 3 or 4 days, I could type okay and after over a month I was back up to speed almost.

Great review and it read fine so major issues.

i use a z10 as a work phone,and an iPhone as my everyday driver. and my personal experience is the the phone itself is great but the os just sucks imo

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Needless to say I ordered a Q10 yesterday which should be here on Tuesday. Whilst the Z10 did interest me I hate touch screens for typing on, so the Q10 was the best option for me as it has the biggest keyboard yet made by BB but also has a touch screen.

You should really give BlackBerry 10's soft keyboard a try. I was skeptical in the beginning but because it was a new thing and it was BlackBerry's reboot I just jumped on board. I was stunned at how well it performs, I even pushed SwiftKey down the list for it lol. Nothing beats BlackBerry's physical keyboards though  :lol:

i use a z10 as a work phone,and an iPhone as my everyday driver. and my personal experience is the the phone itself is great but the os just sucks imo

No doubt the OS still needs work, but with 10.2 it's come a long way for an OS that is only 2 years old. Keep in mind the OS was a complete overhaul, they started again from scratch. It's not the best but it works well enough for work. 10.3 seems very promising though!

I'm using a BlackBerry Z3 and can't be happier. The exFAT native file support is a god send for me and the rest is just icing on the cake. BlackBerry don't mess around when they make a phone to function as it should, as a communication tool first and everything else secondary

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

I own a Z10 and I must say that I have very little complaints about it other than the screen is not too durable, I went just over a week without a screen protector and still regret that to this day due to the scratches. Not many but enough to annoy me every once in a while. The other issue is the same that Windows phones suffers from, that is lack of apps. I don't mean games, or productivity but apps that are new and interesting. Before this phone I had a tourch, it was great. Loved the keyboard, that was something that took some getting used to with the Z10. No keyboard was a major issue at first but after about 3 or 4 days, I could type okay and after over a month I was back up to speed almost.

Great review and it read fine so major issues.

You can get Android apps and from my experience MOST of them works ok. Look up Snap in the CrackBerry forum or the Amazone appstore if you want the semi-official app market

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120