Update: ZEUS has been given two 3 TB WD Greens, thus putting that system

at 10.25 TB total, and once again in the actual ranking list! :D

So, two milestones:

1.) We now have sixty ranked systems!

2.) We now have a total combined storage capacity of those systems

of more than 1600 TB!

Yay! wohoo.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Update: ZEUS has been given two 3 TB WD Greens, thus putting that system

at 10.25 TB total, and once again in the actual ranking list! :D

So, two milestones:

1.) We now have sixty ranked systems!

2.) We now have a total combined storage capacity of those systems

of more than 1600 TB!

Yay! wohoo.gif

How long do you think it will take to get us to 2000 TB? Maybe you could graph that :P

quick, everyone go out and buy 8 8TB drives

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I need to update my posts at some point. I've done a lot of rearranging of hardware and have had a second box with 62TB of raw storage for some time now. It is mostly cold standby though.

How long do you think it will take to get us to 2000 TB? Maybe you could graph that :P

quick, everyone go out and buy 8 8TB drives

A timeline for this is actually on my TODO list, and if I get

that done, projections for future milestones should be feasible,

but I'm not sure how long that will take as it will be quite

a bit of work.

Also, I will take your old smaller drives if you get 8 TB ones :P

I need to update my posts at some point. I've done a lot of rearranging of hardware and have had a second box with 62TB of raw storage for some time now. It is mostly cold standby though.

Nice! Looking forward to that update then :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

So you tell me you have 132TB (+?) for private usage at home...HOW? I mean I only have 5 drives and even those cost me way too much  :huh:

So you tell me you have 132TB (+?) for private usage at home...HOW? I mean I only have 5 drives and even those cost me way too much  :huh:

The main box is actually down from 70TB to 64TB now. The 3TB disks were moved to the backup machine and I am now running 16 4TB HDDs. Total between the two builds would be 126TB.

The setup is expensive but didn't happen overnight. I almost always buy disks on sale and only ever buy the cheapest desktop drives. I'm also more of a server guy than a desktop guy so this is where all of my PC funds have been going for some time.

Nice! Looking forward to that update then :)

Finally updated

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/page-25#entry1009417

It was pretty outdated. Please update the data when you get a chance :)

Hardware:

Main

See this post.

Backup

CASE: Supermicro SC846BE26-R920B

PSU: Built-in redundant 920W

MB: Supermicro X9SCM

CPU: Xeon E3-1220

RAM: 16GB ECC

RAID CARD: LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode. Chassis backplane has built in SAS expanders.

SSD: Intel 710 100GB (OS)

HDD: Seagate 4TB x8, Hitachi 3TB x10 (62TB raw)

Software and Configuration:

Gentoo Linux

ZFS with 2 raidz2 vdevs (about 48TB usable on each box)

Usage:

ZFS, NFS, KVM hypervisor

See for details:

link

Photos:

Main above, backup pulled out below:

ecZMqI7.jpg

Backup:

SXmSW7n.jpg

vm1 ~ # zpool listNAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOTz2    56.2T  41.8T  14.5T    74%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
Edited by madcow
needed separate post for backup system for ranking purposes

- snip -

Updated. :)

I've added the backup system to your post above because I need to

have systems added on different dates in different posts for ranking

purposes. I've left your original post unchanged though, no need

to remove info, just added it to your update post.

I have updated my post as I have just installed the 4TB Seagate which is replacing the 3TB which started throwing up tons of damaged blocks.

I will update the screenshots once the drive has finished being added to the volume in a few hours.....

| Intel Core i7 7600K | ASRock H170M ITX | 16GB DDR4 | OCZ GTX1060 6GB  |
| Crucial M4 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB  | Antec True Power 650 | Fractal Design Node 304 | Coolermaster 212+ |

I have updated my post as I have just installed the 4TB Seagate which is replacing the 3TB which started throwing up tons of damaged blocks.

I will update the screenshots once the drive has finished being added to the volume in a few hours.....

Updated the list, thanks for the notification. :)

Well I don't know what on earth my Synology box was doing, as I have just done a full surface test on the drive I had to pull and it has a single bad sector! not 25k as my NAS was reporting!

| Intel Core i7 7600K | ASRock H170M ITX | 16GB DDR4 | OCZ GTX1060 6GB  |
| Crucial M4 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB  | Antec True Power 650 | Fractal Design Node 304 | Coolermaster 212+ |

Hardware
CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2
PSU: EVGA 500W
MB: Biostar A88W 

CPU: AMD A8-5500 Quad Core
HS: Xigmatek Dark Knight
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600
NIC: Built in gigabit + dual port Intel nic

HDD 1: 4X 2tb (1 WD, 1 Hitachi, 2 Samsung)
HDD 2: 4X 3tb (2 Seagate, 2 Hitachi)

Running Freenas in two seperate ZFS1 raid arrays. The 2tb hard drives array is for my movies and software. The 3tb hard drives are for my tv shows. Gives me 20tb of raw storage, 11.4tb usable.

Usage:
I use majority of this for media storage using the plex plugin to host to all of my other devices throughout my home. A small portion of this is for large software iso's so I don't have to keep downloading them or loose track of what flash drive they are on. 

Additional info:
CPU and motherboard were originally from HTPC that's why they are a weird choice for freenas.

Photo's:

Computer

screenshot of arrays

screenshot of disk

Well I don't know what on earth my Synology box was doing, as I have just done a full surface test on the drive I had to pull and it has a single bad sector! not 25k as my NAS was reporting!

Oh, the mysteries of the IT world! :D

- snip -

Sweet machine man, welcome to the list! :)

Well.... Time to get rid of those 8TB drives cuz 10TB just hit the fan! 

http://www.eweek.com/storage/hgst-includes-first-10tb-hdd-in-new-product-rollout.html

Welp, and here I had just ordered 500 8 TB drives... :P

I finally took the step up, and I'm now finally a real man xD

Hardware:

Case: Halfway home made: (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29613-home-made-case-server-build-blue-lightning/page-19#entry2938083)

CPU: I7 860 /w some Zalman cooler

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5

RAM: 4GB

PSU Corsair CX600

2x 3 Drive 5.25" Hotswap Cages

Storage:

SSD: Intel 520 240GB

HDD1: Seagate 2TB (7200RPM)

HDD2: Seagate 2TB (7200RPM)

HDD3: Seagate 2TB (7200RPM)
HDD4: WD AV-GP 3TB
HDD5: WD AV-GP 3TB
HDD6: WD AV-GP 3TB

That puts it at 15TB

Software and config:
No hardware controller, everything is done Within Server 2012 R2

Usage:
Storing random stuff like movies, TV shows, and backup

Photos:

Check this thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29613-home-made-case-server-build-blue-lightning/page-19#entry2938083

post-266150-0-10277400-1375832628_thumb.

post-3510-0-47106600-1410626987.png

post-3510-0-03440500-1410626988.png

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I finally took the step up, and I'm now finally a real man xD

- snip -

Awesome, welcome to the club! throw-happy.gif

Have an update coming very soon that should move me a bit up the rankings. Had a 3TB die on me(which means all Seagate Drives I purchased 2011 or after have died). Just bought two new 4TB Red Pros to replace it and have a small upgrade too. Moves me from 14TB total to 19TB total(which will be reconfigured to be a 17TB array with 13TB usable, as well as a 2TB drive outside of the array for downloads/misc use). Quite amazed that the 2TB Seagate Drive is still going strong after some 41000+ power on hours.

Anyway, will update my post when I finish all the FlexRAID reconfiguration required to change the parity drive and swap the drives around. I'm currently doing Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Extended Tests to check the drives before i put them in the array, and wondering if this is really necessary. What do you all do to properly test new drives before use?

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Quite amazed that the 2TB Seagate Drive is still going strong after some 41000+ power on hours.

Not bad, not bad at all.

My oldest HDD has 35,550 power on hours at the moment, and I have three

in total which are above 30,000 hours.

Looking forward to your update then. :)

Hardware

CASE: Crappy case I got for free

PSU: Corsair CS450M

MB: ASRock C2750D4I

CPU: Intel Avaton C2750

HS: Stock passive heatsink (with a fan laying across the Ram)

RAM: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered

RAID CONTROLLER: onboard Intel&Marvell

OS Drive: 16GB USB Flash Drive 

HDD: 6x 4TB WD RED WD40EFRX 

My Server is running FreeNAS. The main reason for my NAS is that I had various internal and external drives with all of my data strewn over all of them and it just frustrated me (besides not having any parity). So I decided to build myself something I can dump and organize everything on, something that has plenty of room for expansion, something with parity. I have all 6 drives in one giant ZFS Raid-Z2 array which leaves me about 16TB of usable space.

Usage:

I use the space mostly for Movies and TV Shows, but it obviously also houses my Audio Books, eBooks, Comics, Music, and anything else (ISO's, steam backups, personal photos, etc.) . I also have the Plex Media Server plugin installed, and am working on setting up rtorrent so it can function as my Torrent machine too.

Backup:

I have no backup yet. I don't have the upload to make daily updates to offsite backups, so I'm planning on making daily backups of my more manageable and important files (read everything except Movies and TV Shows) to an external HDD.

Additional info:

I love my ghetto build, but eventually I would like to build something to make it rack mountable. 

Photo's:

post-19246-0-48388300-1411844299_thumb.j

post-19246-0-04505800-1411844303_thumb.j

post-19246-0-05644800-1411844306_thumb.j

- snip -

Hehe, loving your ventilation setup, ghetto fan mounts

for the win! :D

Also, welcome to the list, awesome to have you here! :)

Additional info:
I love my ghetto build, but eventually I would like to build something to make it rack mountable. 

Almost any computer is rack mountable, for your case all you need is a shelf : http://www.racksolutions.com/rack-shelves

Pick a  shelf that works with the rack you have. Remember almost any case works as long as it can cool the CPU/drives, till it doesn't cut it then just place it on a shelf and have fun.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

@alpenwasser 

Thank you!

@IdeaStormer

I guess that would be a possibility if I wanted to keep the case. It's REALLY flimsy, and it obviously doesn't facilitate the cooling I want, hence the zip-ties :-)

I'm thinking about making something similar to Spotswood's "cases", I like the simplicity and durability.

Hardware
CASE: Fractal Design Node 804
PSU: Corsair RM450
MB: Asus H97M-E
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150
HS: Stock Intel heatsink
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 (2x 8GB)
RAID CARD: LSI MegaRAID 9266-8i
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
HDD: 4x 3TB Western Digital Red (12TB Total)

My server is running Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter.

The array is a RAID5 of the 4, 3TB drives giving me about 8.5TB of usable storage space.

Usage:
This is the backup location for all the other computers in the house. It also acts as a plain old file server, a DLNA server, a teamspeak server, a minecraft server, and some other small random tasks.

Backup:
Currently, this computer is not really backed up. The SSD with the OS backs up to the RAID 5, and all other computers in the house run weekly differential backups to it though. In the near future I plan on getting a BackBlaze subscription and seeing how I like it.

Additional info:
This thing has a really interesting fan mount to cool the RAID card down. You can check it out at the build log thread I made

Photo's:

post-124185-0-61508500-1411922035_thumb.

post-124185-0-17275100-1411922038_thumb.

For more, check out the Build Log.