Synology DS1513+

Hardware
Synology DS1513+

CPU: Atom D2700

Motherboard: Stock Synlology motherboard. 

RAM : 2 GB stock Synology memory + 4 GB  Kingston KVR16LS11/4

Case: Stock Synology enclosure. 

Storage 5 X 3TB WD Red drives. 

Software and Configuration:

The NAS is in a SHR (Synology Hybrid raid) using 5 WD Red 3TB equaling 12 TB with one disk being using as a redundancy. 

800px-Classic.vs.shr.png

Usage:
I use the storage to store all my pictures, movies and music. I also store my business files on the NAS. 

Additional info:

Nas has been upgraded to 6gb of memory. 

Photo's:

Synology Diskstation Control panel: 

fk3yv9.png

Drives listed on the computer: 

NAS Itself: 

xbwciu.jpg

(Not a great picture)

(More pictures to come as I set it up) 

@looney Please add me to the list!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE 1

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE 2

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE 3

CLICK HERE FOR UPDATE 4

I've got a 24TB Raid 6, so 18TB total storage, 16.3TB after formatting =\

Hardware

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 (Sandy Bridge)
Mobo: Asus P8B WS C206
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black
RAM: Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5450
PSU: Corsair HX850
OS Drive: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
Storage HDD: 8x 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM01, 2TB WD, 320GB WD Black
RAID: LSI MegaRaid 9260-8i w/ BBU

The primary design for my server was to function as a seedbox, as well as serve up content for viewing throughout my house. For this reason, I've got a single 2TB drive of which I store all of my downloads on. I wanted to minimize the # of writes to my array, and this seemed like a fairly easy solution. Every night or so I'll move the media files off the 2TB drive and onto the array. I had read horror stories of users who lost data on their array due to the power going out as they were writing to it. I also picked up a BBU for an extra layer of safety.

I also wanted to run some VM's and I needed a place to store the virtual disks, so I threw in an old 320GB 2.5" drive I took from one of my laptops. There's nothing of value on any of the VM's, and they mostly exist just for me to tinker with.

My motherboard has 2 gigabit intel NICs which I bonded with one of the ubuntu modules. I then setup adaptive load balancing. This helps ensure that up to two devices can stream from my server at full speed.

The array itself was pretty fun to setup. I wanted it to perform as best as possible while still give me the safety of RAID 6. Because my array would mainly be storing very large media files, I chose a large stripe size of 256KB. I initially wanted to use 512KB, but XFS doesn't support stripe sizes that large. You get the best performance when XFS is configured to match your array, so I had to fall back to 256KB. After that I then disabled the built in drive caches since I had a battery backed cache on my card, and turned off some non-essential features within XFS. With that said, I can write to my array over the network at ~120MB/s which is almost the maximum throughput you get from gig-e. I rarely ever write files to my array locally, and when I do I use the mv/cp commands which don't show you the transfer rate. So I actually don't know the maximum speed I can achieve on my array  :ph34r:

As for my drive choice...At the time I was picking out my drives I couldn't find any 3TB NAS drives for a reasonable price. So I just ended up going with the cheapest 3TB drives I could find...which just happened to be Seagate. Due to the fact the drives were going to be in a RAID 6, I wasn't too worried about the choice of drive. With that said, if a drive fails, or I expand, I'll be getting WD Reds.

I goofed when I was buying my processor, I thought I was getting a Xeon with onboard graphics...but I didn't. I didn't feel like going through the RMA process, so I put in an old GPU from one of my HTPC's. My mobo won't let me boot without a GPU connected, so this was an easy solution.

If you look at the top of the case I purchased a NORCO 5.25" to 4 x2.5" Drive Bay Adapter. This thing was a lifesaver. I was able to mount a single 3.5" drive and 2- 2.5" drives, all in one 5.25" bay. It took me almost an hour to get everything wired up with it being all packed in there. I've got some fat fingers, so it was a pain. 

I also went WAY overboard with the cooling system, I keep the server in my basement next to my modem/router, so I didn't really need all the extra cooling...but I had a discount from newegg, so I got the fans for a good price. they're almost all 140mm @ 1200 rpms. so for the massive amount of fans I have, the system still doesn't make too much noise. I can't even hear it unless I'm within 4-5 feet of it. The cpu heatsink is a CM Evo that I had in my gaming rig, before I switched to H20.

Whenever I fill up, probably in 2-3 years. I'd like to look into purchasing an SAS expander, and a 24-bay 4U case, and migrate my server into the new chasis and hookup the drives. Then I'll probably look into making my own redneck server rack for it. Long way away though.

Spoiler

SERVER---

Server IP: 10.254.6.250
Server Name: SERVER
OS name: Linux
OS Version: 3.2.0-60-generic
OS Architecture: x86_64
Driver Name: megaraid_sas
Driver Version: 00.00.06.12-rc1
Application Version: MegaRAID Storage Manager - null

HARDWARE---
Controller: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i(Bus 1,Dev 0)
Firmware Package Version:12.14.0-0167
Firmware Version: 2.130.393-2551
BBU: YES
Enclosure(s): 1
Drive(s): 8
Virtual Drive(s): 1

BBU---
Type IBBU
BBU Status: Optimal

Enclosures---
PRODUCT NAME TYPE STATUS
Backplane Sgpio OK

Drives---
CONNECTOR PRODUCT ID VENDOR ID STATE DISK TYPE CAPACITY POWER STATE
Port 0 - 3 ST3000DM0019YN1 ATA Online SATA 2.729 TB On
Port 4 - 7 ST3000DM0019YN1 ATA Online SATA 2.729 TB On
Port 4 - 7 ST3000DM0011CH1 ATA Online SATA 2.729 TB On

Virtual Drives---
TARGET ID NAME CAPACITY STATE RAID LEVEL MegaRAID RECOVERY
0 - 16.371 TB Optimal RAID 6 NO

size_zps0e1daf16.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9t6lrggybpq1z9/megaraid.PNG - this image doesn't scale correctly, so I had to hotlink it

mrbucket101--800x600_zps7e3adc77.jpeg

2014-04-11041601_zpsbdd0f658.jpg

Spoiler

2014-04-11041616_zpse99e8dfb.jpg

2014-04-11041938_zps2ccd9fdf.jpg

2014-04-11041840_zps5d8c5f57.jpg

2014-04-11042026_zps4c4901db.jpg

A small increase in total capacity by 1TB, cos I had a 2TB Hard Drive fail, and replaced it with a 3TB. Therefore total capacity is now up to 14TB.

Also, added another photo.

Have updated original post at: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/?p=657061

Hardware
CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: Seasonic G-360
MB: MSI H77MA-G43
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020
HS: Stock Intel Heatsink
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD

HDD 1: 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003
HDD 2: 3x 3TB WD Red WD30EFRX

HDD 3: 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001

Total HDD Capacity: 14 TB

Total Usable Capacity: 11 TB

My server is running Windows 8 with FlexRAID Transparent Raid(tRaid) for pooling/array. 
The array currently has the one 2TB Seagate drive and two 3TB WD Red as data drives, with the last the 3TB WD Red as a parity drive (8TB Usable, 11TB Total). The 3TB Seagate is a last drive for downloads/misc files/backups for files I need access to even when array is unavailable.

Usage:

Home Server is used for mainly music and videos. Server runs Emit Free/Air Playit Server for access on Android/iOS, and runs Plex for videos, a few devices also use the server for iTunes Libraries. Most computers access the server via SMB with no software. The server also enables a centralized place for downloading programs/videos for everyone's access. 
It’s also for backing up my computers.

Backup:
Currently no backup of entire server. However, most data is replicated in at least one other location to prevent hardware failure from causing data loss.

Additional info:
Status as of Dec 2013: Server is still fairly unstable even after a few months of experimentation. First tried unRAID for a while, but write performance wasn’t sufficient. Moved to Real Time Raid for FlexRAID, but kept having errors, to the point I was recalculating my entire parity at least once every 2 or 3 days. Moved to tRAID to see if it improves stability, but still a work in progress as tRAID is still in the RC stage. Waiting for tRAID to reach full release before I finalize the software setup.

2014 April Update: Server has been very stable past few months, had a period where it stayed on for 48 days in a row. Transparent RAID is being continuously updated, so getting small performance increases every now and then. Just had a disk failure last week, which made me realize that I had my drive labels wrong, and had to reconfigure the entire array, but should be good now.

Photo's:

post-458-0-73025700-1397323977_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-49355000-1377318832.jpg
post-458-0-37096500-1377318851.jpg

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

Here's my update, I tried to bold the changes

Hardware

CASE: Lian Li PC-A70F with Lian Li EX-23NB, EX-34NB, Sans Digital HDDRACK5, Mediasonic 4-bay Probox, and 8-bay Probox

PSU: Antec New Truepower 750w (Seasonic rebrand)

MB: Asus P8P67 Pro

CPU: Intel i7-2600k at 4.43ghz

HS: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600

HBA: Intel SASUC8i, some cheap 2x sata pcie x1 card, Mediasonic 2x esata card, Supermicro SAS2LP-MV8

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB

HDDs:  2x WD Green 4tb

5x Seagate 4tb

14x WD Green 3TB (1 added)

1x WD Red 3TB

6x WD Green 2TB

1x Seagate 2TB

1x Samsung 2TB

1x 500GB single-platter Seagate (Scratch)

Windows 7 - All JBOD. I use junctions to merge the drives, works perfectly for me. 

Usage:

I use the storage for movies and series, i have media players around the house that access it. I also have a 150/75 home line, so I can stream it to any remote location or to my mobile devices.

Backup:

What is this "backup" you speak of?

Additional info:

Most 3TB drives were bought for $110 or less and most 4TB drives were bought for $130 or less.

Photo's:

8luMswb.jpg

Pgy3Cj7.png

is it just videos that takes up all that space like what can take up  57 tbs

- slightly jealous - :D

Sorry for being so late to the party, but nice system. Is this

the unit @looney was setting up for you a while back? 

Apparently I have 64TB raw storrage , formatted and with raid its down to a mere 52TB

still have 2 trays open for drives , then I will phase out my old 2TB's

What a nice BBOD! :D

(Big Box Of Disks)

I rarely ever write files to my array locally, and when I do I use the mv/cp commands which don't show you the transfer rate. So I actually don't know the maximum speed I can achieve on my array  :ph34r:

Very cool to see somebody putting some thought into performance

tuning, and I'm actually pretty impressed. I'm still battling

the virtio drivers for performance over network at the moment,

only using about a third of the Gigabit bandwidth.

As for getting the speed of your array itself, you can try this:

pv yourinputfile > youroutputfile
pv is a utility for monitoring (and even controlling) the bandwidth

going through a UNIX/Linux pipe, but it can be used for this purpose

as well, and will show a nice progress bar as well as the numeric

values. Also, it doesn't seem to cause any significant overhead, I

have found no differences in speed between cp/mv and pv, so you should

be able to get your actual storage array performance with this.

is it just videos that takes up all that space like what can take up  57 tbs

Yeah, high-def videos take up lots of space, quickly, even in compressed

form. Also, if you do photography or videography and keep the RAW files

(pics or vids), those also eat up a ridiculous amount of space, especially

raw high-def video files.

I just read all 35 pages. Holy balls. What a couple of hours.

Hehe, I remember doing that too at some point, although back then it

wasn't 35 pages yet. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Sorry for being so late to the party, but nice system. Is this

the unit @looney was setting up for you a while back?

If you mean, I went to looney to drop of my server for a week so he could fill it up a bit, then yes. If you mean something else, then no :D.

Edit.

@looney, instead of liking this, how about adding me to the list...

How about telling me that when I'm not at work but on teamspeak...

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I asked you like 5 times...

If you mean, I went to looney to drop of my server for a week so he could fill it up a bit, then yes. If you mean something else, then no :D.

Edit.

@looney, instead of liking this, how about adding me to the list...

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. :)

Less moaning, more working! :P

Or if you don't have the time, I would be willing to update the list for you,

just let me know. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. :)

Less moaning, more working! :P

Or if you don't have the time, I would be willing to update the list for you,

just let me know. ;)

Go right ahead, you have my permission :P

(I has backup anyway :))

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Go right ahead, you have my permission :P

(I has backup anyway :))

Okidoki. :)

Added:

@Ssoele

@MrBucket101 : I've taken the liberty of editing your post a bit to make it conformant

with thread rules. I've also taken one of the pictures you linked and linked it to a smaller

version hosted on my server so that you have at least one pic in your post. If/when you

wish me to remove the image from my server and replace it with your own, please let

me know (I wanted to link the original image you have on dropbox, but it's just too large

and would be annoying for people with smaller screens ;)).

@X1XNobleX1X

@Alexdaman : Is the 64 TB box a new machine, or just an update for the server which

is already on the list? If it's a new rig, could you make it a proper post according to

thread rules so that we can add it to the list? If it's an update, I'll just edit the capacity

of the server that's already on the list. Thanks! :)

Updated:

@stevv.

@tycheleto

If anyone has been forgotten, a quick reminder would be welcomed, I or looney shall then

amend the list with your entries, should they qualify. :)

I've also added a "Total Combined Storage Capacity" counter, we are currently at 1,137 TB,

meaning we can now call ourselves truthfully the LTT Petabyte Club ™ ! :D

Okidoki. :)

Added:

@Ssoele

@MrBucket101 : I've taken the liberty of editing your post a bit to make it conformant

with thread rules. I've also taken one of the pictures you linked and linked it to a smaller

version hosted on my server so that you have at least one pic in your post. If/when you

wish me to remove the image from my server and replace it with your own, please let

me know (I wanted to link the original image you have on dropbox, but it's just too large

and would be annoying for people with smaller screens ;)).

@X1XNobleX1X

@Alexdaman : Is the 64 TB box a new machine, or just an update for the server which

is already on the list? If it's a new rig, could you make it a proper post according to

thread rules so that we can add it to the list? If it's an update, I'll just edit the capacity

of the server that's already on the list. Thanks! :)

Updated:

@stevv.

@tycheleto

If anyone has been forgotten, a quick reminder would be welcomed, I or looney shall then

amend the list with your entries, should they qualify. :)

I've also added a "Total Combined Storage Capacity" counter, we are currently at 1,137 TB,

meaning we can now call ourselves truthfully the LTT Petabyte Club ! :D

I believe I liked this post 10 time :D:P

Need to add a hardrive now, I dont want to be 10th :P

I believe I liked this post 10 time :D:P

Need to add a hardrive now, I dont want to be 10th :P

Haha, lol, you did indeed. Behold, looney's liking spree:

2014-04-15--15-34-33--looneys-liking-spr

OK, another small update. To keep track of everything, I've made a spreadsheet

with a nice little program called 'sc', which probably nobody besides me and

a handful of other people use these days.

In case any of you do, here's the source code for the current list. I have

also put a copy into the OP, to make sure I always have an up-to-date copy.

If you chose to, you could edit it with a normal text editor as well, since it's

basically just a raw text file that gets interpreted in a certain way by the sc

program.

I will be using this to keep track of the list from now on, just to make things

a bit easier and less error-prone when it comes to total storage calculation and

such. :)

Also, this is what it looks like when you open it with sc:

2014-04-15--16-46-43--10tb-showoff-list.

For the uber-nerds among you, you can read more about sc here.

# This data file was generated by the Spreadsheet Calculator.# You almost certainly shouldn't edit it.set colorformat A 17 2 0format C 6 2 0color 1 = @cyan;@[member='bLack']color 2 = @[member='Green'];@[member='bLack']color 3 = @[member='Red'];@[member='bLack']color 4 = @yellow;@[member='bLack']color B4:B45 1color B4:B45 2color A47:B47 3color A2:D2 4leftstring A0 = "LTT 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic"leftstring A2 = "USER"leftstring B2 = "CAPACITY (TB)"leftstring D2 = "SETUP"leftstring A4 = "dangerous1"let B4 = 89.5leftstring D4 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring A5 = "madcow"let B5 = 70leftstring D5 = "RAID 6 and RAIDZ2"leftstring A6 = "Ssoele"let B6 = 64leftstring D6 = "Windows Server 2012R2"leftstring A7 = "raphaex"let B7 = 60leftstring D7 = "Windows 7 (RAID5 / JBOD)"leftstring A8 = "Rudde"let B8 = 50leftstring D8 = "Debian (mdadm)"leftstring A9 = "RandomNOOB"let B9 = 48leftstring D9 = "Ubuntu (mdadm)"leftstring A10 = "Alexdaman"let B10 = 44leftstring D10 = "Windows 7 (RAID5/JBOD)"leftstring A11 = "Whaler_99"let B11 = 44leftstring D11 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"leftstring A12 = "Hellboy"let B12 = 38leftstring D12 = "Windows Server 2008R2 (RAID5)"leftstring A13 = "looney"let B13 = 37leftstring D13 = "FlexRAID RAID6"leftstring A14 = "Benjamin"let B14 = 28leftstring D14 = "FreeNAS (RAID5 & RAID6)"leftstring A15 = "MrSmoke"let B15 = 28leftstring D15 = "Ubuntu (mdadm)"leftstring A16 = "ramaddil"let B16 = 28leftstring D16 = "Windows 7 (2 x RAID5)"leftstring A17 = "d33g33"let B17 = 26leftstring D17 = "Synology NAS (RAID5)"leftstring A18 = "Hobobo"let B18 = 24leftstring D18 = "FreeNAS (RAID6)"leftstring A19 = "stevv"let B19 = 24leftstring D19 = "Windows 7 (RAID5)"leftstring A20 = "MrBucket101"let B20 = 24leftstring D20 = "Ubuntu (RAID6)"leftstring A21 = "Jarsky"let B21 = 23leftstring D21 = "Windows Server 2012 (RAID5)"leftstring A22 = "unknownkwita"let B22 = 22leftstring D22 = "Windows 8.1 (storage spaces)"leftstring A23 = "bobert"let B23 = 21leftstring D23 = "Windows 7 (FlexRAID RAID 6"leftstring A24 = "atv127"let B24 = 20.5leftstring D24 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring A25 = "falsedell"let B25 = 20leftstring D25 = "Windows 8.1 (JBOD)"leftstring A26 = "VictorB"let B26 = 19leftstring D26 = "ZFSguru (RAIDZ2)"leftstring A27 = "andi1455"let B27 = 18leftstring D27 = "Windows Server 2008R2 (LSI RAID6)"leftstring A28 = "mb2k"let B28 = 18leftstring D28 = "Windows Home Server 2011"leftstring A29 = "Eric1024"let B29 = 18leftstring D29 = "Linux Mint, ZFS (RAIDZ2)"leftstring A30 = "cushy91"let B30 = 18leftstring D30 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"leftstring A31 = "alpenwasser"let B31 = 17leftstring D31 = "Arch Linux, ZFS (RAID 50 w/ ZFS, Build of the Week)"leftstring A32 = "Hoppa"let B32 = 16leftstring D32 = "FreeNAS (RAID10)"leftstring A33 = "Chris230291"let B33 = 16leftstring D33 = "FreeNAS (RAID5)"leftstring A34 = "swizzle90"let B34 = 16leftstring D34 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"leftstring A35 = "Appleby"let B35 = 15leftstring D35 = "Windows Server 2012 (RAID5 & RAID 0)"leftstring A36 = "Jimsah87"let B36 = 15leftstring D36 = "Windows 8 (RAID5, Build of the Week)"leftstring A37 = "AntarticCrash"let B37 = 15leftstring D37 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring A38 = "Algoat"let B38 = 15leftstring D38 = "FreeNAS 8.3 (RAID5)"leftstring A39 = "Hellboy"let B39 = 15leftstring D39 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring A40 = "X1XNobleX1X"let B40 = 15leftstring D40 = "Synology NAS (Synology Hybrid RAID)"leftstring A41 = "tycheleto"let B41 = 14leftstring D41 = "Windows 8"leftstring A42 = "Patrick3D"let B42 = 12leftstring D42 = "Ubuntu 13.10"leftstring A43 = "dalekphalm"let B43 = 12leftstring D43 = "Windows Home Server 2011 (FlexRAID RAID 5)"leftstring A44 = "5lay3r"let B44 = 10leftstring D44 = "Windows 8 (Storage Spaces)"leftstring A45 = "Hellboy"let B45 = 10leftstring D45 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring A47 = "SUM"let B47 = @sum(B4:B45)goto A0 A0

OK, another small update. To keep track of everything, I've made a spreadsheet

with a nice little program called 'sc', which probably nobody besides me and

a handful of other people use these days.

In case any of you do, here's the source code for the current list. I have

also put a copy into the OP, to make sure I always have an up-to-date copy.

If you chose to, you could edit it with a normal text editor as well, since it's

basically just a raw text file that gets interpreted in a certain way by the sc

program.

I will be using this to keep track of the list from now on, just to make things

a bit easier and less error-prone when it comes to total storage calculation and

such. :)

Also, this is what it looks like when you open it with sc:

-snip-

Maybe also add the rank number? 

having it say 13 when your 10 looks weird :P

PS, When I'm back home ill give you 100 likes as a reward :D

Maybe also add the rank number? 

having it say 13 when your 10 looks weird :P

PS, When I'm back home ill give you 100 likes as a reward :D

Done!

2014-04-15--17-11-49--10tb-showoff-list.

I'll be waiting for those likes. :P

EDIT:

I just had a thought: I might be able to write a script that auto-generates

the list code for the forum post from this file. Would make things a bit easier

(well, at least for me :P ), I noticed that editing the list on the forum is

a bit... unpractical.

EDIT 2:

I was curious... sc also allows plaintext exports of what you see on the screen:

# This data file was generated by the Spreadsheet Calculator.# You almost certainly shouldn't edit it.set colorformat A 7 0 0format B 3 2 0format C 17 2 0format D 10 1 0format E 4 2 0color 1 = @cyan;@[member='bLack']color 2 = @[member='Green'];@[member='bLack']color 3 = @[member='Red'];@[member='bLack']color 4 = @yellow;@[member='bLack']color D4:D45 1color D4:D45 2color A47:D47 3color A2:F2 4leftstring A0 = "LTT 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic"leftstring A2 = "RANK"leftstring C2 = "USER"leftstring D2 = "CAPACITY (TB)"leftstring F2 = "SETUP"let A4 = 1leftstring C4 = "dangerous1"let D4 = 89.5leftstring F4 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"let A5 = 2leftstring C5 = "madcow"let D5 = 70leftstring F5 = "RAID 6 and RAIDZ2"let A6 = 3leftstring C6 = "Ssoele"let D6 = 64leftstring F6 = "Windows Server 2012R2"let A7 = 4leftstring C7 = "raphaex"let D7 = 60leftstring F7 = "Windows 7 (RAID5 / JBOD)"let A8 = 5leftstring C8 = "Rudde"let D8 = 50leftstring F8 = "Debian (mdadm)"let A9 = 6leftstring C9 = "RandomNOOB"let D9 = 48leftstring F9 = "Ubuntu (mdadm)"let A10 = 7leftstring C10 = "Alexdaman"let D10 = 44leftstring F10 = "Windows 7 (RAID5/JBOD)"let A11 = 8leftstring C11 = "Whaler_99"let D11 = 44leftstring F11 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"let A12 = 9leftstring C12 = "Hellboy"let D12 = 38leftstring F12 = "Windows Server 2008R2 (RAID5)"let A13 = 10leftstring C13 = "looney"let D13 = 37leftstring F13 = "FlexRAID RAID6"let A14 = 11leftstring C14 = "Benjamin"let D14 = 28leftstring F14 = "FreeNAS (RAID5 & RAID6)"let A15 = 12leftstring C15 = "MrSmoke"let D15 = 28leftstring F15 = "Ubuntu (mdadm)"let A16 = 13leftstring C16 = "ramaddil"let D16 = 28leftstring F16 = "Windows 7 (2 x RAID5)"let A17 = 14leftstring C17 = "d33g33"let D17 = 26leftstring F17 = "Synology NAS (RAID5)"let A18 = 15leftstring C18 = "Hobobo"let D18 = 24leftstring F18 = "FreeNAS (RAID6)"let A19 = 16leftstring C19 = "stevv"let D19 = 24leftstring F19 = "Windows 7 (RAID5)"let A20 = 17leftstring C20 = "MrBucket101"let D20 = 24leftstring F20 = "Ubuntu (RAID6)"let A21 = 18leftstring C21 = "Jarsky"let D21 = 23leftstring F21 = "Windows Server 2012 (RAID5)"let A22 = 19leftstring C22 = "unknownkwita"let D22 = 22leftstring F22 = "Windows 8.1 (storage spaces)"let A23 = 20leftstring C23 = "bobert"let D23 = 21leftstring F23 = "Windows 7 (FlexRAID RAID 6"let A24 = 21leftstring C24 = "atv127"let D24 = 20.5leftstring F24 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"let A25 = 22leftstring C25 = "falsedell"let D25 = 20leftstring F25 = "Windows 8.1 (JBOD)"let A26 = 23leftstring C26 = "VictorB"let D26 = 19leftstring F26 = "ZFSguru (RAIDZ2)"let A27 = 24leftstring C27 = "andi1455"let D27 = 18leftstring F27 = "Windows Server 2008R2 (LSI RAID6)"let A28 = 25leftstring C28 = "mb2k"let D28 = 18leftstring F28 = "Windows Home Server 2011"let A29 = 26leftstring C29 = "Eric1024"let D29 = 18leftstring F29 = "Linux Mint, ZFS (RAIDZ2)"let A30 = 27leftstring C30 = "cushy91"let D30 = 18leftstring F30 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"let A31 = 28leftstring C31 = "alpenwasser"let D31 = 17leftstring F31 = "Arch Linux, ZFS (RAID 50 w/ ZFS, Build of the Week)"let A32 = 29leftstring C32 = "Hoppa"let D32 = 16leftstring F32 = "FreeNAS (RAID10)"let A33 = 30leftstring C33 = "Chris230291"let D33 = 16leftstring F33 = "FreeNAS (RAID5)"let A34 = 31leftstring C34 = "swizzle90"let D34 = 16leftstring F34 = "UnRAID (RAID5)"let A35 = 32leftstring C35 = "Appleby"let D35 = 15leftstring F35 = "Windows Server 2012 (RAID5 & RAID 0)"let A36 = 33leftstring C36 = "Jimsah87"let D36 = 15leftstring F36 = "Windows 8 (RAID5, Build of the Week)"let A37 = 34leftstring C37 = "AntarticCrash"let D37 = 15leftstring F37 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"let A38 = 35leftstring C38 = "Algoat"let D38 = 15leftstring F38 = "FreeNAS 8.3 (RAID5)"let A39 = 36leftstring C39 = "Hellboy"let D39 = 15leftstring F39 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"let A40 = 37leftstring C40 = "X1XNobleX1X"let D40 = 15leftstring F40 = "Synology NAS (Synology Hybrid RAID)"let A41 = 38leftstring C41 = "tycheleto"let D41 = 14leftstring F41 = "Windows 8"let A42 = 39leftstring C42 = "Patrick3D"let D42 = 12leftstring F42 = "Ubuntu 13.10"let A43 = 40leftstring C43 = "dalekphalm"let D43 = 12leftstring F43 = "Windows Home Server 2011 (FlexRAID RAID 5)"let A44 = 41leftstring C44 = "5lay3r"let D44 = 10leftstring F44 = "Windows 8 (Storage Spaces)"let A45 = 42leftstring C45 = "Hellboy"let D45 = 10leftstring F45 = "Windows 7 (JBOD)"leftstring C47 = "SUM"let D47 = @sum(D4:D45)goto A0 A0
LTT 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic      RANK      USER             CAPACITY (TB) SETUP           1   dangerous1             89.5    Windows 7 (JBOD)          2   madcow                 70.0    RAID 6 and RAIDZ2         3   Ssoele                 64.0    Windows Server 2012R2               4   raphaex                60.0    Windows 7 (RAID5 / JBOD)            5   Rudde                  50.0    Debian (mdadm)            6   RandomNOOB             48.0    Ubuntu (mdadm)            7   Alexdaman              44.0    Windows 7 (RAID5/JBOD)              8   Whaler_99              44.0    UnRAID (RAID5)            9   Hellboy                38.0    Windows Server 2008R2 (RAID5)      10   looney                 37.0    FlexRAID RAID6           11   Benjamin               28.0    FreeNAS (RAID5 & RAID6)            12   MrSmoke                28.0    Ubuntu (mdadm)           13   ramaddil               28.0    Windows 7 (2 x RAID5)              14   d33g33                 26.0    Synology NAS (RAID5)     15   Hobobo                 24.0    FreeNAS (RAID6)          16   stevv                  24.0    Windows 7 (RAID5)        17   MrBucket101            24.0    Ubuntu (RAID6)           18   Jarsky                 23.0    Windows Server 2012 (RAID5)        19   unknownkwita           22.0    Windows 8.1 (storage spaces)       20   bobert                 21.0    Windows 7 (FlexRAID RAID 6         21   atv127                 20.5    Windows 7 (JBOD)         22   falsedell              20.0    Windows 8.1 (JBOD)       23   VictorB                19.0    ZFSguru (RAIDZ2)         24   andi1455               18.0    Windows Server 2008R2 (LSI RAID6)            25   mb2k                   18.0    Windows Home Server 2011           26   Eric1024               18.0    Linux Mint, ZFS (RAIDZ2)           27   cushy91                18.0    UnRAID (RAID5)           28   alpenwasser            17.0    Arch Linux, ZFS (RAID 50 w/ ZFS, Build of the Week)              29   Hoppa                  16.0    FreeNAS (RAID10)         30   Chris230291            16.0    FreeNAS (RAID5)          31   swizzle90              16.0    UnRAID (RAID5)           32   Appleby                15.0    Windows Server 2012 (RAID5 & RAID 0)         33   Jimsah87               15.0    Windows 8 (RAID5, Build of the Week)         34   AntarticCrash          15.0    Windows 7 (JBOD)         35   Algoat                 15.0    FreeNAS 8.3 (RAID5)      36   Hellboy                15.0    Windows 7 (JBOD)         37   X1XNobleX1X            15.0    Synology NAS (Synology Hybrid RAID)          38   tycheleto              14.0    Windows 8      39   Patrick3D              12.0    Ubuntu 13.10             40   dalekphalm             12.0    Windows Home Server 2011 (FlexRAID RAID 5)             41   5lay3r                 10.0    Windows 8 (Storage Spaces)         42   Hellboy                10.0    Windows 7 (JBOD)              SUM                  1137.0

EDIT:

I just had a thought: I might be able to write a script that auto-generates

the list code for the forum post from this file. Would make things a bit easier

(well, at least for me :P ), I noticed that editing the list on the forum is

a bit... unpractical.

Exactly my feeling for forums in general... not very good for "colaborated document" or they should have some kind of  wiki plugin.

The SC plain text export looks pretty good.  Better than the html, the no links.

I couldn't help it... so I created this... 

My Rigs (past and present)

- snip -

Haha, you got a little bored, didn't you? ;)

But seriously, nice work, and thanks! I actually considered making a Googledoc,

but then I noticed that I didn't have Googledrive account, plus I like working

in the terminal, so I went with sc instead.

You have given me an idea though, need to do some experimenting and testing. :)

This is the only thing I miss about VB: BBCode Tables!

The original 10TB topic from the VB days had bbcode tables to organize everything, sadly thats not supported on IPB :(

The original 10TB topic from the VB days had bbcode tables to organize everything, sadly thats not supported on IPB :(

On the upside: whatever is supported actually works in IPB :D

@alpenwasser

its in one server  :P

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

- being helpful -

Okidoki, I have now (with looney's permission, of course ;)), rearranged the

thread's beginning a bit. Opening post is rules and builds that didn't make

the list.

Second post is the actual list.

Third post is looney's server (was second post before).

I had copied stevv's google doc and tried to work with that, but there was

always something slightly off about the end result that didn't quite sit

right with me, so in the end I wrote a Perl script into which we plug the

data and which then generates the output you see in the list now.

It's not set in stone yet, there may still be some changes though, not sure

yet.

In any case, even though I didn't end up basing the list on a google doc,

many thanks to Stevv nonetheless. You compiling the data into one neat

document actually made things quite a bit easier for me because I didn't

need to go check the forum for it, but could more or less copy-paste into

my script (well, at least that part, it still ended up being far larger

than I'd hoped it would be, it's a bit ridiculous TBH, but hey, I like

coding Perl and I need the learning experience :D ). 

@alpenwasser

its in one server  :P

Noted, updated your entry to 64 TB. :)