Noctua PPC Noise

Baowwedx

Are they really that loud??? I just ordered 2 PPC NF12 and 3 NF14. The reason i ask this i s because I've been looking at videos and people are saying that they are kinda loud, so if they are what RPM should i set them at for them to be silent. 

Are they really that loud??? I just ordered 2 PPC NF12 and 3 NF14. The reason i ask this i s because I've been looking at videos and people are saying that they are kinda loud, so if they are what RPM should i set them at for them to be silent. 

2000 RPM or 3000 RPM?

The 3000 sounds like a jet engine taking off, and I had to turn it down as it's just too loud.

2000 is still unbearable, for me at least. 

I like <1500 RPM. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The NFA14 is terribly loud at 12v and to a lesser extent at 7v. However at 5v it's very quiet. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

2000 RPM or 3000 RPM?

The 3000 sounds like a jet engine taking off, and I had to turn it down as it's just too loud.

2000 is still unbearable, for me at least. 

I like <1500 RPM. 

well i bought them both at 2000 RPM with PWM, so if I'm gaming would they still go loud?

The NFA14 is terribly loud at 12v and to a lesser extent at 7v. However at 5v it's very quiet. 

So when I'm gaming what Voltage would they be at, I'm sorry i dont really get the Volt measurements for fans, i just somewhat understand RPM 

well i bought them both at 2000 RPM with PWM, so if I'm gaming would they still go loud?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it would run at 2000RPM unless turned down in the bios/software.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

So when I'm gaming what Voltage would they be at, I'm sorry i dont really get the Volt measurements for fans, i just somewhat understand RPM 

You have complete control over their rpm, so you can limit their rotation to whatever you want. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it would run at 2000RPM unless turned down in the bios/software.

So let say, what RPM should i run if my PC is idle to be silent?

You have complete control over their rpm, so you can limit their rotation to whatever you want. 

that very true, i just want it to be cooled and silent, so i only hear it when i put really close to the case

Nothing moving is silent. If you want it as quiet as possible, lower the fan speeds as much as you can while keeping acceptable temps. If quiet was your goal, getting Industrial Noctuas was probably not the best idea when they are essentially higher rpm versions of the normal Noctua fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nothing moving is silent. If you want it as quiet as possible, lower the fan speeds as much as you can while keeping acceptable temps. If quiet was your goal, getting Industrial Noctuas was probably not the best idea when they are essentially higher rpm versions of the normal Noctua fans. 

Yeah, i kinda second guess myself when i bought them, you see the reason i went with these is mostly cause Linus seems to really like them and Noctua in general, and seeing that their best fans are now black, it was just a must, so i just did it for the shallowest reason so yeah, I'll try to get the RPM to my liking, thanks for the advice 

At full speed or 12V, they will be loud, because they're made for.. Industrial use. But you can easily undervolt them to make them a lot quieter (in-line resistors or fan controllers).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

As low as possible. I have mine at around 600 I think and my case fans stay like that all the time. When under load the only fan that speeds up is my CPU fan.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

noiseblockers are way more silent, and different tone

dont buy industrials for pc use lol, cus you have to run them at low speed anyway

As low as possible. I have mine at around 600 I think and my case fans stay like that all the time. When under load the only fan that speeds up is my CPU fan.

alrighty, thanks for the info 

noiseblockers are way more silent, and different tone

dont buy industrials for pc use lol, cus you have to run them at low speed anyway

The 120mm industrial noctuas cost the same price as standard 120mm ones in Australia. Some people prefer their appearance.