Another Star Citizen Question - Performance

Smash.Mac

OK so I've been (trying) to play a bit and the game runs pretty poorly. With Graphics on low, the game will run fine for a bit, then freeze up, often for at least 30 seconds. The cycle continues. Is this just the game glitching because its beta, or is my computer just not good enough?

Specs:

8GB 1333MHz RAM

2GB HD7790

FX-6300

My computer meets the minimum requirements.

It's not officially released. Expect stuff like that.

It's beta isn't it?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

OK so I've been (trying) to play a bit and the game runs pretty poorly. With Graphics on low, the game will run fine for a bit, then freeze up, often for at least 30 seconds. The cycle continues. Is this just the game glitching because its beta, or is my computer just not good enough?

Specs:

8GB 1333MHz RAM

2GB HD7790

FX-6300

My computer meets the minimum requirements.

It's probably both, since it's in beta, it's poorly optimized.

Also, it's a really demanding game and I don't think a 7790 can cut it.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Your computer doesn't meet the minimum spec requirement I believe.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

OK. I'm planning on getting a GTX970 soon so that'll be nice :D

That CPU will bottleneck a 970.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Remember that Star Citizen is in pre-alpha, not in beta ;)

Expect these issues to happen, although I don't think a 7790 will be enough.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Remember that Star Citizen is in pre-alpha, not in beta ;)

Expect these issues to happen, although I don't think a 7790 will be enough.

Technically its pre- pre alpha because not all of the modules are able to be put together for the alpha/pre alpha.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Not in Star Citizen, which'll use 4 cores and distribute the load. If the application was only one- or two-threaded there would be a bottleneck. Which is most games, but not Star Citizen.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The listed minimum spec is very vague at the moment because no one knows what the actual spec will end up being.

As far as I know a high-end everything with eleven CPUs and 27 top-of-the-line GPUs should do the trick.

Not in Star Citizen, which'll use 4 cores and distribute the load. If the application was only one- or two-threaded there would be a bottleneck. Which is most games, but not Star Citizen.

Actually, AMD CPUs use modules not cores. That is actually a tri core CPU with 6 modules. So yeah, it will definitely bottleneck in Star Citizen. More cores doesn't mean it won't bottleneck something like a GTX 970 anyway, the CPU is simply not fast enough to support the GTX 970's immense powah.

Simply put, AMD use a misleading marketing technique that would be similar to intel if intel advertised their 8 core i7s as 16 cores. When in fact they don't because they're honest and they know it's 8 core and 16 threads. AMD fool noobs all the time.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Actually, AMD CPUs use modules not cores. That is actually a tri core CPU with 6 modules. So yeah, it will definitely bottleneck in Star Citizen. More cores doesn't mean it won't bottleneck something like a GTX 970 anyway, the CPU is simply not fast enough to support the GTX 970's immense powah.

Simply put, AMD use a misleading marketing technique that would be similar to intel if intel advertised their 8 core i7s as 16 cores. When in fact they don't because they're honest and they know it's 8 core and 16 threads. AMD fool noobs all the time.

You don't understand what modules are. They are 2 integer units and 1 floating point unit. Most game threads are integer math, leaving 6 threads on an FX-6300 for Star Citizen. (In fact they are looking into the possibility of tapping into 6-8 threads, so if they succeed, the FX-6300 could be almost ideal for SC)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You don't understand what modules are. They are 2 integer units and 1 floating point unit. Most game threads are integer math, leaving 6 threads on an FX-6300 for Star Citizen. (In fact they are looking into the possibility of tapping into 6-8 threads, so if they succeed, the FX-6300 could be almost ideal for SC)

Yeah, apart from the fact intel CPUs still out perform AMD cpus in every way and will continue to do so.

Yeah, apart from the fact intel CPUs still out perform AMD cpus in every way and will continue to do so.

how is this relevant to you misunderstanding modules? Yes, an FX 6300 has 3 modules, and as he said, that's 2 integer units and 1 floating point unit. He's also correct about games using integer, not floating point, calculations.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This isn't about that, this is about how an FX-6300 won't bottleneck a GTX 970 in SC (but will in most other games)

With the kind of load Star Citizen puts on graphics hardware, especially at this point in the alpha, I think alleged "CPU bottlenecks" are the last thing anyone should be concerned about.

In general I don't think having a poor CPU is a particularly good reason to get an equally poor GPU. Performance might be poor in games with outsized CPU workloads, but a crappy GPU will just make sure your performance is poor in all games. Address the actual problem: get a better CPU.

For the record, the HD 7790 is faster than the GTX 460 and HD 5850 that are listed as the minimum requirements. If you can't run it sufficiently at low, I'd chalk it up to pre-alpha being pre-alpha. They have said they expect system requirements to go down later on.