Hey guys, Im working on my first build that I am planning on doing over my holiday break. I have all the hardware picked out but my main issue is finding the best legal option for getting an OS. I was wondering if i was to purchase one of these:

http://gvsu.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingsOfMajorVersionList.aspx?pmv=b01abaf7-4588-de11-8cd1-0030487d8897&cmi_mnuMain=84d81ab5-bc38-dd11-abb7-0030485a6b08&cmi_mnuMain_child=8fb89d35-b838-dd11-abb7-0030485a6b08

if it would work for a full install or if i would need an old product key to make this work. if not, what would be my best way to get a copy of windows thats not going to cost me a ton or will i just have to suck up the $100 price tag and buy it. I am not at all interested in using an illegal copy of windows.

Thanks, Tim

If you can buy it then go for it. I believe this will only be a product key so you will have to download a Windows 7 ISO which is legal. This is where you can dowload them from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ I would recommend getting a USB key and then extracting the ISO on to that and using that to install. @rubdownhero

Quote me to get a reply!

my university also has these, but they are only upgrades so you will need to have a version of windows already installed,

my university actually gives any student one free OS upgrade of your choice, 7 pro and 8.1 pro are available. I'll probably use mine for windows 9 when it gets released. gotta stay up to date when you're a Computer Engineering major.

my university also has these, but they are only upgrades so you will need to have a version of windows already installed,

my university actually gives any student one free OS upgrade of your choice, 7 pro and 8.1 pro are available. I'll probably use mine for windows 9 when it gets released. gotta stay up to date when you're a Computer Engineering major.

ok, but do you think it would work if i used a usb boot drive with a copy of windows 7 on it, not use a key code for standard windows 7, but went directly to update that to windows 7 ultimate and use the key for that instead? so basically i boot with a usb and update right away with the on the hub key.

I don't know. Maybe if you installed a version of windows but did not install a key, then did the upgrade it would work but I've never tried it