HDD problems?

RoyB

I just bought a new WD blue harddrive 7200rpm to upgrade my on that I think was 3200rpms I'm new to upgrading and stuff but when I try to use this one it says it can't find a disk to boot I used a windows 7 USB download to try to get my Windows 7 on it but it keeps saying the same thing. So am I having a ID-10T error or do I have to have a SATA cable to use them?

You're supposed to use the Windows 7 USB download tool to put the Windows 7 installation files onto a USB, boot from that, and then install Windows 7 from your USB onto your HDD. You don't use the tool directly on your HDD - it doesn't work like that.

Other than that, make sure you have all the correct cables plugged in (SATA and SATA power). Check that the disk shows up in your BIOS as an option to boot from. If it doesn't it likely means you didn't connect your cables correctly or there might be a really, really slim chance that your drive is dead (but I doubt that since it's new).

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I just bought a new WD blue harddrive 7200rpm to upgrade my on that I think was 3200rpms I'm new to upgrading and stuff but when I try to use this one it says it can't find a disk to boot I used a windows 7 USB download to try to get my Windows 7 on it but it keeps saying the same thing. So am I having a ID-10T error or do I have to have a SATA cable to use them?

What? :huh:  :wacko:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It may be better to use a disk migration software, assuming your prior hdd works and has windows 7 on it.

Hi Roy,

What failblox is saying is correct: in your case you should boot from the USB, in order to install the files on the HDD. To do that you should confirm that the drive is fully connected. Is it seen in BIOS? If it is not, you should check your cable connection. Maybe switch some ports and try again. Are you sure that the drive receives enough power? Is it spinning?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-new-install-part-1.htm check this article for some guidelines. In your case you can change DVD with USB.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/