GTX 980 Tri-SLI w/ 1440p Surround (3) monitor setup

Sephonia

@Freaky_spider That link appears to be out of date. The "x#9" platform they are using is x79, not the new x99 on the 2011-3 socket. Performance may be very similar but I'm a stickler for details :P

Ordering the skeleton for the rig today. Mobo, PSU, RAM, CPU, and various cooling supplies. I have a shitty camera so look forward to potatoes!

You do know there is a build planning forum, right. It's just wrong to put it here. I was all excited to see a tri-SLI 980 build.....

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

You do know there is a build planning forum, right. It's just wrong to put it here. I was all excited to see a tri-SLI 980 build.....

weeell atleast we know he's actually going to stick to what he's planned to build lol

Oh, I didn't realize there was both build logs and build planning. Welp, doing both at once! #sweg. On the upside, just ordered 4 parts, more to come!

Oh, I didn't realize there was both build logs and build planning. Welp, doing both at once! #sweg. On the upside, just ordered 4 parts, more to come!

But...which four parts?

Important questions, here!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Fascinating I'm definitely going to stick around for this

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz  - The holy grail of overpriced processing.
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB(4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM (2666) - Ram
EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v3 - MOBO 
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V  - PSU

Somewhat off topic, how on earth do you change topic tags on this site? I can't find it anywhere. Switching this to "on hold" since all the other parts are currently sold out and I have to wait :(
Found it!

Confirmed: I have a big package.

XGD3LPRl.jpg

And inside that package?

Motherboard~

4gB0CDol.jpg

This was A LOT heavier than I expected.

PQtWRZsl.jpg

Mmmm, tastes like octopus!

K8eSbE3l.jpg

Always use protection Kids :3

Bi14dWQl.jpg

My masterpiece draws ever closer...

Can't wait to see this build! 

@Fear.44 I'm actually going to be building a desk for myself. The entire color scheme for pc/desk is going to be White/Pink/Black/Gray (inspired by Mirrors edge and the CS:GO Asiimov/Vulcan skins).

RAM got here today, not posting pictures atm cuz, well... it's RAM lol

@Fear.44 I'm actually going to be building a desk for myself. The entire color scheme for pc/desk is going to be White/Pink/Black/Gray (inspired by Mirrors edge and the CS:GO Asiimov/Vulcan skins).

RAM got here today, not posting pictures atm cuz, well... it's RAM lol

Bruh

This went from "Should i spend assloads of money on a super sick project?"

To "Look at all this amazing shit i have" really quick

I love you

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

i need to see this thing running.

can't wait for more!

I am Painis Cupcake, I'll eat you!

@Freaky_spider I would enjoy that link :3

@Jumper118 I tried to find this "valley thread" your talking about, link me to it please. Also... valley is a benchmark software, I'm guessing? Where do I get it/ how much is it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69448-unigine-valley-benchmark-scores-thread-over-200-submissions/ <all you need. for future reference, its pinned at the top in the graphics card section :D

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Thanks Jumper118 that post might be a ways off. Still waiting on monitors/graphics cards to even become available T_T lol

Thanks Jumper118 that post might be a ways off. Still waiting on monitors/graphics cards to even become available T_T lol

i got time :).

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Why 3 ROG Swifts?  Why not run something with better image quality considering, even with 3 980's in SLI, that you likely won't see much more than 60FPS if you're lucky in most games.

Going 3 times 1440p, is it not better to wait for the 6,8 GB VRAM cards ?

Why 3 ROG Swifts? Why not run something with better image quality considering, even with 3 980's in SLI, that you likely won't see much more than 60FPS if you're lucky in most games.

Gsync works in surround now and the pg278q is no slouch and is Linus approved

I will be waiting for the 6/8GB VRAM cards. tracert what monitor would YOU recommend for gaming in a triple 2560x1440p setup? Because as far as I'm aware, it's the only available 2560x1440 monitor with a 1ms response time, and I don't care too much about "true color reproduction" as the only thing this machine will be doing is wrecking kids in games and running as a text editor.

I will be waiting for the 6/8GB VRAM cards. tracert what monitor would YOU recommend for gaming in a triple 2560x1440p setup? Because as far as I'm aware, it's the only available 2560x1440 monitor with a 1ms response time, and I don't care too much about "true color reproduction" as the only thing this machine will be doing is wrecking kids in games and running as a text editor.

Mate stick with pg278q's... They're the best 2560x1440 monitor out there

Mate stick with pg278q's... They're the best 2560x1440 monitor out there

I'm in the same boat as Sephonia, waiting for the 8GB (or 6GB) vram cards. only I don't have the budget for 3 Swifts. I'm looking for another 2 monitors (1440p) with same size & possible bezel (so QNIX is out of the question) 

I'm stuck at finding one tho

Damn three ROG swifts, that is one hefty price tag. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches