are 144hz monitors's colors as bad as people make it out to be?

Havo

im very interested in 144hz monitors, but at the same time, i dunno if i should sacrifice nice colors for 144hz. so, are 144hz tn panels's colors as bad as people make it out to be? im not a competitive l33t gam3r or anything, but the 144hz ~ultrasmooth experience~ sounds really nice.

It really depends on the monitor. For the most part, they are more washed out and have worse viewing angles. @Havo

Quote me to get a reply!

Never heard anything bad about them. The ROG Swift has a pretty good TN panel actually.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Never heard anything bad about them. The ROG Swift has a pretty good TN panel actually.

Compared to a good IPS panel, colors are washed out, which does really suck; but 144hz is worth it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The colours  are washed out with poor viewing angles depending on the monitors and for a casual gamer doing no colour work they should be just fine !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I have a VG248QE and it's not awful in terms of colours, obviously not great but it's very usable. Viewing angles suffer and the blacks are a bit crap, but those are the compromises you pay to get 144hz.

However, I would only recommend buying one if you play twitch first person shooter games at a competitive level in a league where the result actually matters to you. Any other use case is better served by a good 1440p IPS monitor.

thanks for the comments guys! what are your opinions on the overclockable korean monitors?

I am very curious to see when I get my ROG Swift on Monday. I only play games so i think it will be fine. 

I am very curious to see when I get my ROG Swift on Monday. I only play games so i think it will be fine. 

nice, share your thoughts with us! also how much power will i need to run games at 2560x1440 on 144hz? sounds like you're going to need a pretty insane graphics card

im very interested in 144hz monitors, but at the same time, i dunno if i should sacrifice nice colors for 144hz. so, are 144hz tn panels's colors as bad as people make it out to be? im not a competitive l33t gam3r or anything, but the 144hz ~ultrasmooth experience~ sounds really nice.

You don't need a 144hz display then. They're overrated for the average user. And yes, the colors are bland, boring, and washed out.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I have heard fine, I guess I will find out. From what i have read the ROG Swift is great. I really want a smooth game play experience so we shall see. I am playing on an IPS monitor right now and 144hz, gsync, low input lag, etc. sounds so good lol. I have a 780ti by the way, I dont mind turning down some graphical settings and I plan on building a new computer in 6 months or so. I dont know though, the new 980 is not for me yet so I will wait to see what the 980 ti looks like. 

I made the jump from TN to IPS last month and I must say the IPS monitor is miles better. Colours really are more defined and vibrant; the cleaner image makes things look a bit sharper too. This is most noticeable in two areas - gaming and movies.

I made the jump from TN to IPS last month and I must say the IPS monitor is miles better. Colours really are more defined and vibrant; the cleaner image makes things look a bit sharper too. This is most noticeable in two areas - gaming and movies.

That may be true but it also has downsides and the TN panel for the ROG Swift is supposed to be great, I have heard many IPS users say they could not tell the difference. I also would like to have gsync with 144hz. So far ROG Swift the only one with that. Again, I dont work on it though. 

You don't need a 144hz display then. They're overrated for the average user. And yes, the colors are bland, boring, and washed out.

The same can be said about IPS, they're overrated for the average user. I've had a ASUS PB278Q and have a ASUS MX279H specifically for console, and I still prefere the improvement of the higher frame rate over the to be honest, small improvement in colour, I admit the difference in viewing angles is very big but who cares.... I prefer to sit directly in line with the monitor.

Compared to a good IPS panel, colors are washed out, which does really suck; but 144hz is worth it. 

Yep and if you've got a bad IPS panel washed out colors are the least of your worries, as you can easily see here. For the moment I'd choose a good TN panel over an IPS any time. I use Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L in a dual setup for my desktop system, wich are TN monitors. I've never had any issues with them the colors are brilliant and from any angle I can physically look at the display the image is clearly visible. I assume not all IPS panels are as bad as the one I had to deal with, but the benefit is not worth the risk of getting blooming/severe ghosting issues.

144 is noticeable worse then 120, I have the Asus 2x vg278h(120hz) and the vg278he(144hz)....its so noticeable that I don't even bother having certain programs on that screen.

I'd love to have a monitor like the swift but I only spent like 2min in front of one and there were no normal TN panel near it for comparison..

That may be true but it also has downsides and the TN panel for the ROG Swift is supposed to be great, I have heard many IPS users say they could not tell the difference. I also would like to have gsync with 144hz. So far ROG Swift the only one with that. Again, I dont work on it though. 

Oh, please... Unless all you're playing is a fast paced twitch shooter like CS:GO, you're wasting your money/time. The rog swift is an overpriced product because ASUS has no direct competition. It's pretty hilarious to see all these early adopters like @Gauzl trying to justify their purchase. In Canada, it's just over 1K after taxes. For that price, you can find a nice 21:9 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitor when it's on sale. Sure, the colors are decent on the rog swift because it uses an 8bit panel. However, that's the only 8bit TN panel on the market. It's still not worth the ridiculous price. I bet you it costs ASUS less than $500 to produce that monitor.

@Havo AU Optronics will start mass producing 144hz IPS panels within a year or so. Be patient! You'll have the best of both worlds soon. Don't get ripped off like these clueless wannabe "pro gamers". Trust me, it's simply not worth it when you consider all the options we'll have.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

@eLucid do those isp monitors have 3D?

I know it's a gimmick but that's one thing I enjoy on my TN panels even though colors gets extra washed out while it's on. Fun gimmicks are fun.

I don't think so, mate =/ You can read more about it here, http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

Oh, please... Unless all you're playing is a fast paced twitch shooter like CS:GO, you're wasting your money/time. The rog swift is an overpriced product because ASUS has no direct competition. It's pretty hilarious to see all these early adopters like @Gauzl trying to justify their purchase. In Canada, it's just over 1K after taxes. For that price, you can find a nice 21:9 34" IPS 3440x1440 monitor when it's on sale. Sure, the colors are decent on the rog swift because it uses an 8bit panel. However, that's the only 8bit TN panel on the market. It's still not worth the ridiculous price. I bet you it costs ASUS less than $500 to produce that monitor.:

I don't need to justify anything nor am I trying to, I bought that monitor for a reason and am completely happy with it, on the other hand I was even talking about it, I was trying to say you were exaggerating the difference between good quality TN and IPS panels, if you're in fact talking about mid range to low end TN monitors then please say so.

Well I will find out tomorrow, there have been really good reviews for the ROG. I dont think its overpriced, its a new tech and that is how it goes. Again, I wont know until i use it tomorrow. 

Well I will find out tomorrow, there have been really good reviews for the ROG. I dont think its overpriced, its a new tech and that is how it goes. Again, I wont know until i use it tomorrow.

It really is worth every cent, take it from someone who actually uses it daily @eLucid, obviously he disagrees cause he only likes IPS and doesn't care if he is limited to 60hz and thinks his OPINION is 100% fact. Yeah we've been arguing for awhile :P

It really is worth every cent, take it from someone who actually uses it daily @eLucid, obviously he disagrees cause he only likes IPS and doesn't care if he is limited to 60hz and thinks his OPINION is 100% fact. Yeah we've been arguing for awhile :P

Are you seriously trying to start a shit storm? Because you'll get one, and you'll lose. I had a samsung 2233rz, the first 120hz tn monitor ever produced. Guess what? 120hz was great but the colors/gamma was total shit, so I switched back to my old 22" NEC FP2141SB CRT that was capable of hitting 120hz on medium resolutions and 85hz at max. That sucker retailed for 800 dollars. Why did I switch back? Because it was impossible to see enemies in dark spots on maps; most notably, de_dust2 (tunnels)/de_nuke etc. This is when I was still playing cs competitively btw. You may think colors and gamma don't mean much. However, in reality, it's just as crucial as those extra hertz you crave.

Go crawl back into your hole, kiddo. 

*Note* You've now made my blacklist. Not a feat easily accomplished fyi. You're only the second person on it.

Edited by eLucid

Are you seriously trying to start a shit storm? Because you'll get one, and you'll lose. I had a samsung 2233rz, the first 120hz tn monitor ever produced. Guess what? 120hz was great but the colors/gamma was total shit, so I switched back to my old 22" NEC FP2141SB CRT that was capable of hitting 120hz on medium resolutions and 85hz at max. That sucker retailed for 800 dollars. Why did I switch back? Because it was impossible to see enemies in dark spots on maps; most notably, de_dust2 (tunnels)/de_nuke etc. This is when I was still playing cs competitively btw. You may think colors and gamma don't mean much. However, in reality, it's just as crucial as those extra hertz you crave.

Go crawl back into your hole, kiddo.

*Note* You've now made my blacklist. Not a feat easily accomplished fyi. You're only the second person on it.

WOAH calm down down keyboard warrior! Mate this is a forum, which is not somewhere to be so disrespectful, il let the admins know next time K.

Yes, not THAT bad but pretty bad.