ASUS Xonar DSX Or Built-in Realtek On Motherboard?

PlayModeOn

Hello,

I have cash to spent and I came across some sound cards. The Xonar DSX got my attention and wondering if it is 'better' than my built-in audio on my Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=Specifications

And here is the sound card:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=32&bid=9&sid=124767

The built-in audio is fine but it is pretty average in bass, mid and highs. 

Currently using Z11 headphones.

EDIT: Also when it comes to audio, I do not really understand the specifications but I do consider myself an audiophile.

Any thoughts?

-Thanks.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

its your headphones that are bad, nothing your sound card can do to make them better

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Hello,

I have cash to spent and I came across some sound cards. The Xonar DSX got my attention and wondering if it is 'better' than my built-in audio on my Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard.

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=32&bid=9&sid=124767

Any thoughts?

-Thanks.

The audio on that board is probably not the best, but even if you bought a soundcard, I guarantee you won't be able to hear a difference. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Hmm ok. Would anyone suggest a good headphone at Umart?

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=9&id2=147

Budget: Less than $100.

Also in the future, would adding a soundcard would even make a difference (presumably with a decent headphones)?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

any audio companies around you?

computer stores typically sell the cheap gaming junk.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Also in the future, would adding a soundcard would even make a difference (presumably with a decent headphones)?

Potentially, yes, but usually, no. It typically just makes headphones louder. 

There's a whole culture based around trying to make other people think expensive soundcards, DACs, and amps significantly alter the sound or "improve" it in some way. In my experience that's a load of bull - expensive gear might make minute changes to the sound, but swapping headphones is a much much greater change.

Hello,

EDIT: Also when it comes to audio, I do not really understand the specifications but I do consider myself an audiophile.

Any thoughts?

-Thanks.

No headphone will get their full performance with a soundcard,a sound card is tuned for gaming and movies and for music you will like it at first but within a year you would be upgrading to a new one.DAC on the other is just pure awesomeness that you will keep coming for more.

any audio companies around you?

computer stores typically sell the cheap gaming junk.

I agree. It's also best to hear your options yourself, rather than to buy blindly online (so that you don't keep rolling headphones).

• 2 weeks later...

Potentially, yes, but usually, no. It typically just makes headphones louder. 

There's a whole culture based around trying to make other people think expensive soundcards, DACs, and amps significantly alter the sound or "improve" it in some way. In my experience that's a load of bull - expensive gear might make minute changes to the sound, but swapping headphones is a much much greater change.

But this soundcard is not expensive.

Plus I am using an ancient motherboard with an average or OK built-in audio (Realtek 892)

No headphone will get their full performance with a soundcard,a sound card is tuned for gaming and movies and for music you will like it at first but within a year you would be upgrading to a new one.DAC on the other is just pure awesomeness that you will keep coming for more.

Sorry what's a DAC?

But this soundcard is not expensive.

Plus I am using an ancient motherboard with an average or OK built-in audio (Realtek 892)

The Realtek 892 is fine. 

Sorry what's a DAC?

Digital to analog converter meaning computer format converted to actual sound.DAC is buit inside a pc but soundquality is less because of noise from electrical components inside pc.So an external DAC like Fiio e7 is necessary to get good sound.What an external DAC does is it does all the sound processing outside pc so that it is free from noise.Benifit of an external DAC over soundcard is that dac doesn't need any drivers

Digital to analog converter meaning computer format converted to actual sound.DAC is buit inside a pc but soundquality is less because of noise from electrical components inside pc.So an external DAC like Fiio e7 is necessary to get good sound.What an external DAC does is it does all the sound processing outside pc so that it is free from noise.Benifit of an external DAC over soundcard is that dac doesn't need any drivers

A lot of USB DACs need drivers, especially ones that operate asynchronously.

Ah thanks. I do know what Digital to Analog Converters are I just didn't knew the acronym.