Help with ssd buying

Wadu436

So i have a desktop, and i want to upgrade to a new ssd. i saw some stuff on internet that you need a sata to usb cable, but that package costs 20 more euro.

My question is, do i really need to connect the ssd with a cable first before i install it?

If you want to replace your HDD with an SSD and use the HDD as a new, clean drive, then yes you will need to have a SATA to USB cable.
If you plan on just starting all over again then the cable won't be necessary.

CPU: Intel i5 4440 @3.1 GHz, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H µATX, RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz,
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X,Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB Seagate HDD,

PSU: Corsair CX750M, Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

If you want to replace your HDD with an SSD and use the HDD as a new, clean drive, then yes you will need to have a SATA to USB cable.

If you plan on just starting all over again then the cable won't be necessary.

I have a hard drive with 2 partitions, 1 with primary windows and user files, 1 with backup windows for if the first partition fails and with my games. What i want to do is get the ssd for primary windows, bf4 and some other programs, then merge those 2 partitions and put all other stuff on it.

if you want to, you can clone your existing drive. in case you have no spare sata data and power connectors, you can use a usb adaptor to connect the drive (ususally in case of a laptop)

other than that you can just connect it to a pair of spare sata power and data cables hanging around in your case

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

if you want to, you can clone your existing drive. in case you have no spare sata data and power connectors, you can use a usb adaptor to connect the drive (ususally in case of a laptop)

other than that you can just connect it to a pair of spare sata power and data cables hanging around in your case

So i can do it without the sata cables? can you give me a quick guide on how to do that?

So i can do it without the sata cables? can you give me a quick guide on how to do that?

Just to get it right what you want.

You currently have one partition with windows, and one with games and storage and stuff. So you want just windows on the ssd and everything else on the hdd in one partition?

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Just to get it right what you want.

You currently have one partition with windows, and one with games and storage and stuff. So you want just windows on the ssd and everything else on the hdd in one partition?

i have 1 with windows and user files, and another one with a backup of windows and my games (most of them, there are still some i couldnt move from partition 1).

i want windows, skype, spotify, chrome, battlefield 4 and league of legends to be on the ssd, but i know how to move league, ill google it for bf4 and ill just reinstall skype spotify and chrome (as theyre not heavy for my connection).

then i want to merge the 2 partitions i have now and have my user files, a backup of windows and the games that couldnt make it on the ssd on the same partition

You can use any kind of disk cloning software to clone the contents of the primary partition on to your ssd (windows, user data, bf4, etc).

Then to basically use the hdd as a whole you will need to do a backup of all the data you want to have on it later anyways, meaning you'd need a temporary third drive.

Just do a complete back up of the drive, then wipe, repartition the drive and copy what you want to have left on it from the backup on to the hdd. Then wipe the temporary drive.

You can use any kind of disk cloning software to clone the contents of the primary partition on to your ssd (windows, user data, bf4, etc).

Then to basically use the hdd as a whole you will need to do a backup of all the data you want to have on it later anyways, meaning you'd need a temporary third drive.

Just do a complete back up of the drive, then wipe, repartition the drive and copy what you want to have left on it from the backup on to the hdd. Then wipe the temporary drive.

can i also merge the partitions like this post says? D -> C: http://puu.sh/bFFlk/39ef84d0dc.png

can i also merge the partitions like this post says? D -> C: http://puu.sh/bFFlk/39ef84d0dc.png

yes, this should be an even easier approach.

yes, this should be an even easier approach.

btw will the ssd work with my 600 watt psu?

It should have plenty of power to spare, what else are you running though?

ssds basically use no power, so as long as the rest of the system stays the same, there is no change in power draw.

ssds basically use no power, so as long as the rest of the system stays the same, there is no change in power draw.

Ok ill quote you again if i need more help :) thanks!

Do the screws for the ssd come along with the ssd or do i need to buy them seperately? And can i like choose programs when i copy windows to the ssd? I dont want to copy everything only a few programs

Do the screws for the ssd come along with the ssd or do i need to buy them seperately? And can i like choose programs when i copy windows to the ssd? I dont want to copy everything only a few programs

the screws should come with the ssd, alternatively they come with your case. Depending on what ssd you buy, software is encluded with the disk, but if thats not the case, there are a big number of open source options available. A good example that can do what you are looking for is Clonezilla

the screws should come with the ssd, alternatively they come with your case. Depending on what ssd you buy, software is encluded with the disk, but if thats not the case, there are a big number of open source options available. A good example that can do what you are looking for is Clonezilla

and can i like choose folders?