Nvidia's Attempt to Manipulate the GTX 980 Figures to Deceive the Press Worked !

.http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/23

the power efficiency gains are truly remarkable. With a TDP lower than even GTX 680, this is the lowest power consumption has been for a chart-topping card since 9800 GTX over half a decade ago. It’s really a bit of a honeymoon period since if and when NVIDIA does Big Maxwell one has to expect power consumption will go back up, but for the time being it’s very pleasing to be able to get chart-topping performance inside of 165W

Again to everyone that bought the "TDP is not power consumption" argument. Well obviously the press and Nvidia disagree with you and even Anandtech's editor fell for it even though his own test results clearly dispute this.

t66gCdv.jpg

67754.png

So according to Ryan Smith the GTX 980 consumes less power than the 680... that's what he said in his conclusion, completely ignoring the test that he has done and relying on Nvidia's manipulated TDP figures.

I mean I don't see how else to say this, but Nvidia fooled everyone it seems.

:/ 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You're posting this again?

And how the hell does a 780Ti consume more power than an r9 290x?

And that graph shows TOTAL POWER CONSUMPTION for the entire rig!Jeez.

Now,look at this graph : 

67755.png

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

how is a 290 consuming more power than a 290x

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

its says total system power consumption at the top of anandtechs chart so maybe thats it?

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

And that graph shows TOTAL POWER CONSUMPTION for the entire rig!

Total power consumption of the system doesn't go UP with a 980 compared to a 680 if the 980 consumes less power.

its says total system power consumption at the top of anandtechs chart so maybe thats it?

Logically, total power consumption should go DOWN if you replace a 680 with a 980 by 30W according to Nvidia's official power figures.

Total power consumption of the system doesn't go UP with a 980 compared to a 680 if the 980 consumes less power.

Check my post...

67755.png

980 vs 680

294W vs 325W

???

30 Watt difference.

Logically, total power consumption should go DOWN if you replace a 680 with a 980 by 30W according to Nvidia's official power figures.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Like I said before don't bother... Nvidia can lie all they want if they have followers who are blinded to have you convinced that power isn't power consumption but actually something else. And performance/watt isn't a measure of power efficiency no it's actually a measure of performance/heat. Whatever that is...

@Nineshadow how does a 290x consume less than a 290 :P

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

And that graph shows TOTAL POWER CONSUMPTION for the entire rig!Jeez.

Now,look at this graph : 

Check my post...

980 vs 680

294W vs 325W

???

30 Watt difference.

That's furmark. A synthetic test not a real world scenario. The card is artificially throttling by 200mhz. Look at the frequency.

T0LT9iE.jpg

And since when does a card consume less power in furmark than in ACTUAL games ? Again the card is being artificially limited in furmark knowing that the press use it to measure power consumption even though NOBODY plays furmark because it's not a game.

67754.png

67755.png

-/-

Quote from Anandtech :

"Our first load power test is our gaming test, with Crysis 3. Because we measure from the wall, this test means we’re seeing GPU power consumption as well as CPU power consumption, which means high performance cards will drive up the system power consumption numbers merely by giving the CPU more work to do. This is exactly what happens in the case of the GTX 980; at 304W it’s between the GK104 based GTX 680 and GTX 770, however it’s also delivering 30% better framerates. Accordingly the power consumption of the GTX 980 itself should be lower than either card, but we would not see it in a system power measurement."

What's so hard to understand...

Oh,and Furmark only stresses your GPU,not your CPU,so it should show closer to what your GPU is actually using.That's why it consumes less power...

how is a 290 consuming more power than a 290x

Reference 290X vs Aftermarket 290 with higher clocks & voltages?

Quote from Anandtech :

"Our first load power test is our gaming test, with Crysis 3. Because we measure from the wall, this test means we’re seeing GPU power consumption as well as CPU power consumption, which means high performance cards will drive up the system power consumption numbers merely by giving the CPU more work to do. This is exactly what happens in the case of the GTX 980; at 304W it’s between the GK104 based GTX 680 and GTX 770, however it’s also delivering 30% better framerates. Accordingly the power consumption of the GTX 980 itself should be lower than either card, but we would not see it in a system power measurement."

What's so hard to understand...

You have to prove that theory otherwise it remains a theory. Also a CPU wouldn't just magicially run out of spec just because you installed a faster GPU.

Tomshardware does very comprehensive GPU ONLY power consumption measurements. But the review isn't up yet, will post here once it is.

17170941483l.jpg

40% less power than a 780Ti,and you're still not getting it.

well in the graph of @Katness Everdeen the amount lies within the zone of allowed error when confirmed to the 680, every chip/card is a little bit diffrent.

But i gues Nvidea was talking about idle power consumtion, not full load.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

.http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/23

Again to everyone that bought the "TDP is not power consumption" argument. Well obviously the press and Nvidia disagree with you and even Anandtech's editor fell for it even though his own test results clearly dispute this.

t66gCdv.jpg

67754.png

So according to Ryan Smith the GTX 980 consumes less power than the 680... that's what he said in his conclusion, completely ignoring the test that he has done and relying on Nvidia's manipulated TDP figures.

I mean I don't see how else to say this, but Nvidia fooled everyone it seems.

But TDP is more of an indication of power efficiency than actual power draw... so the fact that the GTX 980 actually drew more power than the GTX 680 does not mean that Nvidia lied about the TDP...

Also, the fact that the GTX 980 performs so close to a GTX 780 Ti whilst maintaining a power draw that is so close to the GTX 680 is a feat that is well worth the praise that Anandtech have given it.

I'm just here for laughs. Keep it up people!  :lol:

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Come on... People already explained to you why you were wrong in the previous thread and it was locked. I am not sure if you're reading the graphs the wrong way on purpose or if you don't know any better, but you are wrong. TDP and power consumption are two different things.

Defend AMD if you want, or hate on Nvidia if you want. There are legitimate reasons to do both, but this is not one of them. You are reading the graphs the wrong way.

Come on... People already explained to you why you were wrong in the previous thread and it was locked. I am not sure if you're reading the graphs the wrong way on purpose or if you don't know any better, but you are wrong. TDP and power consumption are two different things.

Defend AMD if you want, or hate on Nvidia if you want. There are legitimate reasons to do both, but this is not one of them. You are reading the graphs the wrong way.

dont even try... it doesnt work with trolls and idiots

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

@BookerDeWitt

System Power Consumption. And TDP =/= Power Consumption.

Also a CPU wouldn't just magicially run out of spec just because you installed a faster GPU.

We're not saying it's magically running out of spec you tool. We're saying it is less limited by the GPU. A high end CPU bottlenecked by a piece of shit GPU won't use as much power as it would with a high end GPU. It's not 'magically running below spec' just because it's bottlenecked by a low end GPU.

Tomshardware does very comprehensive GPU ONLY power consumption measurements. But the review isn't up yet, will post here once it is.

Well that's not very relevant yet is it? It's almost like you know it will support your view. Because to conspiracy theorists like you, the evidence always supports your conclusion. Even when it doesn't.

General rule. People who talk about idiots blindly following one view of things are usually blindly following a conflicting view of things.

Oh, and

You have to prove that theory otherwise it remains a theory.

Fuck you.

And before you all think I'm an Nvidia fanboy, I have an R9 280X. No allegiance to Nvidia. I don't even particularly like the colour green.