help backing up programs/games to external drive?

RapidRampage245

ok so im wondering if theirs a way to like back up some programs/games to an external drive while i reinstall windows?

so i have slow internet and i dont wanna re-download all the programs/games that are like 5-20 gb downloads

i just wanna know how to back them up then restore them after i format hhd

Copy your SteamApps folder and Origin Games folder to your external drive.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Copy your SteamApps folder and Origin Games folder to your external drive.

and then after i do that i just paste it back to its original location after i format pc and they will work fine?

and then after i do that i just paste it back to its original location after i format pc and they will work fine?

Paste them in the same location they're in now. Steam does a good job of auto detecting your games; all you have to do is click install and it detects the game. 

Copy the game files that are in your Documents as well.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

as mega said. Just copy down that you think is important. (I'd copy steamapps, origin files, (well i only have bejeweled 3, which is on the house), then the my documents folder, which contains all my work and some saves etc. :)