Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Just thought I would drop in and introduce myself along with all the others here in the lounge!

I have been coding for maybe 2 years now? Tried my hand in quite a few things, but only really settled down in C++ around March of this year, coding for a side project mod for Terraria! Its tonnes of fun and I have made a few friends along the way :)

I was looking to get into Java, however havent really had the chance.

Looking forward to studying IT in university!

Hi my name is Steven you can call me Steve I am currently on a placement year at a digital firm in Leeds England, as a mobile developer but for my main course I study at the University of Huddersfield studying a degree in Computing. As a undergraduate I have learned the following programming languages/used the following development tools:

University taught languages:

C++

Java

Android development

Unix scripting 

Database development: 

MySQL - both for creation of a database and sql queries.

Front End development:

PHP

HTML 5 

CSS + CSS 3

but while I am on placement I am currently working with iOS development and using my C++ Skills so the main languages I am using is obv C++ and Objective C using the xCode IDE. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can program in Java, Jscript, C#, A little bit of python and php, and I like to think of myself as a master at HTML. (=P) For IDEs, I like Visual Studio compared to all other IDEs I've tried, but for android it'd be android studio over eclipse. I have to prefer windows over linux because I'm also in to gaming, like most people on this forum, and windows just runs more applications that I would use. I did use linux for a while though and found it enjoyable. I'm currently taking college classes through this program: https://www.ohiohighered.org/ccp (I'm in 8th grade), and looking into taking computer science classes at the college I'm attending.

Bill: i5-4690K - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz (2x8GB) RAM - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD -  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition - NZXT H440 - EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 - CX600M - NZXT Hue RGB LED kit

How-To-Gaming CommunityJoin Here

Hey guys, my name is Stef, or Epse, or Aethernetty, or Thes, or whatever you know me as.

I started getting into programming I think in first year of high school with VBA. I haven't seen anyone else really mention VBA, but I loved it, and eventually obviously moved on to VB.NET. In the meantime I had already started learning PHP and HTML. I have recently thought myself C++, and I still love my C#. I have encountered CoderDojo last year, and even though I didn't really learn anything from it (Java, a bit) it was so much fun being around other geeks that I kept going. If there are any CoderDojo volunteers here: Guys, you are AWESOME.

Recently, I have managed to land myself a student's job for the whole year (I am 16 now), remaking a website. (Shad.be if you are interested in it's current horror)

Shortlist:

IDE:

Atom for web stuff that uses PHP

(sometimes for C++ as well)

Brackets for static web stuff

Visual studio for .Net stuffs

VIM for everything else

Currently learning:

Python and

Javascript (sigh, only because I have to)

In February I started my first programming job.  I'm an autodidact and there's no jobs locally within 130 miles so I had to get very lucky to get a remote gig.

My major languages are C#, javascript, SQL, and my own language OILexer (used to write languages.)

I write Server-side services using the WCF, web applications using MVC 5 and C# (the Razor engine rocks)  and I assist in building the client application which is the ISV I work for's major bread winner.  I frequently write tools to get things done using WPF due to its flexibility.

My preference is towards code automation.

• 3 weeks later...

HELLo, so i know the basics of c++, and started c#, i've been  wondering is there a way to gain experience without doing those console related exercises?

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.

hi, my name is Mukund and i am the noobiest noob to programming, i only know how to print in C, Python and HTML, i only know how to print, nothing else

• 2 weeks later...

HELLo, so i know the basics of c++, and started c#, i've been  wondering is there a way to gain experience without doing those console related exercises?

I personally like just diving in head first by doing whatever you want to do and whatever questions you have ask a friend who knows what they're doing, and can also tell you how/how not to do things.

If you don't have a friend to ask you can PM me for my skype and I can help you with C#.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not to much in to programming other then C# but some one made a horribly cheesy joke. "You must be GNU to this."

Edited by prolemur
typo

Hello all I posted this in a stand alone topic but seeing as I really need the help I'm pasting the problem here.

I'm a first year student in programming and I'm super stuck, I am supposed to create a program in Python

that gives the output of the something like this

Welcome to the dice roll simulator.

How many sides does the dice have? 4

How many times would you like to roll the dice? 3

** , 2 dots.

**** , 4 dots.

* , 1 dot.

Total value of all rolls:  7

I have been working on figuring out this code for a while.  The only guideline I'm supposed

to follow is using diceRoll = random.randint(1, diceSides) to get the final output.  However,

I can't even think of a place to start.  could anyone give me some pointers on what to do?

Any help is appreciated

-CJ

Edit: I am also supposed to do this using a while loop

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Hello all I posted this in a stand alone topic but seeing as I really need the help I'm pasting the problem here.

I'm a first year student in programming and I'm super stuck, I am supposed to create a program in Python

How many sides does the dice have? 4

How many times would you like to roll the dice? 3

** , 2 dots.

**** , 4 dots.

* , 1 dot.

Total value of all rolls: 7

I have been working on figuring out this code for a while. The only guideline I'm supposed

to follow is using diceRoll = random.randint(1, diceSides) to get the final output. However,

I can't even think of a place to start. could anyone give me some pointers on what to do?

Any help is appreciated

-CJ

Your first step would be to create a while for the amount of rolls

Then you should generate the number with the randint part

I would use a array to safe the values but im not sure if thats the best way

Deleted code is debugged code.

How many sides does the dice have? 4

How many times would you like to roll the dice? 3

** , 2 dots.

**** , 4 dots.

* , 1 dot.

Total value of all rolls:  7

I have been working on figuring out this code for a while.  The only guideline I'm supposed

to follow is using diceRoll = random.randint(1, diceSides) to get the final output.  However,

I can't even think of a place to start.  could anyone give me some pointers on what to do?

Any help is appreciated

-CJ

as a c# developer im not too familiar with the syntax of python but ill give you the code in c# and maybe you can translate what you need to python. WARNING THIS IS THE COMPLETE SOLUTION:

//an object that will generate a random Random random = new Random();//asking for the number of sidesConsole.WriteLine("How many sides does your dice have?");int sides = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());Console.WriteLine();//asking for the number of throwsConsole.WriteLine("How many times do you want to roll the dice?");int times = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());Console.WriteLine();//loop that runs 1 iteration for each throwfor (int i = 0; i < times; i++){    //each a new random number between 1 and sides+1     //since in c# the maxvalue of random is meant exclusive    int number = random.Next(1, sides + 1);    //loop that runs x iterations depending on what random number has been thrown    for (int c = 0; c < number; c++)    {        //outputting x amount of stars depending on the number thrown        Console.Write("*");    }        //outputting the actual number    Console.Write(", " + number + " dots.");                        //Creating an empty row after each throw    Console.WriteLine();    Console.WriteLine();}

and that should look a little like this

post-83157-0-62438000-1445413503.jpg

so here are some hints:

you need to run a loop for the amount of throws and create a random each iteration 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

as a c# developer im not too familiar with the syntax of python but ill give you the code in c# and maybe you can translate what you need to python

//an object that will generate a random Random random = new Random();//asking for the number of sidesConsole.WriteLine("How many sides does your dice have?");int sides = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());Console.WriteLine();//asking for the number of throwsConsole.WriteLine("How many times do you want to roll the dice?");int times = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());Console.WriteLine();//loop that runs 1 iteration for each throwfor (int i = 0; i < times; i++){    //each a new random number between 1 and sides+1     //since in c# the maxvalue of random is meant exclusive    int number = random.Next(1, sides + 1);    //loop that runs x iterations depending on what random number has been thrown    for (int c = 0; c < number; c++)    {        //outputting x amount of stars depending on the number thrown        Console.Write("*");    }        //outputting the actual number    Console.Write(", " + number + " dots.");                        //Creating an empty row after each throw    Console.WriteLine();    Console.WriteLine();}
and that should look a little like this

attachicon.gifUnbenannt.JPG

He should be able to make it with this, but tbh I don't like the fact you give him the solution

How will he do it on his exam?

Now he can just "type over" your code and he will learn syntax

I don't want to upset you but that's just my opinion

He should be able to make it with this, but tbh I don't like the fact you give him the solution

yeah you maybe right i thought about that too but honestly if he has no where to start hes gonna google and find complete solutions anyway. but still you are right maybe a hint in the right direction wouldve been enough. im gonna edit that post and add spoilers

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

better now? hope he didnt already see it

yeah you maybe right i thought about that too but honestly if he has no where to start hes gonna google and find complete solutions anyway. but still you are right maybe a hint in the right direction wouldve been enough. im gonna edit that post and add spoilers

better now? hope he didnt already see it

Haha I like how you added the warning [emoji14]

I think its better that way, with what I told him he should be able to get further and find a way too start

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a somewhat experienced programmer, I mostly like to fiddle around with things in JavaScript, python, BASH, and recently I've been playing with Q BASIC. While I mostly toy around with code; I do write something useful once-in-awhile. I'm currently a sophomore in high school, where I'm taking a college course in SQL/professional database design and i'm scheduled in for a college course in C#/C++ (Hey, it's free, so why not?)

I write code and build computers because the topics interest me, I believe it is as simple as that.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Just signed up.

I'm a beginner, mostly use PHP, VB, C++. 

and some experience in Java, Clips, Prolog, Python.

I create some program once in a while.

Now try to fiddle around php using mysql database using PDO to see how to actually create a secured, neat, effective dynamic e-commerce wether it's from the database, server or programming pov.

I'll be glad if someone would guide me :)

I might as well introduce myself I'm a First year undergraduate studying Computer Science student studying at Coventry University - England :) My first experience with programming was in Java when messing around with minecraft mods, but it wasn't really proper programming, more just implementing API to add stuff into the game. Then I start university and was introduced to C++, the basic syntax from java helped a lot. C++ is a lot nicer to learn from I feel, you get to see a lot more of the stuff behind how things actually work. As for IDEs coming from java i very much like Eclipse, and not just for java, the plugins available for it are pretty cool too. I use eclipse for writing up any documents using LaTeX as it has some really nice plugins. I also installed the Go plugin which also worked a dream. For now for my current uni work they want us to use Code::Blocks (It really isn't great..) But i've added everything an use Visual Studio Ultimate on my desktop and laptop which is where I do all my work from. The uni PCs are fast but the user documents are completely networked and its hard to get the stuff to compile over a slow network.. As for OSs my Desktop has Win7 professional for gaming, then I normally have it booted into kubuntu, there is also mint w/ cinnamon installed on it as well.

Your pretty close to the Coventry airport?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I'm new to this stuff and I've been doing some HTML/CSS (markup isnt programming, etc)

Let's say I have this bit of HTML

<div id="A"><div id="B"> <p>texty content</p></div></div> 

and this bit of CSS

#A {background-color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3) /*transparent black bar across the screen*/height:100px;width:auto;}#B {background-color:black; /*solid black 100x100 pixels box on the right, parented to A*/float:right;width:100px;height:100px;}

Say I create a #B:hover, can I make that manipulate #A?

For example if I want to move A with the hover, but only when the mouse is above B?

There is some magic trickery that can be done in css to change an other object if one's state is modified.

I believe it's the + propriety.

I have an example in a school project here http://midsummerprism.ca/lab/tp2web/commande/.

It's done with the images and some hidden radio buttons. Clicking the image changes the radio button state, then affects the border of the image, even tho the state of the image hasn't changed, only the radio button (hidden).

You can check in the source code how I did it.

http://midsummerprism.ca/lab/tp2web/css/commande.css

The same principle could be applied with the hover state probably. I believe what you're askin can be done, with no java script ;p

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

anyone knows how to convert ISBN 10 to ISBN 13? Python programming. Thanks!

anyone knows how to convert ISBN 10 to ISBN 13? Python programming. Thanks!

Consult Google. I entered the query "converting ISBN 10 to 13" on Google and in about 25 seconds figured it out. :)

I'm pretty proud of this. It's not finished yet, but I've managed to learn how Python classes work and shit in 1 day.

main.py

from classes import program greenfly = program()greenfly.displayMainMenu()

classes.py

import osimport time  class program():    #Initalises class constructor    def __init__(self):        self.gen0BirthRate = 0        self.gen0SurvivalRate = 0    #Displays main menu, and prompts the user to input the menu item that they want    def displayMainMenu(self):        os.system("clear")        print("1. ")        print("2. ")        print("3. ")        print("4. ")        try:            usrInput = int(input("Input the menu item you wish to excecute (numbers only please): "))            if usrInput == 1:                print("foo")            elif usrInput == 2:                print("bar")            elif usrInput == 3:                print("foobar")            elif usrInput == 4:                print("aosidfhasoidhias")        except ValueError:            print("That was not a correct input")            time.sleep(3)            self.displayMainMenu()        os.system("clear")    #Returns the appropriate variables to the function that called it    def getModelVars(self):        return self.gen0SurvivalRate, self.gen0BirthRate    #Displays the user input for the survival rate and the birth rate    def getGen0Values(self):        print(self.gen0SurvivalRate, self.gen0BirthRate)    #Allows the user to input the values for the birth rate and survival rate    def inputGen0Values(self):        self.gen0BirthRate = input("Please enter the Generation 0 birth rate: ")        self.gen0SurvivalRate = input("Please enter the Generation 0 survival rate: ") 

I've been woking on something, but I need to figure out who to write my code in paralel so that I can both render my screen and process information in the background

I'll just share what I have so far of the little engine.

Screenshot:

post-266506-0-45353600-1450366044.png

Init.js

//A Simple game engine by// Begin Setting Up//Specify required scripts hereRequireScript("core.js")RequireScript("pen.js")RequireScript("gui.js")RequireScript("mouse.js")//Specify available colors here.var Red = CreateColor(255, 0, 0, 255)var Green = CreateColor(0, 255, 0, 255)var Blue = CreateColor(0, 0, 255, 255)var White = CreateColor(255, 255, 255, 255)var Gray = CreateColor(150, 150, 150, 255)var screenCutoff = 5// Finish Setting UpSetFrameRate(60)while (true) {	gui.RenderScreen()} 

core.js

//System Script//Version 0.0.1function core () {	function AssignGameInfo() {		return ["Sample Title","Author","Version"]	}} 

gui.js

// Text RPG GUI script//Build 55//Grabs data about the game for convient ease of access.//Requires my cursor library.RequireScript("core.js")RequireScript("mouse.js")gameInfo = core.AssignGameInfo()//These two variables control the displayed screenvar defaultScreen = "titleScreen"var screenID = defaultScreen//Our two colors for the selection indicators.var colorFalse = CreateColor(20, 20, 20, 255)var colorTrue = CreateColor(150, 150, 150, 255)//Grabs and stores the screen width and height for convenient accessvar screenWidth = GetScreenWidth()var screenHeight = GetScreenHeight()//Grabs and stores out system font.var font = GetSystemFont()// Draw a centered frame X number of pixels from the border of the screenfunction DrawFrame (frameDistance, frameColor) {  pen.Align(frameDistance, frameDistance)	pen.Move(screenWidth - (frameDistance * 2), 0, frameColor)	pen.Move(0, screenHeight - (frameDistance * 2), frameColor)	pen.Move(0 - screenWidth + (frameDistance * 2), 0, frameColor)	pen.Move(0, 0 - screenHeight + (frameDistance * 2), frameColor)	}function gui () {	//Draws centered text	function drawCenteredText(height, text) {		font.drawText((screenWidth / 2) - (font.getStringWidth(text) / 2), height, text)	}		//Controls the screens being rendered.	function RenderScreen() {		//Resets our mouse.Draw controller		var drawMouse = ''				//Draws the frame/border of our screen		DrawFrame(screenCutoff, White)				//If our screenID matches the ID for the titlescreen then we render that screen		if (screenID == "titleScreen") {			var lastScreen = "titleScreen"			//We need mouse input so let's set our cursor's visiblity to true.			var drawMouse = true						//Align our pen and drag it to the edge of the screen.			pen.Align(screenCutoff, screenCutoff + 20)			pen.Move(screenWidth - screenCutoff * 2, 0, White)						//Draw centered text for our title bar			drawCenteredText(screenCutoff + 3, gameInfo[0])								}		//If our cursor's status is true then we must render our cursor.		if (drawMouse== true) {			mouse.Draw(White)		}				//Cant forget to update the screen, lets do that!		FlipScreen();	}} 

pen.js

// Pen Engine//Functions similarly to how pens work in Scratch by MIT//Version 1.01function pen () {	//Aligns the pen used for other functions	function Align (x, y) {		penAlign = [x, y]	}		//Moves the pen by X and Y pixels		function Move (x, y, color) {		Line (penAlign[0], penAlign[1], penAlign[0] + x, penAlign[1] + y, color)		Align(penAlign[0] + x, penAlign [1] + y) 	}} 

mouse.js

// mouse library//Build 2var clickableObjects = []function mouse() {	//Draws our cursor in the specified color	function Draw (color) {		pen.Align (GetMouseX(), GetMouseY())		pen.Move(10, 0, color)		pen.Move(-10, 10, color)		pen.Move(0, -10, color)	}		function createButton(xPos, yPos, width, height, text, colorA, colorB, action) {		clickableObjects[clickableObjects.length + 1] = [xPost, yPost, width, height, text, colorA, colorB, action]	}		function clearButton() {		clickableObjects = []	}} 

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.