Programmers Lounge

deafboy

jQuery is a library...

Yes, yes, I know that, but I am used to so many people listening it up so I do it myself. 

And adding to my own list

Working on C++ this year (third year of engineering)

Bash (Does that even count?)

Powershell (Haven't started that yet)

Also started using Phpstrom for PhP

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

• 2 weeks later...

As off today I'm officially a Computer Science and Engineering student at Technical University of Delft (TUD) :D First semester will be Calculus, Computer Organisation (Assembly) and Object Oriented programming (Java) :D other languages I will be learning this year are PHP, SQL, C#, C++ and Goal (based on haskell I think) its developed by the TUD and its used for the subject Artificial Intelligence which involves programming UT3 bots :D,  also some minor languages but according to my uni these languages cover almost every "type" of language... I also know a lot off these already, but well today I received my book about Java and there is a lot left to learn (800pages :D).

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

My programming skills (with projects Ive worked on or Im working on):

PHP

- Forum engines: Mybb (till 2013/09), smf (till now)

- Platform: MedOS (closed web platform for hospital management); used by BHC till today.

- Many private/business web-pages,

C#, MonoDevelop

- Small system monitoring app for my own use, in 2012 I uploaded it to GitHub, +/- 1 000 downloads from 2012,

Java

- Some small, test apps. Nothing worthy.

HTML5. CSS3, JavaScript

- Many web pages,

Flash:

- small animated buttons and other things for use in webpages,

Thats pretty much it.......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am TizzyT, I started learning programming (self taught) somewhere in highschool. Thought I start with C but I didn't get it at all. Started looking into simpler things and found RealBasic. Got comfortable with that and moved to VB.NET. Since it was essentially the same I migrated over pretty quickly. After a couple months of learning/using VB.NET I went to learn C#, I found it VERY SIMILAR to VB.NET only that there is case sensitivity and a small syntax change. I messed around with code I wrote in C# and VB.NET and decided to use VB.NET (only because I was more confortable with it). I never really decided to learn Java but a friend of mine in the IT courses asked me for help and he was learning Java, and thought I might have some experience in it, but I didn't non the less it looked very familiar to me and I ended up helping him and learning a bit of Java on the way (even though for some reason I hate it lol). While I was helping my friend I was also in college myself (after a years break), I was attending Devry University in Philadelphia PA (worst school ever imo). I was taking business with a specialty in computer science. I was learning C++ for only 1 of the 4 semesters I was there (which was opossite of what they told me). I bailed from that school and am suffering from debt atm lol but anyways I was comfortable with C++ aswell and I help out classmates that needed help (skype sessions) even one time getting in trouble because I apparently wasn't allowed to help (wtf?). Some people tell me if I know C++ I should know C, and even if that were true I do not say I know how to code in a particular language unless I have actually written something in that language. So C is not on my list lol. As for the other languages I know HTML, Javascript, some R, some D. My plan atm is to wrap my head around x86 or IA-32 (which ever you wanna call it). For now I write mostly in VB.NET because its was essentially the language I started with and am most comfortable, it does what I need and want to do. I am mostly self taught and only had a 8 week course in C++ so as far as being a good programmer goes I'm probably not one but I find it fun and makes me think, and there is always things to learn.

My first contribution ever I think was a little chess timer for my little brother. My first public contribution was in the ps3 scene where I made a simple bundle/GUI to make coldboots for the PS3. Since then I have been on my blog writting little programs that I think are helpful to at least one person and randomly posting projects I have been working on or completed. I provide source and yes they might be bad but I encourage others to improve and post changes in the comments so that I may learn. Currently I am working on a Twitch bot for a friend and its basicially complete, just need to make a couple plugins here and there.

Langauges:

Realbasic

VB.NET

C#

C++

Java

R

D

JS

HTML

Lanuages I want to eventually learn:

C

ActionScript

CSS

PHP

Python

Some ASM (preferably x86/IA-32)

IDEs:

1) Visual Studio (for VB.NET and C#, occasionally C++)

2) Code::Blocks (so much better for c++ imo)

lmao, css takes 30 minutes to learn. it's like speaking English.

i want to die

As I said earlier on this forum I started the study Computer science and engineering this year. For one of the subjects (computer organisation) there are a couple of extra assignments (doing them results in a higher grade). Also from the (most probably very few) people that take on this challenge the one with the fastest interpreter will get some bonus points. One of them is writing a brainfuck interpreter in an assembly language of choice. But I'm wondering how much time it will cost me, if it is like a couple nights or a weekend it would be okay to do but I don't want to spend more then 50 hours on it for example. 

It should not be to hard to do since brainfuck has only 8 instructions. But can you guys give me a simple indication whether this is a realistic challenge/problem/assignment or not assuming I have a decent to good knowledge of the assembler language I'll be using. But can you guys help me out a bit with figuring out if its worth it to dive into it and try to make it (when I try something I won't rest before it works usually ^^)? :)

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Hello, I hope that others than Computer Engineering students are also allowed to post here...

I'm a third year student in Mechanical Engineering, but I do some coding for hobby since I think it's a handy skill and also good brain exercise. I know the basics of C, but use C++ now. I have CodeBlocks and QT Creator installed, but I mostly use QT since it enables easy ui creation. I also have some basic knowledge of VBA which has really helped me creating some more advanced macros in Excel.

I guess I like writing graphical programs most, such as langton's ant, fractal explorer etc.

Currently I've been working on a Mandelbrot explorer, it's accelerated with OpenMP and I think it's pretty fast, but because of precision limitations the zoom is limited to around 2^-45 range. After that arbitrary precision math is needed but it really tanks the performance... I've read about fixed point reals, but currently they go a bit over my head.

I'd also like to learn OpenCL but currently the implementation looks too complicated for me, so I'll wait for it to mature or for me to get more skilled :P

... Also I really should learn OpenGL if I am going to continue with graphics...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Hello, first post here. I got into programming by "accident" more than 11 years ago. Strange story really, thinking back.

I was fascinated with computers since I'm eight, family bought the first computer when I was 11, and I built my first computer when I was 15. I've always love computer hardware, and dream about opening my own computer shop when I am older. Somehow when I enter college, I picked the only course that catches my attention: "Diploma in computer studies".  Thinking that it's about CompTIA's A+ Certification, which I did some self-study before, I signed up.

First semester, C Programming 101. Huh? 

I came out on top of my class of 15. Five dropped out, nine switched to multimedia major, and I'm the only one left in a pure coding environment. The rest is history.

I'm not a genius coder. I did it because I could, and it put food on my table, even though I had to move out of my hometown to find work and only return once a year.

I started my career coding in Java, and then moved onto .NET. Mainly C#.  

It's not very exciting when you're just a small-fry in a big company (which happen to sponsor linus tech tips videos!) but at least they have work-life balance, which I didn't get back at my old job!

For the ones that haven't seen this yet:

Hi everyone,

I am currently a senior in highschool. I have always been interested in computers, but didn't get into programming until my school offered a computer science class. At his point the only language I can say that I know would be Python... I am in my second year of highschool computer science now (for those other US highscool students it is an AP course). This whole year is designated to Java, and I am pumped to learn it. We are using eclipse, and I can see where people say that is a drap for newbies.

There is just one question I have and that is what major I should go into? I have had my mind set on CS since freshman year, but now I am considering CSE... I am really stuck and any input would be nive, especially those who have taken both :)

It maybe but I have even not to look at it. I mostly do standalone applications etc, nothing really web to be looking at CSS but that might change in the coming months. Maybe then I will take a look into CSS and also find it easy but for now I have no valid opinions on it.

I'm Noah, I just started learning programming three weeks ago :D

Currently learning JS.

It maybe but I have even not to look at it. I mostly do standalone applications etc, nothing really web to be looking at CSS but that might change in the coming months. Maybe then I will take a look into CSS and also find it easy but for now I have no valid opinions on it.

90% sure you don't actually program in half the languages you claim but k.

i want to die

90% sure you don't actually program in half the languages you claim but k.

90% is pretty high.....

90% is pretty high.....

90% is also a great deal of accuracy.

i want to die

90% is also a great deal of accuracy.

You are free to believe what ever you like good sir/madam.

CSS also isn't programming.

Nor is HTML, for that matter.

I am currently wrapping up my second year at Computer Engineering

For now we have learned or touched

Java (Primarly) (Normal Java programs + Android apps)

JavaScript

jQuery

ASP.NET

C#

C

Assembly

Python

HTML

SQL

CSS

and on my spare time I have tinkered with PHP

Primarly used Visual Studio and Eclipse, but also Netbeans (for PHP)

Why so much (specifically, high level) programming on a Computer Engineering Course?

Why so much (specifically, high level) programming on a Computer Engineering Course?

*shrug* dunno.

Beeing an engineer you are supposed to easly addapt to anything, so the course is making us do that

C and Assembly was in the same half semester course. We had main Java for one semester, but we had a second semester which one teacher demanded Java, and the other didn't care what language we used, and we hadn't learned anything else yet.

Python we used in the "computer part" of Math 2 (In Norway the math subjects for engineers are just named Math 1, Math 2 and Math 3 (Math 3 is only for Sivil Engineering))

C#/ASP.NET, MSSQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript/jQuery was the same course. The point of the course was to get to know .NET for web, so the rest of it just came along

We also had two guest lectures with Python and MySQL, point of it was learning about preventing SQL Injection

This year I am again using Python, together with Bash/Powershell in a course named "Scripting and Hacking"

Also having C++ in "Advanced programming"

C++ is by far my favorite language up until now.

Oh and yes, I think the Norwegian "Computer Engineer" is split into to parts, one of them learns to manage huge local networks with servers etc. the other one specializes you in programming, so maybe more like "Software Engineer" I have heard mentioned around the webs.

I'am doing the programming part, but now in my last year I also take some subjects form the network path (one of those is Scripting and Hacking)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

*shrug* dunno.

Beeing an engineer you are supposed to easly addapt to anything, so the course is making us do that

C and Assembly was in the same half semester course. We had main Java for one semester, but we had a second semester which one teacher demanded Java, and the other didn't care what language we used, and we hadn't learned anything else yet.

Python we used in the "computer part" of Math 2 (In Norway the math subjects for engineers are just named Math 1, Math 2 and Math 3 (Math 3 is only for Sivil Engineering))

C#/ASP.NET, MSSQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript/jQuery was the same course. The point of the course was to get to know .NET for web, so the rest of it just came along

We also had two guest lectures with Python and MySQL, point of it was learning about preventing SQL Injection

This year I am again using Python, together with Bash/Powershell in a course named "Scripting and Hacking"

Also having C++ in "Advanced programming"

C++ is by far my favorite language up until now.

Oh and yes, I think the Norwegian "Computer Engineer" is split into to parts, one of them learns to manage huge local networks with servers etc. the other one specializes you in programming, so maybe more like "Software Engineer" I have heard mentioned around the webs.

I'am doing the programming part, but now in my last year I also take some subjects form the network path (one of those is Scripting and Hacking)

Oh, I see. I guess it's a different thing to Computer engineering here in the UK... (strictly speaking, my course was Electronic and Computer Engineering).

My degree was basically half Electronic Engineering and half Computer Science. Half the time we learned programming, and the other half we focused on Computer hardware at a very low level (even down to transistors and VLSI design).

Oh, I see. I guess it's a different thing to Computer engineering here in the UK... (strictly speaking, my course was Electronic and Computer Engineering).

My degree was basically half Electronic Engineering and half Computer Science. Half the time we learned programming, and the other half we focused on Computer hardware at a very low level (even down to transistors and VLSI design).

Ah, here we have pure Electronic Engineering, but they have the starter course in Java, and are welcome in C++, which many take

Ah, here we have pure Electronic Engineering, but they have the starter course in Java, and are welcome in C++, which many take

Same here, Electrical engineering students learn to code to get a better understanding of how to design computer systems. They learn C and python I believe, Computer Science and Engineering students learn how computers work to be able to code more efficiently. There are even some masters that combine both of those. So you can do them when you have either Bsc. Electrical engineering or Bsc. CS&E.

Same here, Electrical engineering students learn to code to get a better understanding of how to design computer systems. They learn C and python I believe, Computer Science and Engineering students learn how computers work to be able to code more efficiently. There are even some masters that combine both of those. So you can do them when you have either Bsc. Electrical engineering or Bsc. CS&E.

Ah we also learn how computers work so we can code better, mainly in our first semester (in a subject we have together with the eletronic engineers)

Yeah, the pure Electronic and Electrical Engineers at my University did some C and ASM... but nobody else from the EECE school did any programming to the extent that we did.

Given that I was in the EECE School, it was definitely more of code to get a better understanding of how to design computer systems than how computers work to be able to code more efficiently

Yeah, the pure Electronic and Electrical Engineers at my University did some C and ASM... but nobody else from the EECE school did any programming to the extent that we did.

Given that I was in the EECE School, it was definitely more of code to get a better understanding of how to design computer systems than how computers work to be able to code more efficiently

Well thats true! But that doesn't mean Electricals can't code a lot ;) I buddy of mine studies Electrical and is a master in Javascript/jQuery and python :) Because they have a lot of overlap Electrical, Computer and Mathematics is in the same faculty at our University :P Also for our study our main focus isn't becoming a master programmer but rather becoming a master Software Designer (or what its called in English), "hbo"  (Its a level lower than uni here) are generally much better programmers. Explain what they want to make and they can do it. But University students are better in "designing" (again I don't know how you say it in English) algorithms and stuff like that.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, its kinda hard to explain when education systems work a lot different (I guess eh? :P) and I only know how to say certain things in Dutch :P

Also I made a very stupid mistake today at my Computerorganisation exam :( I took 011111111110 (sign and magniutude base2) for 1023. Its the dumbest thing I could've done :P I've got a 9 (grades go from 0-10 here) now instead of a 10. :P I feel so stupid. ^^

Well thats true! But that doesn't mean Electricals can't code a lot ;) I buddy of mine studies Electrical and is a master in Javascript/jQuery and python :) Because they have a lot of overlap Electrical, Computer and Mathematics is in the same faculty at our University :P Also for our study our main focus isn't becoming a master programmer but rather becoming a master Software Designer (or what its called in English), "hbo"  (Its a level lower than uni here) are generally much better programmers. Explain what they want to make and they can do it. But University students are better in "designing" (again I don't know how you say it in English) algorithms and stuff like that.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, its kinda hard to explain when education systems work a lot different (I guess eh? :P) and I only know how to say certain things in Dutch :P

Also I made a very stupid mistake today at my Computerorganisation exam :( I took 011111111110 (sign and magniutude base2) for 1023. Its the dumbest thing I could've done :P I've got a 9 (grades go from 0-10 here) now instead of a 10. :P I feel so stupid. ^^

Nah, I understand. I would say Design is the perfect word. 

I understand different universities do things differently, it's just in mine there was a clear gap between Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Computer Science/Sofware Design (CS/Software Design was not considered Engineering at my Uni, they didn't do any of the Engineering classes which I did along with other Engineering disciplines such as Mechanical and Civil) as they were both in separate schools and the students from each never mingled... apart from my course which had about 10 people in the same year group as me and was the one bridge between the two worlds.

In my experience, Computer Science people HATED learning about hardware and electronics, and the Engineers had little interest in programming (apart from the odd few). I was in the perfect course because I loved learning about both. :D