Programmers Lounge

deafboy

Well hey there! 

I read some books on programming and i am not really fluent in the one language in know.

I learned Ruby and it was really fun. I think once i have a lot of practice with ruby i will pickup ruby on rails.

My dream would be to go into computer science once i reach college. I'm only in high school!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I have a question, how can I make a Keylogger through Python, I know there are many tutorials on YouTube but I have tried them to no avail. If anyone could help me it would be appreciated. I don't want to download one as the recorded logs could be sent to a server; and I'll have no control over them. The use of the Keylogger will not be illegal. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 7:17 AM, ShayMaster [PC Noob] said:

Hi guys I have a question, how can I make a Keylogger through Python, I know there are many tutorials on YouTube but I have tried them to no avail. If anyone could help me it would be appreciated. I don't want to download one as the recorded logs could be sent to a server; and I'll have no control over them. The use of the Keylogger will not be illegal. Thanks.

Found this, I have known Tinkernut to be a reliable source, but I will test his code out first then relay me results back to you.

On 5/2/2016 at 7:17 AM, ShayMaster [PC Noob] said:

Yup that video works and if you have any questions ask me for help, the only downside about the program is that the output writes like

t

h

i

s

and I'm working on a fix for that

Know html and a bit of php

interested in Java 

kappa

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started my programming life just 1 years back after realizing its impacts. I am just learning php and would like to learn more and want to be expert in atleast one programming code.

Online Software Training | Software Tutorials | Softwarevideo

• 2 months later...

I prefer OS X as my environment for programming. It's what I like to call "Enterprise UNIX" which is close enough to Linux for my needs. I'll sometimes SSH into Linux machines when I need to test more platform-specific code.

My preferred editing environment is Vim or any one of the Jetbrains IDEs (IntelliJ is wonderful).

My career has taken me down the path of web development and that's something I like doing but my personal interests are in lower level languages. I love the Rust programming language and have started using it instead of C or C++ for personal projects. I'm currently working on a static site generator in Rust that's sort of compatible with Jekyll (though compatibility is not a goal).

I've been programming since middle school and will be graduating in December with a CS degree and starting my career next January.

• 1 month later...

hi i am red beard from algeria in africa i really want to learn how to build a website for streaming like twitch tv if someone can help it well be very nice
how i get started and where to begin

Hello, are here people who would love to learn functional programming? And also Haskell, Elm or PureScript?

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow Canadian Binar here! Mostly fluent in C++, C#, and Java, though I've also dabbled in Lua and HTML/CSS/PHP (actually taking a class on PHP this semester).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

On 10/11/2016 at 4:28 AM, Red Beard said:

hi i am red beard from algeria in africa i really want to learn how to build a website for streaming like twitch tv if someone can help it well be very nice
how i get started and where to begin

A website like Twitch has hundreds of servers in several locations in the world which they pay for every month just to keep the website running and they hope to get some of their money back from advertising.

They also pay licensing costs for h264 and aac used when re-encoding the streams users upload, and those are often tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars paid in advance.

Such big popular sites are funded with rounds of investments where investors give money for "shares" in the company and their future profits. You just can't make a website like Twitch by yourself these days.

Also, not to offend you, but you're in africa, which barely has any good internet at all. Streaming videos means working with high bitrates and that continent (with few exceptions) doesn't really have those.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

One’s personal location is irrelevant. Most good servers are rented from ISPs like OVH, which have huge Tier 1 networks spanning the globe.

Doesn't change the fact that Africa is connected to the rest of the world with just a bunch of ocean cables with limited and oversold bandwidth, and then most of the people get internet through cell phones (because it's easier and cheaper than laying copper landline wires) or landlines (dial up, dsl, rented lines mostly max 128-256kps etc)

See http://www.submarinecablemap.com and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Africa  and http://www.africabandwidthmaps.com/?p=5186 - 94% of all bandwidh comes of 4 terabits per second at peak comes through ocean cables. divide those 4 terabits per second to about 5 million or whatever subscribers and you'll have maybe 2-5 mbps per user... not to mention a lot of the internet plans using mobile phones are limited to 1-5 GB per month of bandwidth.

In addition, higher bandwidth plans are often very unbalanced, the downstream is much bigger than upstream.. For example even the fiber plans on big providers like Telkom in Zair have 10 mbps down / 2.5 mbps up with 100 GB limit for around 50$ a month which is a lot for Africa.

So it's not really a market that would make it worthwhile to create such a service. And i'm not even getting into things like how to make money to pay for the servers and the bandwidth and energy and cooling for the servers.. think African users will pay on top of their expensive plans to stream on websites.

Oh, maybe i was wrong in assuming the guy wants to make something regional, for users in his area... you mean this beginner African guy wants to make his own Twitch for worldwide users? Yeah, good luck with that. If Youtube can't beat them with their Live service, I'm sure an African noob can do it.

Hi guys,

Im new on the forum and i have a little problem that's bothering me.
Im usually programming in C or Python, i use Sublime Text as my text editor and i use gcc and python3 as compilers (I know its not the best that i could get but it works fine for me). My problem is that my Antivirus program (Avast) is checking every program i write for like 10-15 seconds and sometimes it causes them to crash, so i wanted to ask if anyone here knows a way to turn alerts off for programs i wrote (i know i can disable my antivirus while im programming but i often forget to), just like there were no alerts while i was using Visual Studio.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Im new here, i am 18 years old and i'm studying Computer Science. I'm currently in my first semester, and we are focusing on simple C programing which is kind of boring. I'm looking to improve my skills and i think that joining a forum like this is a great way of doing that. i hope to learn a lot I have mostly worked in C# and using the win forms. It's hard to find stuff to do that is interesting and that i'm able to do, that's not just easy variable/list/ array tasks. I have about 200 hours of experience, does anyone have any thoughts about how to improve beyond the basics?

On 11/24/2016 at 10:47 PM, Knut Egge Holhjem said:

Hi everyone!

Im new here, i am 18 years old and i'm studying Computer Science. I'm currently in my first semester, and we are focusing on simple C programing which is kind of boring. I'm looking to improve my skills and i think that joining a forum like this is a great way of doing that. i hope to learn a lot I have mostly worked in C# and using the win forms. It's hard to find stuff to do that is interesting and that i'm able to do, that's not just easy variable/list/ array tasks. I have about 200 hours of experience, does anyone have any thoughts about how to improve beyond the basics?

I'm new here too :)

Does your school have a co-op/internship program? Those are often a good way to get some first hand experience with "real world" development. Especially the aspects outside of actual programming, like version control. 

It can be tricky at the start to find interesting projects.. but it really is the key. To get better you need to practice. And having some interest in the problem you're trying to solve gives you momentum and motivation. 

When I was in Uni I built a little home server with some spare hardware and started writing some little programs that ran nightly (using cron) to organize the files on it. I installed Subsonic on it and had it automatically make playlists from music that I had added recently. This was all simple lists and file manipulation code but it was actually useful so I kept adding to it, refactoring it etc. I'd stay up late working on it instead of gaming. I'd say that practice was key to me landing my first job out of school.

I probably have that code somewhere still but I don't use it anymore because Spotify is way better, lol

On 26/11/2016 at 9:27 AM, seabrookmx said:

I'm new here too :)

Does your school have a co-op/internship program? Those are often a good way to get some first hand experience with "real world" development. Especially the aspects outside of actual programming, like version control. 

It can be tricky at the start to find interesting projects.. but it really is the key. To get better you need to practice. And having some interest in the problem you're trying to solve gives you momentum and motivation. 

When I was in Uni I built a little home server with some spare hardware and started writing some little programs that ran nightly (using cron) to organize the files on it. I installed Subsonic on it and had it automatically make playlists from music that I had added recently. This was all simple lists and file manipulation code but it was actually useful so I kept adding to it, refactoring it etc. I'd stay up late working on it instead of gaming. I'd say that practice was key to me landing my first job out of school.

I probably have that code somewhere still but I don't use it anymore because Spotify is way better, lol

I think we got some of that if i continue to a master. but for now it's only school. It's kinda of a shame, i had a "part time" programming job that i enjoyd and learnd a lot from worked in a team and had do do version control and all that. But had to move for uni and now i feel like i don't leran as much.

Guess i wil have to look at what i can do, what is possible and that is somewhat feels useful.
i was thinking about a music "app" that sorts music with features i feel is missing from spotify.. do you have any other sugestions?

What do you do now? what direction did u take in uni?

1 hour ago, Knut Egge Holhjem said:

I think we got some of that if i continue to a master. but for now it's only school. It's kinda of a shame, i had a "part time" programming job that i enjoyd and learnd a lot from worked in a team and had do do version control and all that. But had to move for uni and now i feel like i don't leran as much.

Guess i wil have to look at what i can do, what is possible and that is somewhat feels useful.
i was thinking about a music "app" that sorts music with features i feel is missing from spotify.. do you have any other sugestions?

What do you do now? what direction did u take in uni?

I took the shortest path I could as I didn't really see myself doing a master's. I worked part time throughout school, initially through a co-op program then on my own. 

I now work at a music distributor. We're the guys take take master recordings from record labels, then reencode them, store and translate all the metadata, and then send them out to the hundreds of online retailers (Spotify being one of the bigger ones obviously). 

There's lots of value adds in that industry too, like providing a system for the labels to manage/create albums, see their sales revenue in fancy graphs etc. 

It's an industry I didn't know existed before I graduated. There's tons of software companies like that.. keeps it interesting for us :)

On 11/25/2016 at 0:47 AM, Knut Egge Holhjem said:

Hi everyone!

As a person who is the same age as you (18) and also in college, I say that just making projects on your own or with a team is the best experience you can get. I taught myself sooo much Computer Science through K-12 through projects and experimentation. As a result, I am very proficient in: HTML5, JavaScript, C/C++, Java, Visual Basic and other things that aren't exactly related to programming.

Get yourself involved with a side programming project that fires you up. I am currently making a Cross-Platform Development Environment for the High School Robotics League which is written in JavaScript and C++. I have been furiously programming for 2 months now and, I learned so much about JavaScript as a result.

Since you are into C, I strongly suggest that you make a project for Linux like a Data Analyser or, a basic Vulkan (Graphics API) Gaming Engine! It will seem far-fetched for you but, after a lot of experimentation, research, effort and, patience, I can assure you, You will learn A LOT and I mean A LOT about C (also Problem Solving.) You can also apply principles that you learn in class into your project and add them as you go along.

That one smart guy.

I've been trying to stay active with Python for the past two years, I'm at a stage where I'm comfortable solving a problem or transforming data from one form into another. However, I don't have a larger project to work on or contribute to that will teach me how to build out a larger program instead of just quick scripts. Anyone know of any courses or goals that can specifically help with this?

21 hours ago, transposedmessenger said:

I've been trying to stay active with Python for the past two years, I'm at a stage where I'm comfortable solving a problem or transforming data from one form into another. However, I don't have a larger project to work on or contribute to that will teach me how to build out a larger program instead of just quick scripts. Anyone know of any courses or goals that can specifically help with this?

Github is a good place to start.

That one smart guy.

BTW, Advent of Code 2016 is live, so if you need an excuse to do more programming/a programming challenge, it's quite a bit of fun IMO.

http://adventofcode.com

I'm doing it all in Java, so if you want to see some code examples, send me a PM! There's also a subreddit dedicated to it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 12/3/2016 at 8:51 PM, Brekmister said:

Github is a good place to start.

Do you know of any projects in particular? Some of them are kind of hard to just jump into.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:05 PM, transposedmessenger said:

Do you know of any projects in particular? Some of them are kind of hard to just jump into.

Sorry for the late reply,

Here is a huge list of Python projects that you can reverse engineer: https://github.com/vinta/awesome-python

That one smart guy.

• 2 weeks later...

How many different programming languages are there that are currently still in use today? (Naming would be extra helpful)

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

• 3 weeks later...

I think nearly all serious langs are being used somewhere. By serious I mean not being troll lang like chickenchicken, whitespace or ArnoldC ><