Cores VS. GHZ

I am trying to decide between a intel pentium anniversary edition, witch is unlocked so I could overclock, but does not have hyper-threding. Linus got the thing up to 4.7ghz. Oh and its only $70. And a i3 which isn't unlocked but has hyper-threding, so 4 threads. I would be using it for gaming. So ghz or cores??

I am trying to decide between a intel pentium anniversary edition, witch is unlocked so I could overclock, but does not have hyper-threding. Linus got the thing up to 4.7ghz. Oh and its only $70. And a i3 which isn't unlocked but has hyper-threding, so 4 threads. I would be using it for gaming. So ghz or cores??

Go with the cheaper G3258 and then upgrade to a broadwell i5/i7 when you can afford it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

For gaming only and not productivity, the G3258 would be the more cost effective approach. How long it'll be able to run the most current games is up in the air as many games these days are better able to take advantage of more cores/hyper threading, which the G3258 lacks. That being said, the i3 wont be much better with these potential future games anyway. So the G3258 is definitely better now, and probably equal to in the future.

Also keep in mind that you can overclock the G3258 with cheap h81 chipset boards so long as the manufacturer provided a bios update to make it work, so check to make sure that's the case and then update the bios. You don't need a Z97 board. h81 + G3258 is an amazing price for performance combo right now.

You don't need a Z97 board. h81 + G3258 is an amazing price for performance combo right now.

The only downside with going h81 is that you can't upgrade to a 4690k/4790k/5670k/5770k. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you just game, or do regular stuff like watch videos, web browse etc then the G3258 is a better option, if you get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it. Also, if you pair it with a Z97 board you can later upgrade to an i5/i7 when you can afford it.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

The only downside with going h81 is that you can't upgrade to a 4690k/4790k/5670k/5770k. 

If you just game, or do regular stuff like watch videos, web browse etc then the G3258 is a better option, if you get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it. Also, if you pair it with a Z97 board you can later upgrade to an i5/i7 when you can afford it.

In this price bracket, I really doubt he's going to dump another $230+ into the processor within the next few months. If he were going to do that, it'd be better to just wait and get that in the first place. I can't speak for everyone, but I would never spend 10% of my budget on making sure I can upgrade to a different CPU when the better board you get may be EOL by the time you want to make that CPU upgrade anyway. I mean, z97 vs h81 is like a $110 minimum vs $60 price difference, and I'm guessing this build is only $500-$600 max, otherwise he'd be better served with better parts to begin with. I always advocate building the best computer you can at the time because that's the only real certainty you have, and if you do it right you wont need to upgrade soon.

In this price bracket, I really doubt he's going to dump another $230+ into the processor within the next few months. If he were going to do that, it'd be better to just wait and get that in the first place. I can't speak for everyone, but I would never spend 10% of my budget on making sure I can upgrade to a different CPU when the better board you get may be EOL by the time you want to make that CPU upgrade anyway. I mean, z97 vs h81 is like a $110 minimum vs $60 price difference, and I'm guessing this build is only $500-$600 max, otherwise he'd be better served with better parts to begin with. I always advocate building the best computer you can at the time because that's the only real certainty you have, and if you do it right you wont need to upgrade soon.

Well, a z97 board will support broadwell, and a broadwell (or haswell) i5/i7 will last years longer than a g3258. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

lol not the pentium. i3 4150 for sure with a cheap h97 board.you will be set for a good time. h97 is compatible with broadwell so its an easy upgrade to a locked i5 in like 2 years

Go with the unlocked pentium, single threaded performance is more important than core count for most games out there.   Oh and like others have been saying get a z97 board, that way you will get more features as well as broadwell support in the future.

g3258 :) hyperthreading is for the weak of spirit 

Its all looks these days

i'd go with the i3 UNLESS you plan on upgrading the pentium to an unlocked i5 or i7 within the next year or so.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

for gaming only more ghzon the same intel platform is almost always better

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

go with the Pentium. an i3 is just more expense for no increase in performance at all 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016