Consistant weird stuttering

iosheriko

Hey LTT,

iv'e been dealing with this problem since about 2-3 days after i built this computer.

I'm getting weird frame stuttering whenever i'm watching videos, playing games, or just browsing the web.Basically always.

Describing this by words is kinda hard, but it's kinda like if you go to a page,

then scroll up and down really really fast.Go ahead and try for yourself.

Kinda annoying, huh? now imagine this happening all the time without knowing when or where it's going to happen.

Things iv'e already tried:

RMAing the gpu

reinstalling win 7

upgrading to win 8.1

switching ram slots

testing cpu, gpu and ram

tried different cables and different monitors

That's about it.

I'm really lost and i wish you people can help me solve this..

quick specs:

i5-4570

B85M-D2V

single 8GB ram stick

MSI R9 280X

seasonic S12II-620W

Thanks in advance =)

And the hard drive?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

It's the Hard drive.

But just in case, try removing the graphics card and run it with the integrated GPU, see if that fixes it... but it's probably the HDD..

It's the Hard drive.

But just in case, try removing the graphics card and run it with the integrated GPU, see if that fixes it... but it's probably the HDD..

I did tried to remove the gpu when i first got this pc and the problem was gone, that's the reason i RMA'd it.

is there a reason why the hard drive acts like this?

~bump~

*i'm new here so i'm not aware of any bump rules, if i did something wrong please don't lock up my thread*

I tried defragging the HDD, the problem remains.

Can anyone help? i'm really lost here

First, I'm having a hard time understanding the problem you are encountering: "if you go to a page,聽then scroll up and down really really fast."(??)

Can you possibly record a video of the problem so that we can see exactly what you are describing?

Second, you say you removed the GPU and聽"and the problem was gone" so you RMA'd it. Okay.

So problem solved then...?

"I did tried to remove the gpu when i first got this pc and the problem was gone, that's the reason i RMA'd it."

This just makes no sense to me.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X聽| EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

First, I'm having a hard time understanding the problem you are encountering: "if you go to a page,聽then scroll up and down really really fast."(??)

Can you possibly record a video of the problem so that we can see exactly what you are describing?

Second, you say you removed the GPU and聽"and the problem was gone" so you RMA'd it. Okay.

So problem solved then...?

"I did tried to remove the gpu when i first got this pc and the problem was gone, that's the reason i RMA'd it."

This just makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

i can't really provide a video as i don't really know when these stutters happen. That may be the biggest problem as i could barely get support for this. i know trying to describe it sounds really dumb, but that's the best i could do.

And please explain what doesn't make sense? i got the PC, had this problem after about 3 days, i suspected the GPU was faulty so i removed it and there was no stuttering.

i replaced the gpu with a new one, and the problem keeps occuring.

Thanks for the quick reply.

i can't really provide a video as i don't really know when these stutters happen. That may be the biggest problem as i could barely get support for this. i know trying to describe it sounds really dumb, but that's the best i could do.

And please explain what doesn't make sense? i got the PC, had this problem after about 3 days, i suspected the GPU was faulty so i removed it and there was no stuttering.

i replaced the gpu with a new one, and the problem keeps occuring.

Hmm... I still need some clarification. so when you removed the GPU the first time and RMA'd it, how were you outputting to the monitor? Different video card? Integrated graphics?

then when you received the replacement video card, the same problems were occuring? Are you SURE that they actually gave you a different video card? compare serial numbers.

Otherwise, it still doesn't make sense to me.

This definitely sounds like a driver issue if anything.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X聽| EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Hmm... I still need some clarification. so when you removed the GPU the first time and RMA'd it, how were you outputting to the monitor? Different video card? Integrated graphics?

then when you received the replacement video card, the same problems were occuring? Are you SURE that they actually gave you a different video card? compare serial numbers.

Otherwise, it still doesn't make sense to me.

This definitely sounds like a driver issue if anything.

i removed the GPU, connected the monitor(Philips 226VL) to the integrated graphics on the mobo(in that time period there were no stutters), after a week a new card came,聽

the person from the shop told me that they didn't have the time to test it so they just gave me a new one(i'm 100% sure it's a new one, already checked),

and the problem kept on occuring.

could this be a driver issue even if i had both win 7&8.1 and it happened on both?

i removed the GPU, connected the monitor(Philips 226VL) to the integrated graphics on the mobo(in that time period there were no stutters), after a week a new card came,聽

the person from the shop told me that they didn't have the time to test it so they just gave me a new one(i'm 100% sure it's a new one, already checked),

and the problem kept on occuring.

could this be a driver issue even if i had both win 7&8.1 and it happened on both?

It very well could be. I would try a different version of driver, either 13.7 or 13.1 and see if that changes anything.

Also, check to make sure your monitor is running at 60Hz. I don't see why it wouldn't, but it doesn't hurt to check.

It very well could be. I would try a different version of driver, either 13.7 or 13.1 and see if that changes anything.

Also, check to make sure your monitor is running at 60Hz. I don't see why it wouldn't, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I will try that, thanks for the suggestion.

The monitor is running at 60Hz, might OC it to 70 if i solve this.

sorry for the double post(again, not sure if it's legal or not),

but where can i find the old drivers download?

AMD's website only gives me the current尾 drivers.

Are you sure those are even compatible with R9 280X?

iv'e stumbled upon a 13.1 driver review and in the compatible GPUs list there wasn't even any R series GPUs..

Oops, that's my fault. I completely mixed up my AMD driver revisions. I meant聽14.1 and聽14.7 or 14.8 (actually 14.X latest beta). Try the latest beta driver first.

Make sure to completely remove any old drivers in add/remove programs and device manager before installing new ones. You want a fresh installation.

All old versions of catalyst drivers can be found here.

Oops, that's my fault. I completely mixed up my AMD driver revisions. I meant聽14.1 and聽14.7 or 14.8 (actually 14.X latest beta). Try the latest beta driver first.

Make sure to completely remove any old drivers in add/remove programs and device manager before installing new ones. You want a fresh installation.

All old versions of catalyst drivers can be found here.

I removed the old drivers and installed 14.7 beta drivers, there were no issues for a few hours, then the problem occured again.

one thing i noticed in the few hours that i was without any drivers, is that there was no stuttering at all.

Hi iosheriko,

Is your monitor brand new or old? Maybe try with a different monitor? If you dont have one, plug into your tv using HDMI.

Try updating the motherboard's bios, drivers and all windows updates.

Gigabyte motherboard drivers ( Realtek HD Audio Dirver, Intel Management Engine Interface, Intel INF installation, Realtek LAN Driver)

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4729#dl

Hi iosheriko,

Is your monitor brand new or old? Maybe try with a different monitor? If you dont have one, plug into your tv using HDMI.

Try updating the motherboard's bios, drivers and all windows updates.

Gigabyte motherboard drivers ( Realtek HD Audio Dirver, Intel Management Engine Interface, Intel INF installation, Realtek LAN Driver)

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4729#dl

Hey kenniit,

My monitor is new-ish, it is about 2 years old but barely been used. Already tested on another monitor, the stutter still occurs.

I've noticed that while i don't have any GPU drivers installed, this problem doesn't seem to be happening. This. however, might not be 100% true is i've only been without a driver for about an hour.

I'm downloading the motherboard drivers you mentioned, and installing the latest AMD beta driver(14.8), and will update soon.聽

~bump~

tried multiple driver versions(14.4, 14.8, 14.9), still doesn't seem to go away.

It seems that its the graphics or hard drive. Maybe try installing the video card in another computer ( E.g. your 2nd computer or friends computer) and you borrow his graphics card and he borrows your graphics card. If no stutters occurs for a few days thats means its the video card.聽

If there is still stutters, it might be probably the motherboard PCI express Slot.