MSI to release cheaper versions of the 900 series reference cards

LukaP

Mod? Anyone?
I love plain coolers like those, you can do way more things with them that with custom ones.

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

Anyone forsee some melting plastic coolers?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

this is maxwell, not fermi :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

it will be the same as the reference design. the only change here is that instead of the expensive metal casing, it now has cheap plastics

Yeah that is a bit swaak (poor)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Yeah that is a bit swaak (poor)

thats the point... if you would bother to read anything me or TTL have written. or atleast the topic title... -.-

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

You *usually* don't see that side of the card when it's in your rig. Just put a backplate on it.

backplates are nice.

So the ''Geforce glow'' will still on there?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

@LukaP that's the 600 series cooler 

no it isn't this is the second time I've seen you say this, it's the 700 series with a plastic shroud.

geforce-gtx680-sli.jpg

MSI and Zotac have been using the same design as OP on GTX 770s for various retailers for the past year or so, it's continuation does not surprise me at all. it's good for those who want a cheap reference card or want to watercool.

thats the point... if you would bother to read anything me or TTL have written. or atleast the topic title... -.-

I don't understand what you want, I read your OP and commented what my thoughts were

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

I don't understand what you want, I read your OP and commented what my thoughts were

you said that it looks poor. thats what the point is. that its cheap and poor, because of perf/$ and for people who dont need the cooler anyway

Hells yeah, If you are planning on watercooling anyway, why pay for the nicer air cooler that is just going to sit in the closet?

Good call MSI.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I have a 780 Ti, and i can assure you there is no metal. It is nothing more than plastic painted silver.

I would buy the cheaper model and then buy an aftermarket heatsink for a GPU and use that instead. It would run quieter and cooler with the Raijintek Morpheus and some descent 120mm fans.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

They did it for the 700 series as well

http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/N7702GD5OC.html#hero-overview

600.png

My guess being that had a whole heap of GTX 600/500 series coolers made, but never used, and want to get rid of old stock.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

With cards that have a max TDP of 180W? I dont see that being an issue :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They used plastic shrouds with the GTX 480.

If the plastic survived a 480, it can survive anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

I love this idea. But how about do the same with your custom pcb layout design with all the over kill parts with cheap cooler. See were I'm going with this.

you said that it looks poor. thats what the point is. that its cheap and poor, because of perf/$ and for people who dont need the cooler anyway

I said "that is a bit swaak" meaning the situation of this cooler is poor, a poor idea.

I said "that is a bit swaak" meaning the situation of this cooler is poor, a poor idea.

ok, so how is it a poor idea? i think its an exelent idea. i dont wanna pay the extra 50€ for the metal one, if im just gonna take it off anyway

ok, so how is it a poor idea? i think its an exelent idea. i dont wanna pay the extra 50€ for the metal one, if im just gonna take it off anyway

:mellow:

Also consider that not everyone has a window in their case, and the aesthetics of the inside of their case are irrelevant.

Individual parts don't need to cost more to look sexy if you never see them.

Cool for the watercooling guys

I remeber nvidia stating that the magensium version costs ~70$, so i suppose we could see ~40-50$ of the final price with the plastic one... Now if you are not WC and are going to buy the 970 or 980 reference, i can't see you going for the plastic shroud :D

Too ugly for me. I'd gladly pay the extra for the standard cooler vs that.